Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2014, 01:17 AM

51 posts, read 156,558 times

Advertisements

Hey,
So I may be moving to the area soon (Work would be in Rockville) so I'm trying to figure out which place would fit me the most in the Rockville/Montgomery County area and make me feel at home. I'm currently in Austin, TX but I came from Western, NY so I'm somewhat familiar with the north :P

What I'm hoping/looking for:

1) Safety - I really would like to live in an place that wouldn't scare me if I were walking to my car or leave my apartment and get robbed, etc. I think safety is the most important factor for me. I hear things about Maryland and how it has a lot of crime (not sure if it's true) but it worries me a bit!

2) Affordability - Since work would be in Rockville I would like to at least live somewhat close-by but I've noticed that Rockville is a little on the expensive side, but maybe you get what you pay for? I think my budget would be up to maybe $1,300 max and that might still be too steep.

3) Amenities- I'm in my early 20's and I'm single, I wouldn't mind driving a little to get somewhere that has things to do but preferably close-by, what area has a lot to do?

4) Community - Kind of a ridiculous question but are there any areas that have more younger people?

5) Wegmans - I'm kidding... maybe... I really miss Wegmans lol, maybe a place close-by? :P

Thanks for the help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 08:59 AM

490 posts, read 920,806 times
You look at Jefferson at Inigo's Crossing (Rockville/North Bethesda area) your close to work, mtero to D.C. and plenty of things to do in rockville.

Jefferson at Inigo's Crossing website: Jefferson at Inigo's Crossing Apartments: Photos, Floorplans, Availability and Pricing. Address: 5405 Tuckerman Lane, North Bethesda, MD. Luxury Gables Apartments for Rent.

Metro Pointe in Wheaton is another place you should check out real close to Rockville and Downtown Silver Spring where shops, retail, Young professionals, Very Diverse and plenty of entertainment.

Metro Pointe in Wheaton Website: METROPOINTE

Portico at Silver Spring Metro is right in the Heart of Downtown Silver Spring and about 15 to 20mins (depending on the time you have to be at work) from Rockville

Portico at Silver Spring Metro website: Luxury Silver Spring Apartments | Portico at Silver Spring Metro Apartments

Old 08-15-2014, 09:29 AM

13,345 posts, read 26,844,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohnny View Post
4) Community - Kind of a ridiculous question but are there any areas that have more younger people?

5) Wegmans - I'm kidding... maybe... I really miss Wegmans lol, maybe a place close-by? :P
Rockville is a good location, and the PP has other good suggestions. Wheaton is an place that has improved and gone more upscale in the past few years.

The closest Wegman's is in Columbia (I think) but there are Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and other local gourmet options.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:47 AM

15,402 posts, read 25,672,841 times
The closest Wegmans is in Germantown. If I were the OP, I'd consider the Kentlands in Gaithersburg, or Fallsgrove in Rockville. If those don't work, look in North Bethesda.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:53 AM

13,345 posts, read 26,844,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
The closest Wegmans is in Germantown. If I were the OP, I'd consider the Kentlands in Gaithersburg, or Fallsgrove in Rockville. If those don't work, look in North Bethesda.
His budget is $1300/month. Is that possible in Kentlands or Fallsgrove?

Old 08-15-2014, 07:37 PM

15,402 posts, read 25,672,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
His budget is $1300/month. Is that possible in Kentlands or Fallsgrove?
I missed that. Probably not. Since safety is so important, maybe they should think about Damascus or Clarksburg, or even Frederick on that budget.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:52 PM

961 posts, read 2,019,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Excellent locations for where he'll be working but at $1300 I don't think he can get even a 1 bedroom at any of those places. If he's ok with a studio or shared housing then options open up.

Try Park Station Apartments (in Old Town Gaithersburg). Neighborhood not as good as Kentlands, but still safe, and the apartments themselves are sort of "luxury"*. Park Station 1 bedrooms start in the 1300s.

*Anyone notice how the definition of luxury has gone up (with matching prices)? 10 years ago Park Station or Avalon Grovesnor/Travilah/Decoverly were considered luxury. But now they look really dated when compared to some of these new units with concierges, underground parking, outdoor fireplaces, steel appliances, etc.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:58 PM

15 posts, read 17,054 times
If a studio is an option, Silver Spring/Wheaton would have some options in your price range. Getting to Rockville for work would not be very difficult because it's against the main flow of traffic. Especially good for #s 3 and 4. But I'm biased, that's the decision I made

Old 08-18-2014, 11:52 PM

132 posts, read 323,455 times
Bethesda is not very affordable. Depending on your budget, I suggest looking elsewhere in Montgomery County. I suggest looking in areas like Takoma Park, Silver Spring, and Rockville. Silver Spring and Rockville have Downtown's, and they're not too far from Downtown Bethesda or Downtown DC (which = more singles to meet). All those areas have the friendly atmosphere that Austin has, especially Takoma Park/Silver Spring. The only Wegmans I know of in Maryland is in Crofton (Anne Arundel County, about 30 minutes from MoCo). Sorry, I'm kind of new here myself, and am from Anne Arundel County, so I'm not too sure about the Wegmans.

Old 08-26-2014, 09:44 PM

51 posts, read 156,558 times
Hey everyone, thanks for the feedback! I have a list of apartments that I was wondering if people have lived in or heard of?

1) Reserve at Ballenger Creek-Frederick
2) Luxury Apartments Gaithersburg - Hidden Creek Apartments In Gaithersburg, MD 20877
3) https://www.elmsliving.com
4) Residences at King Farm | Bernstein Management Corporation
5) The Apartments at Miramont | Southern Management

List might update but those come to mind. I really am interested in ballenger creek but the commute kinda worries me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland