Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 05:06 PM

368 posts, read 1,388,382 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My work will be taking me to the DC area late next year. I'll be working in Falls Church, Arlington, Bethesda, and perhaps Alexandria. I am not interested in living in Virginia.

My budget will make anywhere in this area tricky. I'm probably topped out at 400K, and will be eating beanie weanies 5 days a week at that price.

Here are my needs:
- Schools are top priority. I have a middle school son with Aspergers and a high school son with ADHD. I expect them to do fine in an inclusion setting with appropriate supports. I prefer a high school size somewhere south of 1500, but will adjust if I have too.
- Suburban setting. I need easyish access to speech/occupational therapists for weekly after school appointments.
- Reasonable commute. I'm good with 45 miles or so. I will be on the road early going in, and late coming home, so hopefully that will alleviate some of the congestion I have to suffer through.
- Not a townhome or condo community. One of my children screams often, to the point that it would be disruptive to anyone living adjacent to us.
- I'm ok with renting, if that's my only option.

I'm familiar with Rockville, Gaithersburg, Bethesda areas. Thats a bit too urban for me....
Poolesville, Damascus, and Clarksburg are too rural for easy access to therapists....

I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.... any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:45 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
Hello!

My work will be taking me to the DC area late next year. I'll be working in Falls Church, Arlington, Bethesda, and perhaps Alexandria. I am not interested in living in Virginia.

My budget will make anywhere in this area tricky. I'm probably topped out at 400K, and will be eating beanie weanies 5 days a week at that price.

Here are my needs:
- Schools are top priority. I have a middle school son with Aspergers and a high school son with ADHD. I expect them to do fine in an inclusion setting with appropriate supports. I prefer a high school size somewhere south of 1500, but will adjust if I have too.
- Suburban setting. I need easyish access to speech/occupational therapists for weekly after school appointments.
- Reasonable commute. I'm good with 45 miles or so. I will be on the road early going in, and late coming home, so hopefully that will alleviate some of the congestion I have to suffer through.
- Not a townhome or condo community. One of my children screams often, to the point that it would be disruptive to anyone living adjacent to us.
- I'm ok with renting, if that's my only option.

I'm familiar with Rockville, Gaithersburg, Bethesda areas. Thats a bit too urban for me....
Poolesville, Damascus, and Clarksburg are too rural for easy access to therapists....

I'm looking for a needle in a haystack.... any ideas?
Just a question........why is VA off the table? There are better experts than me, but I think trying to stay north of the Potomac is going to make your search much harder.

You may want to try Frederick, MD.

- 45 miles away from D.C.
- a city of about 60k in its own right
- your budget should get you a SFH.
- Schools are pretty good.

I am not sure about getting into the heart of Northern VA from Frederick though.......it would be quiet the haul.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:20 PM

Without opening up too much debate, it centers around VA's special education system, and some pieces of it that are so unacceptable as to make living in the state impossible for me.

If my kids were on the other end of the continuum and in honors/IB classes, I would have an entirely different view.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:41 PM

7,012 posts, read 11,307,950 times
Quote:
Without opening up too much debate, it centers around VA's special education system, and some pieces of it that are so unacceptable as to make living in the state impossible for me.

If my kids were on the other end of the continuum and in honors/IB classes, I would have an entirely different view.
Ok. Thanks for the explanation. Sometimes people have some false assumptions that unnecessarily limit their search.

Well, hopefully some more knowledgeable posters will chime in. But I would say Frederick is an option because of price point and the multiple ways to get to VA, beltway, Rt. 15, some public transportation.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:49 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,446,560 times
Check into Loudoun. I know of one boy in Western Loudoun who is bused to Montgomery County for school. His mother told me Loudoun didn't offer the special needs program he needs, so Loudoun paid for a private school near Potomac.

Your budget is tough but maybe in Leesburg. Your commute to Falls Church wouldn't be great but it might work.

You could also look into Poolesville.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:33 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
When you say Gaithersburg is too urban for you, what exactly do you mean? North Potomac is just outside Gaithersburg, and might have something you can afford. Commuting home from Falls Church to MD before 7 pm will be awful most days, but you'll have to put up with it if you can't live in Virginia.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:51 PM

DKF - I have previously spent several months living in the Gaithersburg Holiday Inn across from that mall.... Lake Forest?. Going down towards the Rockville area was too populated. It seemed to be all townhomes and parking lots, and didn't seem overly safe. I did like the Kentlands area, seemed a bit more suburban, but again I saw mostly townhomes and I think I was priced out of even those.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:27 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,219 times
It would be too much of a commute for me, but have you considered northern Montgomery County (maybe Burtonsville) or southern Howard County (Laurel). From a pure academic supports point-of-view, both are well regarded. Some people have a preference for one county school system over the other for ASD, but I only have personal experience with Howard County and it is good. As long as you are willing to buy an older house, there are ones to be found in your price range.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:30 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,811,329 times
Quote:
DKF - I have previously spent several months living in the Gaithersburg Holiday Inn across from that mall.... Lake Forest?. Going down towards the Rockville area was too populated. It seemed to be all townhomes and parking lots, and didn't seem overly safe. I did like the Kentlands area, seemed a bit more suburban, but again I saw mostly townhomes and I think I was priced out of even those.
Okay. I was referring to North Potomac though, which generally means the area west of Darnestown Rd, or North of Quince Orchard Rd. It may be more than you can afford though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland