Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 09:13 AM

2,193 posts, read 2,687,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyInDC View Post
I live in Rockville, and it seems every where I drive I see new townhomes or apartments or zoning requests for new developments. It sickens me to see every inch of Montgomery County being overdeveloped. What is going to happen to the schools or the traffic.

My wife and I were shopping at the new Harris Teeter near Rio and stopped in to "tour" one of the new KB Homes being built there. First off, the nice lady tried to sell me on how great Gaithersburg HS was (I laughed silently inside) and how we were in one of the best school zones in MoCo. But, what sickened me more is the sloppy construction of the home we toured. Not the fancy model home, but a "move-in ready" home. There was hardwood throughout that had paint splatters on the edges. You could see the drywall seems and screw heads through the finish, crooked outlets and light switches.

I would move out to Damascus or Mt Airy if it wasnt happening out there too in Clarksburg

Arg...
I'm pretty sure that since the beginning of our species there have been cranky people whining about other people existing. Procreation is a thing; get used to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 06:33 AM

16 posts, read 21,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The medical center is not "jammed" into White Oak. Laurel Medical Center exists just fine on a 2-lane road without causing massive amounts of traffic. I'm not sure one hospital qualifies for overdevelopment and a traffic burden.
Not referring to the Laurel Medical Center. Referring to a proposed WAH hospital and Science Center to be created around Rt 29 and Industrial Parkway, adding 10,000 jobs to the area

The Montgomery County Council began deliberations Tuesday on a land-use plan to bring jobs to the county’s long-neglected eastern edge, but at a cost: added congestion on roads already choked with rush-hour traffic.

The heart of the plan, called the White Oak Science Gateway, is a joint venture of the county government and a private developer to create a hub for medical and life sciences research on land east of Route 29, off Industrial Parkway.

Officials envision an employment center that could produce as many as 10,000 new jobs, catalyzed by the presence of the Food and Drug Administration headquarters next door.

Adventist HealthCare has also purchased land nearby for as a possible site for Washington Adventist Hospital, pending approval from state regulators.

Try nitpicking details of that quote.

Old 09-24-2014, 08:34 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC42 View Post
Not referring to the Laurel Medical Center. Referring to a proposed WAH hospital and Science Center to be created around Rt 29 and Industrial Parkway, adding 10,000 jobs to the area

The Montgomery County Council began deliberations Tuesday on a land-use plan to bring jobs to the county’s long-neglected eastern edge, but at a cost: added congestion on roads already choked with rush-hour traffic.

The heart of the plan, called the White Oak Science Gateway, is a joint venture of the county government and a private developer to create a hub for medical and life sciences research on land east of Route 29, off Industrial Parkway.

Officials envision an employment center that could produce as many as 10,000 new jobs, catalyzed by the presence of the Food and Drug Administration headquarters next door.

Adventist HealthCare has also purchased land nearby for as a possible site for Washington Adventist Hospital, pending approval from state regulators.

Try nitpicking details of that quote.
I was using the Laurel hospital as an example of a hospital existing on a two lane road (smaller than Rt. 29) that doesn't create the traffic you envision for Rt. 29. The new WAH hospital, which will not employ 10,000 people, is planned to be a part of a larger LifeSci Village project that will employ that many people once fully developed.

Quote:
The hospital has 1,300 employees and would hire more to staff the new facility.
Washington Adventist Hospital eyes move to White Oak from Takoma Park -- Gazette.Net

I'm well aware of the plans for this part of Montgomery County. Perhaps more than some. I have been tracking these plans for about 5 years now.

My point was that the traffic you see now on Rt. 29 is not from any over-development within that part of Montgomery county. People from other counties use Rt. 29 including myself. And as those areas continue to develop they create the congestion you see now on Rt. 29 regardless of whether there is development in that part of Montgomery County or not. And adding a 1,300+ employee hospital won't make it any worse. Take away commuters coming from Howard, Anne Arundel, and Prince George's counties and I can guarantee there won't be any congestion on Rt. 29 from Montgomery County commuters alone. Which is to say, there is no over-development in that part of Montgomery county.

What we can both agree on is that the LifeSci project as a whole will have an impact on traffic in the area unless there are some plans to include efficient mass transit such as BRT. But even with the new LifeSci Village, east Montgomery County would be way behind the rest of the county in terms of development compared to Bethesda, Rockville, Silver Spring, Gaithersburg.

See for yourself.

Attached Thumbnails
Montgomery County Overdevelopment-emc.jpg  

Old 09-25-2014, 12:57 PM

1,359 posts, read 3,721,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyInDC View Post
I live in Rockville, and it seems every where I drive I see new townhomes or apartments or zoning requests for new developments. It sickens me to see every inch of Montgomery County being overdeveloped. What is going to happen to the schools or the traffic.

My wife and I were shopping at the new Harris Teeter near Rio and stopped in to "tour" one of the new KB Homes being built there. First off, the nice lady tried to sell me on how great Gaithersburg HS was (I laughed silently inside) and how we were in one of the best school zones in MoCo. But, what sickened me more is the sloppy construction of the home we toured. Not the fancy model home, but a "move-in ready" home. There was hardwood throughout that had paint splatters on the edges. You could see the drywall seems and screw heads through the finish, crooked outlets and light switches.

I would move out to Damascus or Mt Airy if it wasnt happening out there too in Clarksburg

Arg...
It's not that the county is being overdeveloped it's that development is being concentrated into down-county and mid-county. If you drive up MD 28 to Poolesville and beyond or MD 27 to Damascus and beyond you would feel like you were 100 miles from DC. The Agricultural Reserve (which covers ~1/3 of the land in the county) prevents exact what you fear from happening. If it wasn't for the Reserve, sprawl could theoretically continue all the way Frederick County eventually to the PA border...

Old 09-29-2014, 06:58 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpterp View Post
It's not that the county is being overdeveloped it's that development is being concentrated into down-county and mid-county. If you drive up MD 28 to Poolesville and beyond or MD 27 to Damascus and beyond you would feel like you were 100 miles from DC. The Agricultural Reserve (which covers ~1/3 of the land in the county) prevents exact what you fear from happening. If it wasn't for the Reserve, sprawl could theoretically continue all the way Frederick County eventually to the PA border...
Give it time.

The County and State have LOTS of rules about development and zoning and LOTS of instances where they waive or repeal them as soon as a developer waves his cash in front of the politicians.

Nothing is sacred in MoCo. Except the almighty dollar.

I hope Donald Trump never notices. He would make MoCo his personal brothel.

Old 09-29-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Give it time.

The County and State have LOTS of rules about development and zoning and LOTS of instances where they waive or repeal them as soon as a developer waves his cash in front of the politicians.

Nothing is sacred in MoCo. Except the almighty dollar.

I hope Donald Trump never notices. He would make MoCo his personal brothel.
You know, just saying something doesn't make it true. Please provide examples where the county waived/repealed rules regarding development in the Ag Reserve. I'd love to know which developers are getting these waivers and which politicians they're bribing with money. Surely you have evidence and aren't just a libelous fool.

Old 09-29-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
You know, just saying something doesn't make it true. Please provide examples where the county waived/repealed rules regarding development in the Ag Reserve. I'd love to know which developers are getting these waivers and which politicians they're bribing with money. Surely you have evidence and aren't just a libelous fool.
I said, "Give it time." It is the first sentence in my statement. Right there, at the beginning.

I am predicting the future, possibly 50 or more years down the road. Is it set in stone? Of course not. I hope I am wrong.

And I said nothing about bribes. They don't need to make that kind of effort.

So no, I am not a libelous fool (gee did I hurt Mr Big Business' feelings?).

Can you can read something properly?

Old 09-29-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I said, "Give it time." It is the first sentence in my statement. Right there, at the beginning.

I am predicting the future, possibly 50 or more years down the road. Is it set in stone? Of course not. I hope I am wrong.

And I said nothing about bribes. They don't need to make that kind of effort.

So no, I am not a libelous fool (gee did I hurt Mr Big Business' feelings?).

Can you can read something properly?
lol. That was the worst backtracking attempt I've seen in awhile, but okay. We'll all pretend like your comment doesn't say what it says about money and that it isn't clearly written in the present tense.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
lol. That was the worst backtracking attempt I've seen in awhile, but okay. We'll all pretend like your comment doesn't say what it says.
No doubt. Especially since it revealed you for the inarticulate fool that you are.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:00 PM

692 posts, read 1,004,545 times
Quote:
LOTS of instances where they waive or repeal them as soon as a developer waves his cash in front of the politicians.
I don't know about "lots" of instances but the Shady Grove Metro project is one. The land next to the metro was industrial or light industrial and is now turning into mixed use commercial and residential. Some of the county facilities that next to the metro are being moved into a residential area onto land that many, many moons ago was initially zoned as residential as it is bordered by homes, a park and an agricultural preserve and some spot that scouts sometimes use. The land was re-zoned from residential into light industrial so the county could move the buildings there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland