U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 05-11-2007, 04:29 PM
 
Location: Great Falls, VA
12 posts, read 62,243 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
I'm so sick of both whites and blacks using the term "acting white"
I’m just as sick you are about this. I used that term for a reason, and it’s purpose has clearly been understood. Besides, it the only way lscalder would’ve been able to comprehend. People need individualism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
from poor southern whites, which is where the bulk of blacks learned their poor english grammar.
You may be true, it sounds slightly intelligible, but it’s just nothing I’ve studied or read before. I’m sure the current dialect has evolved since its emergence hundreds of years ago to what it is today. The media, rappers and such, have simply spread it far and wide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
Well, simple you think Africans in Africa we saying "we be der" or "can you do dis"
Actually, if you have never been to Liberia (and a few others in Africa were English is spoken) you would say that. They (all of them, as they are taught) speak a mangled form of English in Liberia, I’m serious. Research it.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 05-11-2007, 04:44 PM
 
1,389 posts, read 6,094,138 times
Reputation: 299
howitsgoingdude3 You are wrong when you made this statement being upper class have less to do with the amount of money you "spend" or have. For example. People who are considered upper class would come under the following;

Attended College (could be a top notch private college or a public)
Typically tend to have an advance degree such as masters, or a PhD
Have parents who are well educated and college graduates
Work professional white collar jobs (Lawyer, doctor, dentist, executive, own a company, possibly work on wall-street)

Americans can careless if you are college educated or how many degrees you have. In America you cannot have any college education and still get more respect then those with college degrees as long as you have the money you have the power and respect. Example: Entertainers how many have a college degree, the wealthiest man in American does he have a college degree
Do any of these people who are wealth and have a lot of impact on America have a college degree Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison and Richard Branson and they get more respect then those with a college degree sad to say people really do not care about college degree. People care more about people financial worth. A lot of people with college degrees are among the poor and those with out a college degree that are living the American dream and getting respect. A degree now a days do not make you smart, financially wealthy, or get you respect. I will say it again people care less what degree you have and more about your financial worth.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-11-2007, 04:51 PM
 
Location: Falling Waters, WV
1,502 posts, read 7,155,550 times
Reputation: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
howitsgoingdude3 You are wrong when you made this statement being upper class have less to do with the amount of money you "spend" or have. For example. People who are considered upper class would come under the following;

Attended College (could be a top notch private college or a public)
Typically tend to have an advance degree such as masters, or a PhD
Have parents who are well educated and college graduates
Work professional white collar jobs (Lawyer, doctor, dentist, executive, own a company, possibly work on wall-street)

Americans can careless if you are college educated or how many degrees you have. In America you cannot have any college education and still get more respect then those with college degrees as long as you have the money you have the power and respect. Example: Entertainers how many have a college degree, the wealthiest man in American does he have a college degree
Do any of these people who are wealth and have a lot of impact on America have a college degree Bill Gates, Michael Dell, Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison and Richard Branson and they get more respect then those with a college degree sad to say people really do not care about college degree. People care more about people financial worth. A lot of people with college degrees are among the poor and those with out a college degree that are living the American dream and getting respect. A degree now a days do not make you smart, financially wealthy, or get you respect. I will say it again people care less what degree you have and more about your financial worth.

That's called being shallow!!
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-11-2007, 05:22 PM
 
175 posts, read 713,371 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparian View Post
I’m just as sick you are about this. I used that term for a reason, and it’s purpose has clearly been understood. Besides, it the only way lscalder would’ve been able to comprehend. People need individualism.



You may be true, it sounds slightly intelligible, but it’s just nothing I’ve studied or read before. I’m sure the current dialect has evolved since its emergence hundreds of years ago to what it is today. The media, rappers and such, have simply spread it far and wide.



Actually, if you have never been to Liberia (and a few others in Africa were English is spoken) you would say that. They (all of them, as they are taught) speak a mangled form of English in Liberia, I’m serious. Research it.

Sparian, your last point holds not credibility. Africans did not speak english centuries ago. Let me phrase it this way people learn English, French, German, and any other language not native to them by the people either speaking it or teaching it to them. Here's how i would explain the english language. If you look at books written from places in Northern Ireland, Certain parts of United Kingdom, and a few other various places that were english speaking centruires ago you'll find the same poor grammar that is used today, that is now in America classified as "black language" or "ebonics." I mean you can look no further than middle english and figure out where a lot of the poor grammar comes from. Now i notice you live in Great Falls, so i'm sure you've travled outside of NOVA and into Virginia (you know the difference) and i'm sure you've heard whites in those areas speak and their grammar sounds no different than the grammar from inner city DC kids. I mean take a state where there are virtually no black people like most of America hahah, but seriously West Virginia and listen to the way those people speak. They're speaking poor english grammar and they have been doing it for centuries and it has been passed down from generation to generation. I just think it is funny how poor white grammar has now evolved into "ebonics" and now whites and mislead blacks prefer that blacks speak that way as if that's some sort of real black culture haha. It's like the hip-hop culture attempting to coin themselves off as authentic black culture. I mean this is a group of people that started in the 1980's and black people have been here sine the 1660's. If more native black americans just accepted the fact, that they are mostly a combination of European traditions and very few African tradtions they wouldn't accept such silly ebonic non-sense. In closing i stand by my statement Blacks are always acting white! They're acting white whether they say Hi how are you doing? or if "they're saying Let me axe you a question" or "I be, I is, I ain't" or "I am, I'm not, I should not" it's all white culture and european grammar. If you can find African tribes speaking english prior to the influx of white europeans onto the african continent i'd surely like to see this and perhaps when you do you can give it to the smithsonian. It will surely be ground breaking work!

PS If you'd like a book that references all of this and does a great job explaining it i'd highly recommend you read "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" by Thomas Sowell.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-11-2007, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Great Falls, VA
12 posts, read 62,243 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsitgoingdude3 View Post
Sparian, your last point holds not credibility. Africans did not speak english centuries ago. Let me phrase it this way people learn English, French, German, and any other language not native to them by the people either speaking it or teaching it to them. Here's how i would explain the english language. If you look at books written from places in Northern Ireland, Certain parts of United Kingdom, and a few other various places that were english speaking centruires ago you'll find the same poor grammar that is used today, that is now in America classified as "black language" or "ebonics." I mean you can look no further than middle english and figure out where a lot of the poor grammar comes from. Now i notice you live in Great Falls, so i'm sure you've travled outside of NOVA and into Virginia (you know the difference) and i'm sure you've heard whites in those areas speak and their grammar sounds no different than the grammar from inner city DC kids. I mean take a state where there are virtually no black people like most of America hahah, but seriously West Virginia and listen to the way those people speak. They're speaking poor english grammar and they have been doing it for centuries and it has been passed down from generation to generation. I just think it is funny how poor white grammar has now evolved into "ebonics" and now whites and mislead blacks prefer that blacks speak that way as if that's some sort of real black culture haha. It's like the hip-hop culture attempting to coin themselves off as authentic black culture. I mean this is a group of people that started in the 1980's and black people have been here sine the 1660's. If more native black americans just accepted the fact, that they are mostly a combination of European traditions and very few African tradtions they wouldn't accept such silly ebonic non-sense. In closing i stand by my statement Blacks are always acting white! They're acting white whether they say Hi how are you doing? or if "they're saying Let me axe you a question" or "I be, I is, I ain't" or "I am, I'm not, I should not" it's all white culture and european grammar. If you can find African tribes speaking english prior to the influx of white europeans onto the african continent i'd surely like to see this and perhaps when you do you can give it to the smithsonian. It will surely be ground breaking work!

PS If you'd like a book that references all of this and does a great job explaining it i'd highly recommend you read "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" by Thomas Sowell.
I apologize, when I said hundreds, I meant at most 300 years, in which many of the enslaved ones did speak English. You retain your point as you have in an eloquent manner, and I do agree for the most part. But you jest; of course no native tribes in Africa speak English. The places where colonization once reigned is where you see Africans speaking English, as in Liberia's case, or French in Cote d'Ivoire's case.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2007, 07:43 AM
 
Location: MD
176 posts, read 241,515 times
Reputation: 32
Wow, you`ll real stupid. Acting liek some little boys and arguing about some stupid ****. Who cares about acting white? Most of you in this argument got issues. The fact is Iscalder is living a good qualit life. As good as anyone who lives in other counties that are in good neighborhoods. he`s happy where he is. Some of you just jealous of the success that blacks made. We just want to live our happy lives in our nice communities and feed our families. It`s not a stupid white or black thing. Look at any other group of ethnic background and you will see they so desire the same. Not because they acting white FOOLS.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2007, 09:11 AM
 
Location: UK
471 posts, read 1,763,838 times
Reputation: 192
Triniboy, you totally missed the point, once again. No one is jealous of Isacalder. As a matter of fact, I feel sorry for her. She seems to have resenment towards people who cannot afford to live in her community and who have no problem with white people. You are very ignorant (Ok I named called) but come on. You can't just keep calling people stupid, I mean how old are you? This is not a grade school forum, we are all adults, you seem to think that people who do not share the same view as you are "stupid" or "dumb" and you have "no respect" for them, PLEASE! Just who do you think you are? If people were to read this board who were thinking about moving here, they would be turned off by yu and Iscalder's snobby attitude and standoffish demeanor. I am glad Isacalder is living happy, and is very fortunate, that is a true blessing. But you can't knock people down because they cannot have the same life as you in the same county, or they have another preferance. That's forcing your views on people. Also, I thought Isacalder said she was a SHE. And further, I found success in another place, so why YOU HATING?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2007, 11:16 AM
 
Location: MD
176 posts, read 241,515 times
Reputation: 32
Contgrats Roadtripgirl. All we are saying is not to say all places in PG county are bad and I`m sorry if I offended anyone. Just don`t knock the entire county. That`s all. I have all different types of friends. In Trinidad and here all over America. Not all of them are on the same level and I know people that live in different parts of PG,Howard ,Montgomery,Fairfax and Loudon counties and I don`t look down on others who have different situations at all. Sorry if I came across snobish. Far from. Just like to be respected as I`m sure everyone else does.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2007, 11:35 AM
 
175 posts, read 713,371 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by triniboy View Post
Wow, you`ll real stupid. Acting liek some little boys and arguing about some stupid ****. Who cares about acting white? Most of you in this argument got issues. The fact is Iscalder is living a good qualit life. As good as anyone who lives in other counties that are in good neighborhoods. he`s happy where he is. Some of you just jealous of the success that blacks made. We just want to live our happy lives in our nice communities and feed our families. It`s not a stupid white or black thing. Look at any other group of ethnic background and you will see they so desire the same. Not because they acting white FOOLS.
Normally i wouldn't waste my time responding to something this outlandish, but to start name calling and acting like a child is really uncalled for. Unless you can properly articulate your views with clear and concise sentences do not respond with child like name calling. I'm a black male I attend an elite college in the northeast both of my parents are white collar professionals one of which happens to reside in PG County in Upper Marlboro to be exact, so cut the people are mad at black people success diatribe its getting old and tired and its not even a good excuse anymore. I mean in certain segments of this board you may have a valid point, but not with me, so whine to someone who might care. PG county is in no way shape or forum this black mecca of universal success. Yes, some of the blacks a small handful are very well off in the county. However, most of the blacks the alarming majority or either middle class, lower middle, or working poor and that is the point i'm trying to make. There are blacks that live everywhere some like living in all black neighborhoods, some like living in mixed neighborhoods, and some like living in white neighborhoods and to begrudge them when they disagree with you about PG county is an argument in futility. I personally do not like PG county and i've given the reason as to why I would not live there. I have never said that every nuck and crannie are populated with crime and poverty, but i've given a true reflection as best i can account and I have not stepped foot in the county in almost 10 years. If you disagree with anything i've said then perhaps as opposed to calling people "stupid" you'd be better served writing an intelligent rebuttle as to why i may be incorrect, that is how this forum is supposed to work. Right or wrong?
Rate this post positively
 
Old 05-13-2007, 11:42 AM
 
Location: MD
176 posts, read 241,515 times
Reputation: 32
Yeah, I guess in some senses yes. I made a mistake when I said the success of blacks and what I meant to say was the success of some blacks. That`s what I really meant to say.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top