Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 06:15 PM

14 posts, read 10,421 times

Advertisements

Wife is starting a job at the State Department, moving from SC. Have been looking at home rentals in the Bowie, Waldorf area. What are the travel times looking like from these two areas? What areas should we stay away from? Any info on the catholic schools in the area? Are they willing to work with you on bring down the cost of tuition through scholarships though the Archdiocese of Maryland?Or is the cost just too high to even try? Freaking out a bit, having visions of a over populated area with people jammed in every place. Any and all info is most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:44 PM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macl212 View Post
Wife is starting a job at the State Department, moving from SC. Have been looking at home rentals in the Bowie, Waldorf area. What are the travel times looking like from these two areas? What areas should we stay away from? Any info on the catholic schools in the area? Are they willing to work with you on bring down the cost of tuition through scholarships though the Archdiocese of Maryland?Or is the cost just too high to even try? Freaking out a bit, having visions of a over populated area with people jammed in every place. Any and all info is most welcome.
There are quite a few Catholic Schools down that way

Maryland Roman Catholic Private Schools | Reviews & Photos

I would contact the schools about tuition assistance. I am from the far reaches of the state, and the our Catholic school and the local parishes work hard to find price points that are doable for people.

Most of the schools you would be looking at would be in the Archdiocese of Washington, although the Archdiocese of Baltimore region could also be in your house hunting area too.

About Us - Archdiocese of Washington

Old 04-08-2015, 08:14 PM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
Quote:
The C St. location of State? How does she plan on commuting (car, public transit)? Yes, either of those locations - being so far out - would likely be a terrible commute. I certainly wouldn't recommend them unless you literally have no other choice. I guess she'd drive to Largo Town Center metro and take the Blue/Silver line to Foggy Bottom and walk from there. Door to door that'd be about 80-100 minutes each way - 3 hours a day wasted.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:41 AM

Yes,she will be working at the C St. location, was planing on doing a park/ride to some form of public transit. I f the areas we are looking at are too far out, what locations should we be looking at for a family of 4 can live without costing an arm and a leg for housing? Indian head area? or is the VA side a better area. We have lived in the south/GA/SC do to the military so we are a bit intimidated by the whole thing,thought that living near the Andrews AFB was a good location, or is that also to far out? Thank you for the info!!!

Old 04-09-2015, 07:11 AM

53 posts, read 73,229 times
I agree with bufflove - the commute from that part of MD would be terrible. The closest metro is Foggy Bottom - a 10 walk to State Dept. If you are looking at public transit I would aim for somewhere in VA on the blue, orange, or silver lines. Springfield, Falls Church, etc. Not cheap to live in these areas, especially compared to SC, but that is life in DC.

If you do still want to look in MD, I would check out Greenbelt or Hyattsville. There are some nice areas within a short drive of the metro (e.g., Old Greenbelt). It would still be a bad commute, but better than coming from Bowie. Not sure about Catholic schools but Greenbelt Elementary is a good school, unlike some others in the general area.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:20 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,927 times
Quote:
Yes,she will be working at the C St. location, was planing on doing a park/ride to some form of public transit. I f the areas we are looking at are too far out, what locations should we be looking at for a family of 4 can live without costing an arm and a leg for housing? Indian head area? or is the VA side a better area. We have lived in the south/GA/SC do to the military so we are a bit intimidated by the whole thing,thought that living near the Andrews AFB was a good location, or is that also to far out? Thank you for the info!!!
The areas are too far out, considering where you are working, being near a metro stop is highly advised. The commute will kill you otherwise. I am going to be blunt if you are expecting SC prices you are in for a surprise. This is not SC, welcome to DC, things are expensive here. We are the 3rd or 4th most expensive metropolitian area in the US, and you are coming from a low COL area. If you get into a low cost of living area you will be sacraficing either commute times or schools.

This area is expensive. Accept it, move on, find a house where the commute will not kill you.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:00 AM

469 posts, read 549,893 times
Quote:

Bowie Def is not jammed and crowded like other cities in nearby counties you can actually breathe. The State Department is located in Downtown DC correct? If So I would look at the Marc Train. Its fast efficient and not to expensive. What part of Bowie are you looking at? Have you look at the Greenbelt area?

Old 04-09-2015, 10:32 AM

2,193 posts, read 2,688,552 times
Quote:
We'd have to know your budget range in order to suggest viable neighborhoods. Yes, VA might make more sense when it comes to commuting to Foggy Bottom metro. Here's the metro map (which, keep in mind, isn't to scale) that shows how, ideally, you'll live along the Orange, Silver, or Blue lines in VA, MD, or DC itself: Metro - Rail - Maps - Rail/Google Map
It's possible to transfer from the Green, Yellow, or Red lines, but that'll add commute time. Buses are also an option, though I'm not particularly familiar with the routes servicing that area.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 AM

The commute time is not a big issue, willing to have up to 1 1/2 hr travel time back and forth. Rather have long commute for the sake of good schools, housing. Looking at around 2500 for rent, just a ball park figure, nothing set in stone. We know that the cost of living is no way near what we have in SC. Can deal with it with out issue. Looking for family friendly areas. Thanks to all for the feed back!!!

Old 04-09-2015, 10:45 AM

7,017 posts, read 11,310,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neirbod View Post
I agree with bufflove - the commute from that part of MD would be terrible. The closest metro is Foggy Bottom - a 10 walk to State Dept. If you are looking at public transit I would aim for somewhere in VA on the blue, orange, or silver lines. Springfield, Falls Church, etc. Not cheap to live in these areas, especially compared to SC, but that is life in DC.

If you do still want to look in MD, I would check out Greenbelt or Hyattsville. There are some nice areas within a short drive of the metro (e.g., Old Greenbelt). It would still be a bad commute, but better than coming from Bowie. Not sure about Catholic schools but Greenbelt Elementary is a good school, unlike some others in the general area.
You've got Elizabeth Seton for girls, DeMatha for boys. Vincent Pallotti is co-ed. Holy Redeemer is co-ed K-8. All are in that general area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland