Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 10:56 PM

49 posts, read 68,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You could also move to a place like Pittsburgh, split a 1-BR with your partner for $700/month ($350/month each) and live within walking distance of Downtown. We both make less than we'd make in DC, but we have much more discretionary income (and lower stress as a result).

I was mind-blown by the astronomical cost-of-living when I lived in Metro DC. I lived in Reston, which is WAY OUT along the Loudoun County border in Northern Virginia, yet typical 1-BR rents there were still well over $1,000/month. Given my entry-level salary the only way I could have afforded to stay in the region would have been to have sought a house-share or roommate situation, which I thought was ridiculous---compromising privacy to live with strangers WAY outside the city core. What would the point have been?

NYC can command high rents. L.A. can command high rents. San Francisco Bay Area can command high rents. Why the exurbs in Maryland and NoVA? Who the hell wants to rent in these areas, anyways, for the pricing to still be so high?

As a prospective Maryland resident, I have to say I was taken aback at the rental costs. Where I lived in the capital of Florida rent for a 1 bedroom was $675/month (with furniture), looking at places in Maryland, the rent is more than double that. I would hope that employers take into account this high cost of living even with entry level positions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:33 PM

1 posts, read 1,018 times
I might add what OP is talking about is actually a thing. Lots of cities have rent controls. I don't think they're a good idea, but hey thought I'd throw it it.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:44 PM

580 posts, read 777,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itschristinab View Post
I might add what OP is talking about is actually a thing. Lots of cities have rent controls. I don't think they're a good idea, but hey thought I'd throw it it.
Rent control tends to restrict rental housing supply (all costs for the landowner go up, but they cannot raise prices? No incentive to rent out a home/development), thus aggravating the problem of affordable housing but for the lucky few in rent controlled apartments.

Old 12-13-2014, 07:26 PM

203 posts, read 190,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcoder View Post
As a prospective Maryland resident, I have to say I was taken aback at the rental costs. Where I lived in the capital of Florida rent for a 1 bedroom was $675/month (with furniture), looking at places in Maryland, the rent is more than double that. I would hope that employers take into account this high cost of living even with entry level positions.
The rent is expensive, but you often get the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ur2j...1TkoDg&index=8

Old 12-14-2014, 11:49 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
You could also move to a place like Pittsburgh, split a 1-BR with your partner for $700/month ($350/month each) and live within walking distance of Downtown. We both make less than we'd make in DC, but we have much more discretionary income (and lower stress as a result).

I was mind-blown by the astronomical cost-of-living when I lived in Metro DC. I lived in Reston, which is WAY OUT along the Loudoun County border in Northern Virginia, yet typical 1-BR rents there were still well over $1,000/month. Given my entry-level salary the only way I could have afforded to stay in the region would have been to have sought a house-share or roommate situation, which I thought was ridiculous---compromising privacy to live with strangers WAY outside the city core. What would the point have been?

NYC can command high rents. L.A. can command high rents. San Francisco Bay Area can command high rents. Why the exurbs in Maryland and NoVA? Who the hell wants to rent in these areas, anyways, for the pricing to still be so high?
You do realize that Loudoun county has one of the highest concentrations of tech jobs in the country. Right? It is pretty clear you do not grasp this concept, but the DC area has a large number of highly skilled jobs that require a bachelors or higher. Over 50% of the population has a bachelors or higher, the area also has the highest percentage of people with a masters of higher, it makes up nearly 1/3 of the total population. DC is not just the capital, the region is a knowledge capital. Guess what the DC area can command high rents, if you do not understand why...you are pretty ignorant of the regional economy and labor market. LA is the center of the entertainment, NYC is the center of finance, DC is the center of the public sector, both governmental, and non-governmental entities. The DC area also has a large knowledge workforce even outside of government. Do you know what other regions command high rents...Seattle and Boston. DC, Seattle, and Boston all have a very large portion of highly skilled workers. The cost of housing in these regions is higher as a result.

The DC area has a very thick knowledge economy, and as a result, there is a higher demand for highly skilled workers, which drives up the cost of housing based on demand.

The DC area is not some backwater, you will pay more for rents out here in many places because of the robust knowledge economy. Some people are not meant to live out here. Pricing for housing is based on demand, nothing more, nothing less. In Loudoun county, which is one of the wealthiest counties in the country, people move there to be close to higher paying tech jobs so the region has high demand.

There is no reason to compare this to Pittsburgh or Florida, or some other low cost of living regions which do not have as robust knowledge economies. This region is different. It costs more to live here because of higher demand, but also a higher paid workforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland