Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 04:45 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not sure where you came up with this statement. If anything, the I-270 corridor has become less affluent, driven mostly by the invasion of legal and illegal immigrants who can't afford to live in this area but insist on doing so. Look at the graphic. That's not "affluence" along I-270....that's "poverty."
Which graphic? Also, could you be more specific? The area around 270 looks pretty nice. Where exactly are you referring to as "poverty"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 05:11 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Which graphic? Also, could you be more specific? The area around 270 looks pretty nice. Where exactly are you referring to as "poverty"?
The link in the OP contains a graphic illustrating the increase in poverty in MoCo. The darker the town/city/district border, the higher the poverty. The I-270 corridor is conspicuously darker than its surroundings. Take a look.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv.../moco-poverty/

Old 10-09-2014, 07:02 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
If MOCO hits the skids PGC will hit harder. Which county has a better economy?
Charles County will follow suit.
NOVA has been under attack by illegals for years but I don't know how they absorb them.

It all gets better in a generation. Viva Mexico!!

Old 10-10-2014, 07:15 AM

15,431 posts, read 25,814,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The link in the OP contains a graphic illustrating the increase in poverty in MoCo. The darker the town/city/district border, the higher the poverty. The I-270 corridor is conspicuously darker than its surroundings. Take a look.

Poverty in Montgomery County - Washington Post

Thank you for the direct link. I didn't see that graphic when I read the OP link. I don't know why. Anyways, a small section has increased poverty. The rest looks about the same. Where exactly those places are is difficult to tell exactly. I'm assuming Montgomery Village and parts of Germantown.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,571,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Thank you for the direct link. I didn't see that graphic when I read the OP link. I don't know why. Anyways, a small section has increased poverty. The rest looks about the same. Where exactly those places are is difficult to tell exactly. I'm assuming Montgomery Village and parts of Germantown.
You can also see that Wheaton and Langley Park are the darkest inside the Beltway. Expect those areas to gentrify after the Purple Line is completed. Watch for the inner Beltway poverty to lessen as low-income people get pushed further out into the cheaper suburbs. And as the article states, you can already see poverty increases along RT. 29.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:02 AM

1,735 posts, read 1,769,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
What a thoughtful, well-reasoned comment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
+2 Gotta love partisan hyperbole
And who's to blame for these problems?

Old 10-12-2014, 07:27 AM

687 posts, read 915,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
Should we start forcing rich people to stop living in Bethesda, Potomac and Chevy Chase?
Not only that, but people should be forced to open up all extra bedrooms to anyone who demands one. It shouldn't matter if they're just poor, single moms, druggies, or vagrants. Don't you "meanie-head republicans" know that people who make bad choices in life or who simply don't want to work need to be taken care of?

This is especially true for minorities and new arrivals, I mean you do support diversity don't you? So why can't you open up your bedrooms to them, for free, for an indefinite period of time (yep, coming to an America near you folks). Also: Montgomery country should implement rent control to "help the poor out", because no unintended consequences have ever resulted from rent control and have never restricted the supply of units out there and have never ultimately caused prices to go up.

Hey, good thing the oh-so-benevolent libs redistricted the Maryland congressional map. Those podunk hillbillies out in Garret, Allegheny and Washington didn't need representation in Congress anyway, because urban areas know what's best and those rural people are just silly and backwards.

Old 10-12-2014, 07:29 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,571 times
Default Yes poverty exists everywhere

Its still one of the top 20 counties in the entire country......

The poverty in MOCO is nothing compared to some or even most parts of the country pockets of poverty!!!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:13 AM

687 posts, read 915,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
You can also see that Wheaton and Langley Park are the darkest inside the Beltway. Expect those areas to gentrify after the Purple Line is completed. Watch for the inner Beltway poverty to lessen as low-income people get pushed further out into the cheaper suburbs. And as the article states, you can already see poverty increases along RT. 29.
Poverty is a result of not getting educated, not working hard, and in general just being a useless slug. Thuggery and crime cause poverty as well (not the other way around as some would have you believe).

Poverty is the default state of humanity. It takes civilized, intelligent, law-abiding, family-nurturing people to create a civilization.

Old 10-13-2014, 02:52 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapmd View Post
Not only that, but people should be forced to open up all extra bedrooms to anyone who demands one. It shouldn't matter if they're just poor, single moms, druggies, or vagrants. Don't you "meanie-head republicans" know that people who make bad choices in life or who simply don't want to work need to be taken care of?

This is especially true for minorities and new arrivals, I mean you do support diversity don't you? So why can't you open up your bedrooms to them, for free, for an indefinite period of time (yep, coming to an America near you folks). Also: Montgomery country should implement rent control to "help the poor out", because no unintended consequences have ever resulted from rent control and have never restricted the supply of units out there and have never ultimately caused prices to go up.

Hey, good thing the oh-so-benevolent libs redistricted the Maryland congressional map. Those podunk hillbillies out in Garret, Allegheny and Washington didn't need representation in Congress anyway, because urban areas know what's best and those rural people are just silly and backwards.
I get the bolded but I miss the ''meanie-headed republicans'' reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland