Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2007, 08:06 AM

15 posts, read 106,174 times

Advertisements

Looking for a realistic commute time, its about 37 miles door to door, I know rainy days, snowy days, etc are going to be bad but I am curious what the average commute time will be.

Does it make much difference to leave a little early say 6:30 -7:00 AM with a return commute about 4:30 - 5:00 PM.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
Those are probably the worst times. You have slowups thru Frederick from 26 to past 85, again at Urbana exit, often at 109 (must be because there are trees in the median), again at Clarksville Rd, then it just depends. These are the normal slowdowns for no discernible reason. Accidents really make a mess. The times I have to drive in, I figure on leaving the house at 5am and leave work by 3pm and it usually isn't bad.

It might take longer except on bad days but an option would be to take the Frederick MARC train to Rockville metro/train stop right in the town center. I think there is a way to skirt around the east side of Frederick to get to the train stations.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:07 PM

15 posts, read 106,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
Those are probably the worst times. You have slowups thru Frederick from 26 to past 85, again at Urbana exit, often at 109 (must be because there are trees in the median), again at Clarksville Rd, then it just depends. These are the normal slowdowns for no discernible reason. Accidents really make a mess. The times I have to drive in, I figure on leaving the house at 5am and leave work by 3pm and it usually isn't bad.

It might take longer except on bad days but an option would be to take the Frederick MARC train to Rockville metro/train stop right in the town center. I think there is a way to skirt around the east side of Frederick to get to the train stations.
Thanks for the reply I have looked into the train schedule as well as the commuter bus schedule since a commuter bus/metro trip would also be possible. Probably about 50% of the time I will need to have my car so I am trying to figure out what the realistic commute time will be. My commute times are flexible to an extent but on most days I wont be coming home until 4:30 ish. So how long is the commute going to take leaving for work at 6:30 and then coming back home at 4:30? Leaving at 5:00AM isn't a possibility because if I have to leave the house at 5:00AM to go to work I wont take the job

Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,261,663 times
I never drive at that time because I know it's horrible. At 5a it would take about 40-45 minutes. I would guess that at peak rush hour you'd be looking at 1:15-1:45 and up if there's an accident. Traffic sucks around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland