U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:31 PM

135 posts, read 586,153 times

Advertisements

The gramatic rules for the English language are the same as Latin. This was decided a long time ago. They sometimes do not agree with the English language as it is from the Germantic family of languages.

And when he returned from Mecca he told of worshipping with blond haired blue eyed muslims he had no fear of. All hate had left his heart. He said he was "unknown no more". For he would be called Shabazz. When he returned, the man once called "Clay" turned his back on him and sided with the impure ones. These impure ones would soon kill the man now known as Shabazz. He went from pimp to preacher to prophet all in one lifetime. For he is my brother and my teacher, he will live in my heart forever. I will teach others about him and he will never be foregotten.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-29-2007, 05:48 PM

48 posts, read 82,187 times
For all the supposed affluence of the Black majority of PG County, what can you say about the high homicide rate? The poor schools? It seems folks are more interested in getting high end retail and fashionable restaurants than they are about improving the school systems. I grew up in PG County (Marlow Heights) in the 60s and 70s, and believe it or not, the schools were GOOD then. True, we were, "working class", Whites, but we had good outlooks and few pretensions. Some of us turned out to be, "Upper middle class".

I relocated up here from Florida, and seriously considered moving to PG County. However, in looking at the high crime rate and low performing schools, I couldn't justify a move there. What's the use in having a few, isolated, "affluent", communities, when just around the corner you have to worry about getting 'jacked, murdered, or your kids having their lunch money forcibly taken? Believe me, folks, I really do love PG County, and am proud to say I grew up there. But my gosh, folks, something has to be done!

One other problem. When I do venture into the county (which is often, since I work there, and frequently visit Marlow Heights), I sense an undercurrent of hostility and resentment to my presence. Could it be that in PG County becoming the, "Nation's most affluent Black majority county", there is resistance to any White encroachment? Please tell me I"m wrong, but that seems to be the vibes I get. I wish it weren't that way, because I want to get along just as much as anyone. Don't keep crying racism if, you, yourself, are practicing it yourselves. Sometimes we need to speak about things such as this, even if it is uncomfortable, but we need to get everything on the table. Man, I would love to move back into my old neighborhood of Marlow Heights.

Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM

57 posts, read 287,752 times
Default I'm going to try to nip this one in the bud...

...Lest we have 8 thousand "PG sucks/PG's Great" back-and-forths that are tired and useless, frankly. The reason for the affluence/Crime dichotomy is largely one of poor planning and corruption in 60 and seventies that resulted in many cheap garden-style apartments inside the beltway. Hence, they became the future breeding grounds of crime. This happens often. Here's the dichotomy part - Outside the beltway, none of this happened. Instead you have mostly single-family neighborhoods and the general peace/comfort that goes along with them. As a result, outside the beltway, it is a rare house that is under 400k. Inside the beltway, it is a rare house that is over it.
Now, toward solving the problem:
This really hasn't been highly publicized, but PG is slowly tearing down all those crime factories and replacing them with owner-occupied condos/townhouses, thus forcing out the crime producers. Since PG outside the beltway is unaffordable to most, it is highly likely that many would-be criminals will leave the county entirely, thus accomplishing 2 thing simultaneously: raising test scores and reducing crime levels. In fact, we are already seeing this. As reported in the Washington Examiner (but, strangely, not the Post), violent crime is down 10% year over year with car thefts down 30%!!! These numbers will continue to go down as the process of cleansing the county of the poor and unwanted continues. I hate to sound like some spiteful republican, but this strategy is the only one that has been shown to consistently work.
Finally, Would i move to Marlow Heights? Not a chance. Not even 10 years from now.
Would I move to another inside-the-beltway community on the Northern Green Line? You bet I would. The main difference between the two areas - jobs, jobs, jobs. And lots of private/public investment.

Old 07-29-2007, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,578 times
I hope I can add a different perspective to living in Prince Georges county. My husband and I moved here from NYC about 9 years ago. My brother-in-law moved out here first and after moving back home after two years of living in the Richmond,VA surburbs, we decided this would be a good place for our family. We live in a modest townhouse just outside the Bowie city limits that would be considered high living in my old Brooklyn neighborhood. Its all about perspective. Coming from NYC, things that bother county natives just don't have the same bearing on us. Crime - Its definitly a problem but here I sit after midnight and I haven't heard one police siren, it happens so rarely that it startles me when I do. I'm sometimes worried about what I read in papers or see on the news because this is my adopted home but I've heard so much worse back home. It's a suburb with big city problems and the elected officials as well as the voters are finally waking up and playing catch up. Schools - It seems the older your kid the more likely it is to find a good school. There are plenty of excellent elementary schools but it seems jr and hs is a problem. I am very fortunate to have my children enrolled in the public Montessori school here, which was through lottery. Its more like a family than a school and its more diverse than all three schools I attended in NYC. I wish we had more support from the school board, though it does look like Deasy will be up for expanding our program. He's has a great vision for our students and is big supporter of smaller class sizes. Housing is expensive here no doubt about it. The cheaper the home the more problems you will find. But its still cheaper than northern VA and Montgomery County.

People who are from here that I've met are fed up and have a real distrust for the local government. I completly understand but we just haven't been here long enough to feel that kind of burn. Actually we are really excited about being apart of the changes coming here. My mom still lives in Brooklyn and considers this a breather, she's trying to move here. Perhaps there are better places to live but we are making a go of it and don't expect it to be perfect. This county is neither all good or all bad.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:24 AM

144 posts, read 616,033 times
Why take this thread off the old archive heap and not use the "stop denigrating PG County" thread is beyond me.

Laurelengineer: Hopefully you did just that.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:42 AM

165 posts, read 543,529 times
Default Please clarify...

laurelengineer: "The reason for the affluence/Crime dichotomy is largely one of poor planning and corruption in 60 and seventies that resulted in many cheap garden-style apartments inside the beltway. Hence, they became the future breeding grounds of crime."

Define garden-style apartments? Are you talking about buildings or the type of apartments where you can walk right up to your door? I understand garden-style as the latter. Further, I don't get the connection between this apartment style and the idea that it breeds crime. What I have noticed in the communities I've lived in across the country is that mixed income neighborhoods fair better than communities with only single-family homes/apartments. In such areas you have a broader tax base to support the schools and city services for low, middle and higher income folks.

laurelengineer: "Since PG outside the beltway is unaffordable to most, it is highly likely that many would-be criminals will leave the county entirely, thus accomplishing 2 thing simultaneously: raising test scores and reducing crime levels."

How would folks who can't afford to live in PG afford to move somewhere else? As many know who have moved, getting your things to a new place, finding a job and getting on with life as usual is no small ecomonic feat; it takes some cash no doubt.

laurelengineer: "These numbers will continue to go down as the process of cleansing the county of the poor and unwanted continues. I hate to sound like some spiteful republican, but this strategy is the only one that has been shown to consistently work."

Come on, "cleanse the county of the poor and unwanted". So it makes sense to export the "problem" to another jurisdiction? Why not advocate for an honest effort to deal with the root causes of poverty: lack of or poor education, volunteer mentors to assist children from one parent homes, community leaders who address solvable problems like fully staffed/funded/supported community centers that provide after-school programs/tutors to help kids who need it, summer recreational opportunities, job training, social skills training etc.

C.

Old 07-30-2007, 12:45 PM

57 posts, read 287,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheasare View Post
Define garden-style apartments? Further, I don't get the connection between this apartment style and the idea that it breeds crime. What I have noticed in the communities I've lived in across the country is that mixed income neighborhoods fair better than communities with only single-family homes/apartments.

How would folks who can't afford to live in PG afford to move somewhere else? As many know who have moved, getting your things to a new place, finding a job and getting on with life as usual is no small ecomonic feat; it takes some cash no doubt.

Come on, "cleanse the county of the poor and unwanted". So it makes sense to export the "problem" to another jurisdiction? Why not advocate for an honest effort to deal with the root causes of poverty: lack of or poor education, volunteer mentors to assist children from one parent homes, community leaders who address solvable problems like fully staffed/funded/supported community centers that provide after-school programs/tutors to help kids who need it, summer recreational opportunities, job training, social skills training etc.
The answer to your last question is that no amount of money in the world can buy any of those things on your list. Nor can it buy a successful result. Further, it is not the County taxpayer's role in life to try and solve a millenia-old problem. There is a large number of poor people in PG because a while back the County accommodated them when no one else would (to the same degree). Look at every local county's crime map. You'll see that it is always centered around apartment complexes. Sorry, but crime is directly correlated with the proportion and concentration of renters.
To answer your other question, YES - it does make sense to export the poor to other jurisdictions. The geographic concentration of poverty has led to the east-west income divide that this region currently tolerates. PG has way too good of a transportation infrastructure to not have a huge job base. Frankly, it's completely wasted because employers don't want to relocate to areas with substandard housing. This is why I am glad that PG is ridding itself of these bad apartment complexes - the long-term benefits for the county are huge.

Finally, YES, mixed-income is the holy-grail of urban planning. But good luck trying to actually socially-engineer it. It takes many people, with many competing interests, to create something for the greater good, at their own expense.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:53 PM

135 posts, read 586,153 times
Default somethings never get old

"Political parties of like minded individuals both cause and affect the great events of the world: its wars, revolutions, and the like. Each of these parties acts in its best own interest, or at least what it believes to be its best interest at the time. Every party differs in its primary interests, and this causes agreat deal of conflict. Every person in these political parties has a personal interest that may or may not coincide with the party's interest. As soon as a party achieves its general interest, each member begins to pursue his private interest. As these will vary greatly across all members, there will be a great deal of conflict and more division. Few people in public affairs act with the good of their country in mind, whatever they might say to the contrary. Even though their pretensions can bring genuine good to their country, this happens by accident. No one in public affairs acts out of general benevolence, but each believes that what he wants and what the country wants is often the same thing.. As such, almost no one in puplic affairs ever acts with the good of humankind in mind"

Ben Franklin

Old 07-30-2007, 04:33 PM

175 posts, read 713,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelengineer View Post
The answer to your last question is that no amount of money in the world can buy any of those things on your list. Nor can it buy a successful result. Further, it is not the County taxpayer's role in life to try and solve a millenia-old problem. There is a large number of poor people in PG because a while back the County accommodated them when no one else would (to the same degree). Look at every local county's crime map. You'll see that it is always centered around apartment complexes. Sorry, but crime is directly correlated with the proportion and concentration of renters.
To answer your other question, YES - it does make sense to export the poor to other jurisdictions. The geographic concentration of poverty has led to the east-west income divide that this region currently tolerates. PG has way too good of a transportation infrastructure to not have a huge job base. Frankly, it's completely wasted because employers don't want to relocate to areas with substandard housing. This is why I am glad that PG is ridding itself of these bad apartment complexes - the long-term benefits for the county are huge.

Finally, YES, mixed-income is the holy-grail of urban planning. But good luck trying to actually socially-engineer it. It takes many people, with many competing interests, to create something for the greater good, at their own expense.

Wow, it's extremely rare I agree with any of you on these PG boards (any of you referring to the usual suspects RFMD,Family Matters, Laurel Eng, and everyone's favorite PG Snob Iscalder

However, I do agree with the jest of Laurel E's point and I think it is very valid. I think this was stated elsewhere or earlier in the board, but if I remember correctly PG was technically created for poorer whites and lower middle class whites (working poor, blue collar, etc). However over time whites moved further out and blacks from DC started to move into those areas. If I remember correctly the way DC was setup blacks who now inhabit 95% of southeast did not even live there in the 1950's and 60's it was a predominately white area. Anyway I digress as that is neither here nor there, but main point is that PG was not setup to be a middle class upper middle class utopia, so a lot of the "inside of the beltway" problems persist because of this history. In other words I definitely agree with Laurel E's point who gives two craps get "those people" the hell out of PG and ship there a%% to Fairfax. Make them someone else’s problem. To further that point I also agree it is not the tax payers’ jobs to help fix these people's life. You cannot "fix" someone else’s life through social programs or any other government tom foolery. Once these "poorer people" start to take responsibility for their actions then it will be a lot easier for others to help, because it almost comes naturally. Again I digress......

Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM

1,389 posts, read 6,093,945 times
when people use the word "poor" as if they are better then others. What I have realize in America is that thier is only two class of folks its either rich or poor. I think middle class was develope to make others people feel better of themselves. What I have realize is in America its not hard for anyone to become poor or live in low income houses. Majority of Americans live pay check to pay check lets imagin what would happen if one family member looses their job or become very ill poor will be knocking on your door. With the way Real Estate is going and the Stock market we will all start to see those call middle class who think they are better then poor will be living in the same community as those they look down on. DO you know how many middle class family are becoming poor. Montgmery county is the fastest foreclosure county in Maryland. Think about the family who tried to get away from poor now their nightmare have come true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland