U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2007, 07:40 AM

165 posts, read 543,392 times

Advertisements

Laurelengineer take a breath. I have not written anything unreasonable and just asked for clarification of your points. I know you are white; you have asserted it more than once previously. I do not claim that all black people have one brain; the context of what I wrote was IF affluent blacks shared your assertion then…..I never said they all did or did not.

“I am Black and I currently reside in Atlanta, Georgia. I do not live in an all Black area here and I would not wish to do so in Maryland. However, I am curious still about PG county. I have heard and read that it is supposed to the most affluent county for African Americans in the country.”

This quote comes from the person who started the thread. The last sentence says “most affluent county for African Americans in the country.”

Now it’s your prerogative not to “like the interjection of race into any discussion in 2007” but that’s how the discussion began and you HAVE been actively participating. Now as for clarifying your opinion, I might sum it up as you are a “pull yourself up by the bootstraps” kind of person. For those who are not able to do that (and the reasons are varied I'm sure) your best move is to remove the housing they currently live in with the hope that it will cause them to leave the area. Then it can be bulldozed and nice shiny new buildings and single family homes can take there place. There will be no more crime, poverty will be exported, tax revenues will start rolling in and all is well that ends well. I’ll check back in another 40 years and see how that’s working out.

C.
Rate this post positively

Old 08-01-2007, 08:11 AM

1,389 posts, read 6,092,578 times
In other areas in PG county where there are fewer rentals such as Bowie,Upper Marlboro,Fort Washington,Brandywine and other areas all have very low crimes. In Bowie there were only 1 murder in 2007 so far. In Upper Marlboro i think the murder number is 0 for 2007. In both these areas are middle to upper class families. Georgia crime is way worst then the entire state of Maryland so for you to comment about Maryland crime maybe you need to focus on Georgia problems. Instead of concerning yourself with PG county maybe you need to focus on Atlanta because the crime rate is very high. Maybe you need to help solve Atlanta crime issues instead of trying to solve ours.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:19 AM

692 posts, read 1,671,407 times
Maat thanks for the link. I wrote a paper in college about TRIM and the affects it had on the Prince George's County Public School system. I wish more residents would study the county's past and see how it has shaped the county we live in today. A lot of people who still feel TRIM was good for the county didn't have any interest in the schools. Their children were grown or they didn't have children at all. What they failed to realize is that a strong school system helps the overall image of the county. Education opens up areas of opportunity for poorer children. Also, an educated population is attractive to business. The last few years have made me hopeful that the county has turned a corner where education is concerned. Test scores are up, attendance is up, the programs being offered to students has improved. I really want to see where we stand in next five years.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:49 AM

Default What is wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
In other areas in PG county where there are fewer rentals such as Bowie,Upper Marlboro,Fort Washington,Brandywine and other areas all have very low crimes. In Bowie there were only 1 murder in 2007 so far. In Upper Marlboro i think the murder number is 0 for 2007. In both these areas are middle to upper class families. Georgia crime is way worst then the entire state of Maryland so for you to comment about Maryland crime maybe you need to focus on Georgia problems. Instead of concerning yourself with PG county maybe you need to focus on Atlanta because the crime rate is very high. Maybe you need to help solve Atlanta crime issues instead of trying to solve ours.
Iscalder, this is not personal at all but if you don't read the post then your responses don't make sense. The quote I listed was from the person who started this thread. Please press page one and go back and read what the original poster said. My goodness you go on the attack but then you don't know who or what you are attacking. Please discontinue representing Upper Marlboro; it's not good for the area.

C.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:51 AM

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by maat View Post
Cheasare, If you knew some of the history between PGPD and county residents, you would understand just how significant these partnerships are. Trust is building.

Here's the most comprehensive paper I've read about the history of development in PGC. It was written by a UMCP grad student.

http://www.planning.org/economic/pdf/Brandly.pdf (broken link)
Matt the report provides context for the current situation. Your assertion is correct, I am still learning the history not only of PGC, but also D.C., Baltimore, Montgomery and others as I have been in the area less than five years. After reading Ms. Brandly report I also find that she articulates some of the things that I have written about.

Quote page 16: “According to the 2004 American Community Survey only 37% of Prince George’s residents possessed post high school degrees compared to 63% and 64% in Montgomery and Fairfax respectively. This is an important detail for the county to recognize: significant economic development will not occur until the county’s workforce can compete with the regional economy.”

Quote page 16: “In trying to attract high quality job opportunities, these facts are just as important for the county as the quality of the workforce population. In order for the county to encourage private investment, it is crucial that these issues are addressed and the concerns of potential newcomers are alleviated.”

And this is where I stand. Though I appreciate the history lesson investors will not care how PGC came to be where it is today. They will only be interested in what’s going on to improve the infrastructure before they invest their money. Poverty is a complex problem and until we deal with it practically, the ills that emanate from it will not go away. I get caught up in thinking about ways to attack it. In all my years of volunteering nothing sticks out as THE solution or best practice. I do know that we can’t ignore it or hope it goes away because that’s certainly not going to happen.

It would be nice to hold a competition similar to the design competitions but this one could be for solutions to social ills and the person with the most creative idea could win a large prize. Money motivates and I think we might get folks to come up with some innovative yet practical solutions. I’m thinking about whoever came up with the Q-drum. It’s so simple that it almost smacks in the face, but it’s an economical, practical way for people to fetch water and then get it back to their homes…simply brilliant.

C.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:05 AM

144 posts, read 615,903 times
“I am Black and I currently reside in Atlanta, Georgia. I do not live in an all Black area here and I would not wish to do so in Maryland. However, I am curious still about PG county. I have heard and read that it is supposed to the most affluent county for African Americans in the country.”

C.[/quote]

This statement here leads me to believe you are the original poster under a different log-in.

I find it hard to believe that two individuals would give similar statements from the same geographical location particularly in light of giving misleading information as to your current location (Maryland) under your log-in and not Georgia

I contend that the original poster has a self-serving interest as a Georgia resident as it is clear in their other posts as (stvincent) they feel Georgia is the place to be for affluent African Americans. This thread was started after the Ebony article referencing Prince Georges County and affluent African American.

Looking at the original post he mentions his thought of the county being plagued with high crime, bad schools, a lack of commercial development and such. You throw that out and say that you are intrigued by the county from a distance and not one response from the original poster during the thread.

This is why I just posted a thread in the Georgia forum specifically to elicit a response from this initial poster which was my response to my belief that this thread was started for self serving purposes.

My point being in the Georgia thread is that there is no utopia here in the county and neither so in Atlanta Georgia. Yes the county has it issues with improving crime and the school system however in Georgia conditions appear worse in these areas. The crime per capita is very bad, the school system there is below this county and I don't see the development occurring there as I see in this county-albeit my information is derived solely from the AJC.

There are many links posted in the "stop denigrating PG County" thread supporting the improvements this county is making with the school system crime, commercial/retail development etc... What is Georgia doing to fix their problems?

Old 08-01-2007, 09:46 AM

Default Simple people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post

C.
From RFMD: [BEGIN QUOTE] "This statement here leads me to believe you are the original poster under a different log-in.

I find it hard to believe that two individuals would give similar statements from the same geographical location particularly in light of giving misleading information as to your current location (Maryland) under your log-in and not Georgia

I contend that the original poster has a self-serving interest as a Georgia resident as it is clear in their other posts as (stvincent) they feel Georgia is the place to be for affluent African Americans. This thread was started after the Ebony article referencing Prince Georges County and affluent African American.

Looking at the original post he mentions his thought of the county being plagued with high crime, bad schools, a lack of commercial development and such. You throw that out and say that you are intrigued by the county from a distance and not one response from the original poster during the thread.

This is why I just posted a thread in the Georgia forum specifically to elicit a response from this initial poster which was my response to my belief that this thread was started for self serving purposes.

My point being in the Georgia thread is that there is no utopia here in the county and neither so in Atlanta Georgia. Yes the county has it issues with improving crime and the school system however in Georgia conditions appear worse in these areas. The crime per capita is very bad, the school system there is below this county and I don't see the development occurring there as I see in this county-albeit my information is derived solely from the AJC.

There are many links posted in the "stop denigrating PG County" thread supporting the improvements this county is making with the school system crime, commercial/retail development etc... What is Georgia doing to fix their problems?"[ END QUOTE]

Are you serious? I copied that portion of the post just like you did. Ctrl C, then Ctrl V. And this conspiracy line of thinking is quite humorous. I do live and work in Maryland. I have lived in PGC and then I moved out. My stepchildren currently live in Bowie. All this is fully laid out in my previous posts here and on other threads. Furthermore, I can't imagine why anyone would find it necessary to go to the Georgia forum and post a thread to draw someone out or determine if the person is a troll. So simple minded. And now you know all about Georgia because you have been reading the Georgia threads. Have you lived in Georgia? What community? Do your children, stepchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins etc. attend their schools? Have you owned a home there or do you know folks who do?

FYI, my aunt actually live in Georgia; outside of Atlanta proper in Stone Mountain. I've been there more times than I can count. I do know something of the place. I have never made a statement in any of my posts comparing the two locales. But since you know so much about me then you knew that right?

[sigh]

C.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:10 AM

No I don't live in Georgia but the internet is full of trolls and people with self-serving interest etc....

I read your statement briefly overlooked the fact that this is quoted material and also misconstrued the basis of what your were saying. I like to get an idea where someone is coming from by reading their post on the forum.

No I don't find it simple minded to go to the forum as I still do want a response from the initial poster as to his point in light of what I see he is posting elsewhere. Why live in Georgia post such material and leave. I did such after this thread reappeared.

Old 08-01-2007, 10:36 AM

I also want to point out that as the Georgia thread indicates I 'am also interested in the experience of African Americans in Georgia.

That is a popular place for African Americans also to reside and would like to get input as to their experience in that area.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:40 PM

13 posts, read 52,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Shore View Post
I lived in PG county for 28 years. It is a terrible place. Crime is high and the schools are extremely bad. I only drive through it now. I wouldn't be caught dead there. It is the armpit of Maryland. Actually, armpit is being too kind it is more like another body part beginning with an A.

I forgot to mention panhandlers, drug dealers and filth.

I hate when people are not about fixing a problem, but rather complain. It was stated that you wouldn't be caught here, but u live here 28 years and it took you that long to realize that it's a terrible place. That's crazy. Crime is everywhere, even on the Eastern Shore. It may not be reported as much as in Prince George's County, but it happens. As I was told if you dont have anything positive to say, don't say anything. Thanks. Drug dealers and filth? I'm pretty sure you can find that everywhere. Instead of lookin at the glass as being 1/2 empty , look at it as being 1/2 full. Make change, if not shut up. I'm a student at Morgan State University, architecture major, and I plan to make change in Prince George's County, by becoming a developer and revitalizing in the inner-beltway communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland