Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 11:26 PM

4 posts, read 6,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So, the point you're making is that 1)Rich people still live in Montgomery County, 2) Low-to-moderate income earners are infesting the I-270 corridor, and 3) Illegal immigrants are competing for housing with legal citizens of low-to-moderate income?

Ok. I'm pretty sure that that's in line with everything else that's been said on the thread so far. The only difference being that you seem to want try to dispel the notion that illegal immigrants are driving poverty rates in MoCo. If that's the case, please explain why you feel this way when statistics point to a very different conclusion.
You're close... Part of my point was to highlight the fact that there are many heavily populated 'pockets of poverty' (part of the title of this thread) in the 270 corridor(which is generally considered to be central/WESTERN part of the of the county)that have grown significantly over the past few years while the growth of the same population in the Eastern parts of the county has been relatively stable by comparison--- I was attempting to point out that the rapid growth (not 'infestation' since we're talking about PEOPLE and not bugs or rodents) of the low to moderate income population in the WEST should be included in this discussion instead of placing the 'blame' for poverty in Montgomery County 'mostly in the EAST'(part of the title of this thread).

Another component of my point was not to entirely negate the role that illegal immigrants likely play in the shortage of affordable housing (or poverty rates in one of the wealthiest areas in the nation ����), or anything else but to point out the fact that illegal undocumented residents are just that---UNDOCUMENTED--- those who are documented are often using fake identities and falsify many facts about themselves to protect their true identity and avoid detection---making them difficult to track in a reliable manner--- And thus, it should be difficult to make factual statements about these people... As such, we may want to avoid making generalizations about these people(and others) to justify our thinly-veiled biases that are fueled by a deeply ingrained culture of fear and ignorance... Especially when there are tons of legal residents living 'poverty pockets' all over this county to use as statistical scapegoats... It seems like a great idea to ignore the soaring cost of living in this area and the wages that don't keep pace---for even for highly educated people living in the state with the highest median income in the nation---as possible source of the rising poverty rates in Montgomery County...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
...who said that? The headline and OP title says "Affluent Montgomery County has pockets of poverty, mostly in the east"

That means 1. MoCo is affluent 2. MoCo has some pockets of poverty (like any place with over a million people, obviously) 3. those pockets are primarily located in the eastern part of the county.

There's no debating any of those simple facts. Of course east-county has plenty of affluence. That's what the headline says, after all.
Originally Posted by EducatedBro82 View Post
Silver Spring is probably this biggest socioeconomic CDP in MoCo. You have the upper middle class, middle and lower class in the town. I can see how that article can have some truth.

the 270 corridor has been booming so of course it will have affluence.

Only thing in eastern MoCo that has affluence or upper middle is Burtonsville. And they have development issues.

Not to mention the whole MPDU program wasn't a good idea.glad PG county doesn't have that

Old 10-31-2014, 09:47 AM

2,179 posts, read 2,669,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ademd32 View Post
Silver Spring is probably this biggest socioeconomic CDP in MoCo. You have the upper middle class, middle and lower class in the town. I can see how that article can have some truth.

Only thing in eastern MoCo that has affluence or upper middle is Burtonsville. And they have development issues.

Not to mention the whole MPDU program wasn't a good idea.glad PG county doesn't have that
Huh? You think Burtonsville is the only part of east county that has affluence? You must not be from around here or don't know what the word "affluence" means. Burtonsville is one of the cheapest/lowest income areas of east county, not one of the wealthiest.

Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:

And of course PG doesn't have an MPDU program; they don't have affordable housing issues nor the economic climate where requiring developers to set aside MPDU units is a viable option. You're comparing basketballs and grapes.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:18 PM

In response to my original post, YOU asked 'who said that the eastern part of the county doesn't have any areas of affluence?' In response, I quoted a post by EducatedBro82(NOT BY ME) earlier in this thread where HE indicated that there are virtually no affluent areas in that part of the county outside of Burtonsville and indicated that he felt that the MPDU program wasn't a good idea

Old 10-31-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
In response to my original post, YOU asked 'who said that the eastern part of the county doesn't have any areas of affluence?' In response, I quoted a post by EducatedBro82(NOT BY ME) earlier in this thread where HE indicated that there are virtually no affluent areas in that part of the county outside of Burtonsville and indicated that he felt that the MPDU program wasn't a good idea
Thanks for clarifying, sorry about that.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:42 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,155,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I notice no one came in here to defend Montgomery County. Usually there are die-hards that simply refuse to see the light. Perhaps they have learned not to be a cheerleader for a slowly sinking ship. If so, then that would be considered "progress."
Well you shouldn't demand everyone live up to your standard, with yourself being a stalwart spokesman for the sinking ship of conservatism. Aren't you conservatives about self reliance? Stop complaining to everyone else that you can't afford your move to an all-white paradise, especially since trailer parks are much cheaper than most real estate in this county.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:55 PM

631 posts, read 1,392,365 times
Where else East of the county has affluence??? Taloma Park? Langley Park?

Old 11-02-2014, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Where else East of the county has affluence??? Taloma Park? Langley Park?
That'd depend on your definition of east county and your definition of affluence. If you're curious about housing costs/median income for different neighborhoods I'd suggest looking at the census info and/or housing prices. Yes, Takoma Park is quite expensive/wealthy/educated; no, Langley Park is not expensive/wealthy/educated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland