Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 03:57 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Ten thousand dollars is a big gap. I wonder if it has to do more with the average tenure of the teachers with PG teachers leaving the system sooner than MoCo teachers?

The starting salaries are similar, what are the salaries for teachers after say 5 years in the two counties?
Historically Montgomery's steps are larger. Also, Prince George's has been under salary freezes for most of the last 10 years. COLAs and steps have been suspended and when they did give a step (say for a teacher who had 12 years and now has 16) that teacher was only advanced one year. In addition, PG tops out in steps at 20 years while Montgomery continues to grant them every 5 years after that.

They also play games with the COLAs. They'll grant one for the school year (keep in mind that it's really contractual) but you'll only get it the last paycheck of the school year. They've done that more times than I can count.

The COLA we got last year, those at year 20 and below got a larger one than those from year 21 up. The idea was that the younger teachers had to be rewarded for sticking around (and they're cheaper to pay).

Essentially, in year 31 I was making about 4% more than I was at year 20.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:32 PM

One thing I wanted to add is that Prince George's County Public Schools always have a money issue of some sort. There are dozens, if not hundreds, of vendors who refuse to do business with the system because the payments are slow or, in some cases, non-existent.

Nearly every year, even with contracts, there is almost always a public wailing and gnashing of teeth about agreed upon raises. Then, when the numbers come out, the student/teacher ratio (which is somewhat of a fake number anyway) gets raised by a kid or two. That's one reason why, in many schools, you have core academic classes touching 40 students per class.

That's even though the ratio is 1/28 (as I said, it's somewhat of a made up number due to who's counted as a "teacher").

Old 03-16-2015, 08:39 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
NBP,

In your opinion do you believe the restructuring of the school system has helped the school? I thought the idea of the County Executive running the system was supposed to provide the solution? It seems too soon after that to be demanding more money.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
NBP,

In your opinion do you believe the restructuring of the school system has helped the school? I thought the idea of the County Executive running the system was supposed to provide the solution? It seems too soon after that to be demanding more money.
It's too soon to tell. At the school level I didn't see any impact other than you had an additional group of people doing tours (from Baker's office).

My objections to it stem from the removal of voting rights (wrong phrase, I know) from the people. Baker essentially told the same people who elected him that they weren't qualified to elect the School Board.

And let's be honest, the legislation was introduced at the last minute of the session and zipped through the hearings and floor vote.

Would the same thing have happened if Ike Leggett had asked to do it in Montgomery? The reality is that State officials feel free and almost seem to have the need to **** with the school system in PG. Remember when they abolished the School Board and afterwards found out that Metts actually was as big a pain in the ass to work with as the abolished Board said she was? Of course, she was Nancy Grasmick's buddy so that was ok.

Again, would they try that with Montgomery, or Anne Arundel or even Somerset (which is really in free fall)?

That legislation has some time bombs in it. Not only could the Prince George's School Board be abolished but any elected body or appointed commission in the State can now be abolished and taken over by the State. So go ahead and **** Mike Miller off if you dare and see what happens.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:44 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's too soon to tell. At the school level I didn't see any impact other than you had an additional group of people doing tours (from Baker's office).

My objections to it stem from the removal of voting rights (wrong phrase, I know) from the people. Baker essentially told the same people who elected him that they weren't qualified to elect the School Board.

And let's be honest, the legislation was introduced at the last minute of the session and zipped through the hearings and floor vote.

Would the same thing have happened if Ike Leggett had asked to do it in Montgomery? The reality is that State officials feel free and almost seem to have the need to **** with the school system in PG. Remember when they abolished the School Board and afterwards found out that Metts actually was as big a pain in the ass to work with as the abolished Board said she was? Of course, she was Nancy Grasmick's buddy so that was ok.

Again, would they try that with Montgomery, or Anne Arundel or even Somerset (which is really in free fall)?

That legislation has some time bombs in it. Not only could the Prince George's School Board be abolished but any elected body or appointed commission in the State can now be abolished and taken over by the State. So go ahead and **** Mike Miller off if you dare and see what happens.
I agree. The system is very unstable. I seen quite a few of those 13 Superintendents in the time I was in school. I vividly remember the days of Metts not allowing us to take field trips outside of the county, just because. The system has been even more unstable since she was ousted. I don't see how making all these changes without waiting to see the results are going to help anyone.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:00 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Historically Montgomery's steps are larger. Also, Prince George's has been under salary freezes for most of the last 10 years. COLAs and steps have been suspended and when they did give a step (say for a teacher who had 12 years and now has 16) that teacher was only advanced one year. In addition, PG tops out in steps at 20 years while Montgomery continues to grant them every 5 years after that.

They also play games with the COLAs. They'll grant one for the school year (keep in mind that it's really contractual) but you'll only get it the last paycheck of the school year. They've done that more times than I can count.

The COLA we got last year, those at year 20 and below got a larger one than those from year 21 up. The idea was that the younger teachers had to be rewarded for sticking around (and they're cheaper to pay).

Essentially, in year 31 I was making about 4% more than I was at year 20.
That's insane. Sounds like they have to raise taxes or find funds from somewhere, a 4% increase in 11 years is unacceptable.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
That's insane. Sounds like they have to raise taxes or find funds from somewhere, a 4% increase in 11 years is unacceptable.

You don't understand: nearly almost every single year there was some sort of funding issue. In good years and bad. The only time there wasn't was when Glendening was Governor and he had the State match COLAs up to I forget what percent. We got raises for each of three years and then were frozen for a few years.

We also had furloughs, "free" days at the end of the year for training a couple years as well as more in school duties (giving up part of Planning to conduct hall sweeps for tardy students is one such example).

This year we were just plain meetinged to death. Since I taught 3 different subjects I had to meet for Collaborative Planning once a week with the other teachers in those subjects. Then there were department meetings, mini-department meetings, AP teacher meetings, Department specific AP teacher meetings, IB teacher meetings, Department specific IB teacher meetings, FfT meetings, Common Core meetings, staff meetings which always turn into in-services (very little about school operations), meeting with the VP who did the latest 5 minute drive by observation in your classroom, Instructional Council meetings and School Planning and Management Team meetings.

The steps topping out at 20 was the teacher's fault, we voted for it. PGCEA supported it (it may have been their idea). It was pushed as a way to keep/reward younger teachers. Of course we older teachers who lost our steps after 20 were ignored

Old 03-18-2015, 07:06 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
You don't understand: nearly almost every single year there was some sort of funding issue. In good years and bad. The only time there wasn't was when Glendening was Governor and he had the State match COLAs up to I forget what percent. We got raises for each of three years and then were frozen for a few years.

We also had furloughs, "free" days at the end of the year for training a couple years as well as more in school duties (giving up part of Planning to conduct hall sweeps for tardy students is one such example).

This year we were just plain meetinged to death. Since I taught 3 different subjects I had to meet for Collaborative Planning once a week with the other teachers in those subjects. Then there were department meetings, mini-department meetings, AP teacher meetings, Department specific AP teacher meetings, IB teacher meetings, Department specific IB teacher meetings, FfT meetings, Common Core meetings, staff meetings which always turn into in-services (very little about school operations), meeting with the VP who did the latest 5 minute drive by observation in your classroom, Instructional Council meetings and School Planning and Management Team meetings.

The steps topping out at 20 was the teacher's fault, we voted for it. PGCEA supported it (it may have been their idea). It was pushed as a way to keep/reward younger teachers. Of course we older teachers who lost our steps after 20 were ignored
This sounds like a bureaucratic nightmare, how do the officials justify so many meetings? PG is in trouble, if they raise taxes, property values will likely fall or remain flat. Is there nowhere else they can cut? Cut the affordable housing program. There are enough low income market solutions.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,290 times
I'm no expert on education and what can make things better. I am a single (divorced) african-american mother and my two children attended PG County schools. My youngest graduated (Thank God!) a few years ago. I definitely do NOT agree to an increase in property taxes. I'm not hearing anything different. It's just different packaging. Raising taxes cannot continue to be the "go to" answer!

I believe that the first level of education. . .your attitude about it. . . and its value is taught at home. It begins at ground zero. Some years ago, we moved from Mont. Co. to PG County because I got divorced and it was cheaper. I bought a home and then in 2008 things changed for me financially. My ex-husband had little involvement and less interest in our children's education and zero interest in supporting them financially. I asked for child support through the courts but that was sporadic at best. So I took a deep breath and made a decision to give my children the best chance I knew how to offer. I solicited help/advice from family, friends and teachers. . .coordinated trips to libraries, sought out student tutors from area colleges and high schools, bought/borrowed books, watched educational programs on TV, took them on field trips to museums, especially since their schools cut them out, enrolled them in extra-curricular activities and explained to them both that I had an expectation of them to do their very best in school and in life and then give it some more. Failure would not be an option in my house. There would be no gang-banging, no hanging out around shopping malls, etc., no drugs, etc. and I meant it. I worked a full time job and had 3 part-time jobs to keep us in our home which I almost lost if not for the Grace of God, a loan modification and a frugal budget. I was honest with my children about our finances and explained to them that I was (at that time) not the most financially savvy person and that I made lots of mistakes. I told them that although they were living my story with me they should see me as a learning tool of what NOT to do and how hard work, dedication and focus can turn things around. So that was the long way of saying that a good education begins with parents. . .single or married. We have to find a way to communicate to people that their children are THEIR responsibility. The school system, teachers, etc. are there to support NOT raise them for you!

The attitudes I encountered in PG from "some" parents and teachers was shocking. Living in Mont. Co. for 12 years, I became accustomed to higher parent involvement in the schools and more civic minded people. I didn't attribute this to people being wealthier or because they were white people (can't tell you how many times I've heard that at a PTA meeting in PG) but to a different culture. And to be honest, I wasn't like that either when my family first moved to Mont. Co. I was born in Washington, DC and raised in one of the poorest wards in the city and had not been exposed to anything outside my neighborhood. I got married and my husband took me to Silver Spring and Olney, Maryland (which in all my life I had never been even though it was a mere 45 minute drive) to see how the difference in the quality of living. It was an amazing eye opener. After our first born, we moved to Silver Spring and I won't say we were exactly welcomed in the beginning but I got to know my neighbors and became involved in my community. I volunteered. I went to civic meetings, etc. I knew from my speaking with my neighbors that this quality of living I sought came from their involvement in the community. I found out the success of neighborhoods and schools alike comes from "people" first and money supports that effort. I was being educated in a way I never had. And I embraced it. You would be amazed at what can be accomplished when a people come together for a cause. . .especially when it's children and education. I shared my story many times with a few parents, teachers and the PTA to motivate. . to show that what I described was merely a short effort and interest away. That we could have it too but it required a little time and sacrifice. It was disappointing to me to hear the PTA president beg parents to come to the meetings. . . eventually the lack of interest spread like a disease. I once attended the PTA meeting and there were three of us in attendance and the President was one of them.

More money is not the answer. Sure we need more resources. . better supplies, etc. but if we don't teach our children, some parents and teachers to value these things, the resources will become extinct and the needed supplies will be something we chase after forever. The overhaul must begin with parents. . . My question is . . . what is happening to the money the school system receives already?! Perhaps an audit can be done of each department, school, etc. including administrative offices and expenses to find out how the money being received is being spent. Afterwards, we can have an discussion on how best to proceed. I do not believe in wasting money and spending it over and over again on the same thing getting the same results in one way or another. One other thing, let's have some open and honest dialogue with teachers. . .God knows they deserve better than they're getting. .

Old 03-27-2015, 04:22 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Officials identified several areas for improvement: academic achievement; organizational management and communication; family engagement; and safer, more welcoming schools. They also found leadership turnover and the lack of a clear vision hurt school system performance.

Since 2007, Prince George’s schools lost more than 7,000 educators, many of whom began and were trained in the county but left mid-career for better pay, school officials said. Increasing compensation and offering more development opportunities, they said, would ensure a higher quality workforce.

Schools chief unveils aggressive plan to improve Pr. George
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland