U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM

31,482 posts, read 39,039,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFMD View Post
I 'am referring to bailouts, tax loopholes, subsidies and the like that support the power structure.

The structure is set-up to always have an underclass to support the few that are controlling the many.

I 'am not talking about the willingness to take risk and making prudent decisions to better oneself individually. Capitalism is in large part predicated on Greed and blaming all those less fortunate for their plight.
Have we read the news out of Baltimore City lately? All of the plight of the poor is being blamed on the wealthy and those with means who offered the opportunity to borrow money. I am listening to the Bernanke testimony now and the recent discussion was about how foreign markets give greater tax breaks to corporations and their economies are growing. Let me be honest we have just undergone a major social revolution in this country and it took place in our schools. Especially in Maryland. We saw students of varying races and economic status going to school together. They got to learn and see how others lived and approached life. Well they saw and now they are reacting. The saw others of all races make fun of them if they studied and were geeky. They saw others of all races value sports over academics. They saw others of all races neglect their studies and laugh at them for taking school serious. They saw others of all races get caught up in the prosperity of the moment and care less about their future. Well guess what many of them are now haves and people want them to be responsible for the plight of the have nots? Me thinks many of them know better. Yes they valued the
SAT"s and took them serious and went to top schools and networked with other top students. They learned finances and developed a motivation to acquire wealth. They went to the very same schools as the have nots in many cases and prospered.

They may have had their lunch money taken also.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-17-2008, 09:43 AM

746 posts, read 764,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Have we read the news out of Baltimore City lately? All of the plight of the poor is being blamed on the wealthy and those with means who offered the opportunity to borrow money. I am listening to the Bernanke testimony now and the recent discussion was about how foreign markets give greater tax breaks to corporations and their economies are growing. Let me be honest we have just undergone a major social revolution in this country and it took place in our schools. Especially in Maryland. We saw students of varying races and economic status going to school together. They got to learn and see how others lived and approached life. Well they saw and now they are reacting. The saw others of all races make fun of them if they studied and were geeky. They saw others of all races value sports over academics. They saw others of all races neglect their studies and laugh at them for taking school serious. They saw others of all races get caught up in the prosperity of the moment and care less about their future. Well guess what many of them are now haves and people want them to be responsible for the plight of the have nots? Me thinks many of them know better. Yes they valued the
SAT"s and took them serious and went to top schools and networked with other top students. They learned finances and developed a motivation to acquire wealth. They went to the very same schools as the have nots in many cases and prospered.

They may have had their lunch money taken also.

WOW, EXCELLENT STATEMENT!

It all comes down to choices and those individuals made the right one's, so now they should be responsible for you, because you consistently made the wrong one's. Turborg 100% correct! The same people that complain about the rich are the same one's that were throwing spit balls at them and name calling our future leaders during primary school. Haha and now they're begging these same individuals to help them. Reminds me of the "Grasshopper and the Ant" proverb. The Grasshopper laughed and poked fun at the hard working ants who made the right chocies preparing for winter. However, once winter struck and he had to deal with the consequence of his choices he expected the hard working ants who created wealth and saftey through hard work to help him out!! Lucky for him they did and more often than not the rich do the same for the bad choice makers of this country.

PS I remember being read this story as a child and being pissed off at the Grasshopper!! How many of you complaining are the grasshopper? How many of us busting our butts day after day are the Ants, that in the end always protect you from your bad mistakes?

Old 01-17-2008, 10:59 AM

1,606 posts, read 3,781,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
WOW, EXCELLENT STATEMENT!

It all comes down to choices and those individuals made the right one's, so now they should be responsible for you, because you consistently made the wrong one's. Turborg 100% correct! The same people that complain about the rich are the same one's that were throwing spit balls at them and name calling our future leaders during primary school. Haha and now they're begging these same individuals to help them. Reminds me of the "Grasshopper and the Ant" proverb. The Grasshopper laughed and poked fun at the hard working ants who made the right chocies preparing for winter. However, once winter struck and he had to deal with the consequence of his choices he expected the hard working ants who created wealth and saftey through hard work to help him out!! Lucky for him they did and more often than not the rich do the same for the bad choice makers of this country.

PS I remember being read this story as a child and being pissed off at the Grasshopper!! How many of you complaining are the grasshopper? How many of us busting our butts day after day are the Ants, that in the end always protect you from your bad mistakes?
This is the exact reason why I see myself becoming more fiscally conservative as little as a few years after I graduate college. And honestly, knowing how the grasshopper reacted, I wouldn't been as generous if I was the ant (now if the grasshopper was a bit less cynical of the ant's work ethic or was physically unable to work, then I would be more sympathetic). However, when you look at places like Baltimore City, Atlanta, and PG County, these same jokers and lazya**es are somehow maintaining a reasonable financial status and/or still reigning terror after they [barely] graduate or drop out from high school. These same hooligans are driving around in Bentleys and Cadillacs and wearing all sorts of name-brand clothing. That's one the main reasons why I can't stand the pro-welfare, hand-me-out mentality of this nation (and especially this state). I assume that what happens when you have the idiots, wannabe gangsters/rednecks, and f**ktard stereotypical militants control an area. But I guaran-damn-tee you if it was a socially legit place like *cough* Canada, Europe, the west coast (except LA), the Northwest/Southwest, Minneapolis, Denver, or even NoVA *cough,* the ones who worked the hardest would have the highest standard of living, and the exact would go for the opposite for the other group.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:15 AM

36 posts, read 193,914 times
It all comes down to choices and those individuals made the right one's, so now they should be responsible for you, because you consistently made the wrong one's. Turborg 100% correct! The same people that complain about the rich are the same one's that were throwing spit balls at them and name calling our future leaders during primary school. Haha and now they're begging these same individuals to help them. Reminds me of the "Grasshopper and the Ant" proverb.

Reminds me of NOLA, just after Katrina.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 AM

144 posts, read 616,204 times
If only we could get rid of the poor how crime will vanish.

I 'am not trying to get into a philosophical debate with you on your stance. I don't buy into that trickle down economics stuff and if everybody would just pull themselves up by their boot straps life would be good for all. This structure always will need an underclass to survive.

Racism and classism still exist and always will. Does it stop me from trying to achieve? Absolutely not. I 'am one who comes from poverty received an education and some would say doing alright.

Here's an article regarding PG county residents paying more for borrowing money despite having higher than average credit scores and high incomes.

High-Cost Home Loans More Common in Pr. George's - washingtonpost.com

Does this stop me from buying? Of course not. However is the playing field even for all? Would it be more difficult for me to achieve generational wealth on a 7% loan versus 5 1/2% loan over 30 years?

Old 01-17-2008, 12:27 PM

746 posts, read 764,686 times
Quote:

I 'am not trying to get into a philosophical debate with you on your stance. I don't buy into that trickle down economics stuff and if everybody would just pull themselves up by their boot straps life would be good for all. This structure always will need an underclass to survive.

Racism and classism still exist and always will. Does it stop me from trying to achieve? Absolutely not. I 'am one who comes from poverty received an education and some would say doing alright.

Here's an article regarding PG county residents paying more for borrowing money despite having higher than average credit scores and high incomes.

Does this stop me from buying? Of course not. However is the playing field even for all? Would it be more difficult for me to achieve generational wealth on a 7% loan versus 5 1/2% loan over 30 years?
First, the article is bs. Again do the research get the data. The Wall-Street Journal often post bs crap like this. However, this is why the article is crap. I've showed you through data that PGC has a higher majority of poor and lower middle class people than Moco and Fairfax, so don't you think the odds of people having higher scores in PGC is probably going to be lower than in other counties, that do not have the same total number of "at risk" home borrowers? Clearly if the majority of the county falls into "at risk" the majority of the county is going to be paying higher interest rates. This is not because they're black, but because they are higher risk and there's more of them that are "higher risk" than in other counties. They just added the black part to sell papers clearly it fooled you! It would seem that the prevailing message of the article was that blacks lacked the financial education to tell the lenders to brush off and they were willingly going into higher loans, because of lack of education. How do you fix that?

What would have been racist is that if pound for pound a black with a score of 720 on their fico received a lot higher mortgage than a white with a score of 720 all debts being equal. This is not happening. What is happening is what i named above, but again liberal papers attempting to spark racial divides does that come as a surprise? NO!

Anyway RFMD, i tend to agree with both you and Turborg. Yes, you are correct, that there are way too many loop-holes and tax cheats amongst the rich and wealthy. I do believe that needs to be fixed, but that does not change the fact, that people need to take individual responsibility like you did. I think you're trying to blame tax cheats and the wealthy getting wealthy for the social behavoir of the poor. Not having money is no excuse for not sending your children to school, loving them, caring about them, teaching them right from wrong etc. Nor is being rich any reason to neglect your children these things. However, this sort of behavoir is much more common amongst the poor than the rich, so it clearly adversly affects them to a much greater extent.

Last edited by truthhurts; 01-17-2008 at 12:38 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 01:07 PM

31,482 posts, read 39,039,347 times
Default Bravo to you

Quote:

I applaud you last paragraph and the use of the word generational wealth. You are one who should be supported in your efforts. Yes I do believe minorities in PG were steered into higher cost loans when they could have done better. I think a close look would see that they were the victims of folks who looked like them and used that to take advantage of them. Metro Homes is a perfect example and that resulting rip off. Many immigrants from Africa and the America's were victimized by brokers, lawyers and appraisers who used their commonality to rip the consumer and the mortgage bank off. Fraudulent appraisals and loan applications are the root of much of our crisis today. This was not necessarily the Man ripping people off but often the Brother.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:47 PM

144 posts, read 616,204 times
It fooled me? It's far fetched to believe this goes on in this society?

It's funny how you apply labels-Black Militant, Liberals. I personally feel this is done to pacify our own belief system. Because people don't think or act like you they have to be categorized. It's funny how Rush is the master of this.

I don't disagree on all fronts with you and I respect your candidness in this forum but I also understand what angle you are coming from.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:42 PM

564 posts, read 859,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
LE is 100% correct. If you look at the crime rates from the 60's and 70's PG had a disproportionate amount compared to the other counties. Now we do not have to get rid of all the poor, but we need to bring them down to the same levels of neighboring counties. I'm actually for getting rid of the apartments and scattering the poor into mixed economic housing neighborhoods. My theory is if you scatter these people and put them into small mixed neighborhoods where they are outnumberd by law abiding citizens who want their property rates to climb the neighborhoods will do a good job policing these poor criminals. Just look at Potomac, MD. There are quite a few mixed income neighborhoods in some of the wealthiest areas in the state and you know what the poor keep to themselves and don't cause trouble, because they know an entire neighborhood of wealthy people would rip their heads off if they did. Also it is a more effective way for them to learn by watching other effective law abiding citizens go about their daily routines. Not to mention there children get to attend better schools etc. I know people in wealthy neighborhoods hate this idea, but seriouly we should scatter the poor and make sure they are at least 2% of all "affluent" neighborhoods. I believe this would have a huge impact on the crime rate and the poor's lives for the better.
Ummmmm... I really don't care too much about what's going on in P.G. I don't care if property tax is increased 80%. I don't care if $1,000.00 a plate restaurants are put there. I did care until 1991. I watched the crime march from hyattsville, landover, riverdale etc...,etc...I remembered a time when Prince George's co. police did everything in it's power to contain the crime from going eastward or north. I remember the cops making tons of arrests and their tactics working, and I also remember them backing down and letting suspects and cars that should of been pulled over go by because of the black community being outraged. And I remember the cops pulling their stats out with something like 75% arrest rate for narcotics and other felonies. They had to stop these tactics. And the games begun. If I remember correctly the metro bus was put in about the same time, and the citizens fought hard to derail that one, but lost-ya know there's almost a direct correlation between the burst of crime and that metro bus? To any county/state planners reading this-DO NOT PUT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IN YOUR JURISDICTION. In 1984 there was like 5,000 stolen cars, in 2004 there was like over 16,000! From 1984 until 2004 murders have jumped over 300%? In all areas of crime? All together over a 60% jump in violent crime in 20 years? How does this happen? The population didn't grow 10,000%? The smartest thing anyone can do for their family is move away. Stop trying to beat a dead horse, get over the fact as I did, there is nothing you can do.
Now what I want is simply containment. Like nuclear fall out-put up a big fence with radioactive signs and keep the "fallout" within the border-It's that easy. And Maryland state govt. give P.G. enough money to expand Upper Marlboro jail by 5 times it's current size to stop letting the criminals out!

CONTAINMENT PEOPLE!

Last edited by doubbltunman; 01-17-2008 at 08:51 PM..

Old 01-17-2008, 11:43 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,096,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Ummmmm... I really don't care too much about what's going on in P.G. I don't care if property tax is increased 80%. I don't care if $1,000.00 a plate restaurants are put there. I did care until 1991. I watched the crime march from hyattsville, landover, riverdale etc...,etc...I remembered a time when Prince George's co. police did everything in it's power to contain the crime from going eastward or north. I remember the cops making tons of arrests and their tactics working, and I also remember them backing down and letting suspects and cars that should of been pulled over go by because of the black community being outraged. And I remember the cops pulling their stats out with something like 75% arrest rate for narcotics and other felonies. They had to stop these tactics. And the games begun. If I remember correctly the metro bus was put in about the same time, and the citizens fought hard to derail that one, but lost-ya know there's almost a direct correlation between the burst of crime and that metro bus? To any county/state planners reading this-DO NOT PUT PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION IN YOUR JURISDICTION. In 1984 there was like 5,000 stolen cars, in 2004 there was like over 16,000! From 1984 until 2004 murders have jumped over 300%? In all areas of crime? All together over a 60% jump in violent crime in 20 years? How does this happen? The population didn't grow 10,000%? The smartest thing anyone can do for their family is move away. Stop trying to beat a dead horse, get over the fact as I did, there is nothing you can do.
Now what I want is simply containment. Like nuclear fall out-put up a big fence with radioactive signs and keep the "fallout" within the border-It's that easy. And Maryland state govt. give P.G. enough money to expand Upper Marlboro jail by 5 times it's current size to stop letting the criminals out!

CONTAINMENT PEOPLE!
Alot of these other county residents are worried because when Pg county build the National Harbor it means more money coming in from investor,bigger projects. Now what the county is doing right now is getting rid of all section8,majority of their apartment complex and they are excepting fewer and fewer application for government benefits. Now where are these people going to live guess what in your county,in your community. YOu see Pg county is already pushing the lower income families to Charles County and Baltimore city and county some are even moving in to Howard county. Also the county is increasing the property tax.

The problem is America love to punish. We are building more jails faster then we are building educational centers. We lock them up instead of educating them. Do you ever consider that one day these criminals have to be free and enter society then what. We do not have enough educational facilty to accommodate the amount of criminals or regualr citizens who need a trade or some type of educational relieve program.

If someone gets arrested they get put in jail the same day. When that person gets out of jail and needs help they have to wait months or sometimes years to get help. The country is back wards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland