Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:39 PM

217 posts, read 751,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscalder View Post
Fishfister: Be quiet you do not know what you are talking about. You speak so highly about NOVA but the regular family can no longer afford to live in NOVA why? because the city made it that way. NOVA government increase property tax so lower class families can never ever dream of living in the area. Why not complain to NOVA government and resident and why do you speak so highly about an area that is known to out price everything so lower class or the normal blue colar family can not afford to live in NOVA but yet Pg county should be the only county to lower our standard so people like yourself can always point fingers. No its time for us to take charge and increase our standards. In April Pg county will have the most upscale restaurants in the entire east coast,what you just mention I bet you can never repeat those words starting April. we will have restaurants that you can only find in Las vegas or other high upscale resorts. You talk about the crime in Pg county and how the county needs to fix the problem but now the county is fixing the problem and people who live outside of Pg county are the only ones with the problem and it have to do more with us. People do not want any crimes in NOVA or other surrounding areas but if we are all equal, its seem to me you have an issue with having your neighborhood full with section8 residents,lower income families or crimes. PG county residents are tired of having issues with our county we are tired of people who live in NOVA point fingers at the county and say NOVA have nothing but upscale restaurants but when we are fixing the issues people like you point and say no you can not fix the issues because where are these citizens going and guess what NOVA residents can careless where the crimes in their city get push to as long as its not in NOVA so they can continue pointing their fingers. I can careless if the crimes get push in the NOVA. I SAY GET RID OF ALL THE SECTION8,CRIME RIDDEN FOLKS AND SHIP THEM WHERE EVER THEY FLOAT To. Pg county have always welcome lower inccome families we are the only county in Maryland for yrs have always welcome them. We are not getting rid of lower income families who are tring to survive and raise excelllent children. We are getting rid of the criminals.
Comparing homes have nothing to do with the topic.
Do you have a high school education? Did you read the post you replied to? Was the reference to NOVA in that post at all?

I say NO to 2 out of 3 as you may have a GED. By the way, NOVA is not a city. NOVA stands for NOrthern VirginiA. Drive around the beltway a few times and realize that VA is at the ends of both the Wilson bridge and the American Legion bridge. It is all considered NOVA but, then again, so is Dale city.

You are not yet old enough to know what you are championing when you misquote marketing hype. Type it correctly and in your own words so as not to get lost in it.
In April Pg county will have the most upscale restaurants in the entire east coast,what you just mention I bet you can never repeat those words starting April. we will have restaurants that you can only find in Las vegas or other high upscale resorts.
Is the entire county is to hinge itself upon National Harbor for the height in tantalizing culinary experiences on the entire Eastern Shore? Why not a few restaurants, other than Chinese, here and there at other places? I have a one or two places I like in my area that aren't chains.
I am looking forward to http://www.nationalharbor.com/News-and-Press.aspx?id=384 (broken link)
Who isn't but, who is going to frequent these places on a regular basis? If these are $60 a patron restaurants, which I can tell you right now they are, how will they subsist based on patrons from just PGC? That is what you are suggesting, correct?
Have you ever been to a Ruth's Chris steakhouse? Those restaurants are top of the line and $$$.

Something that was brought to my attention this past weekend by a friend of mine that surveyed that site 20 years ago for the original failed Harbor plans - the stench of Blue Plains drifts down river on hot summer days and nights. His co-worker was almost fired for bringing it up in a meeting all those years ago.
If it turns out as well as the Georgetown waterfront did it will be nice.

No its time for us to take charge and increase our standards.
This will need to be a personal conviction as well as your own activist voiced one - can you get the entire county to sign on? I was in line in front of you - if you cannot tell by my disgust I must not be wording anything strongly enough.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:11 PM

746 posts, read 845,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubbltunman View Post
Hold on there partner!!!! I left P.G. county for what it has become!! And I wont speak for all other people who live in surrounding jurisdictions, but I will for those I know and myself. Let's hold the mess right at the border! Let's build a whole lot more apartments in laurel and calverton/beltsville. I will speak for myself when saying where are all these criminals going to go? Let's keep them all right in P.G. county in the border, and build more apartments and public housing. P.G. county created the mess it's in, and it's unfair to the surrounding counties to receive "any" "none" "zero" of "it's" "mess".

LE is 100% correct. If you look at the crime rates from the 60's and 70's PG had a disproportionate amount compared to the other counties. Now we do not have to get rid of all the poor, but we need to bring them down to the same levels of neighboring counties. I'm actually for getting rid of the apartments and scattering the poor into mixed economic housing neighborhoods. My theory is if you scatter these people and put them into small mixed neighborhoods where they are outnumberd by law abiding citizens who want their property rates to climb the neighborhoods will do a good job policing these poor criminals. Just look at Potomac, MD. There are quite a few mixed income neighborhoods in some of the wealthiest areas in the state and you know what the poor keep to themselves and don't cause trouble, because they know an entire neighborhood of wealthy people would rip their heads off if they did. Also it is a more effective way for them to learn by watching other effective law abiding citizens go about their daily routines. Not to mention there children get to attend better schools etc. I know people in wealthy neighborhoods hate this idea, but seriouly we should scatter the poor and make sure they are at least 2% of all "affluent" neighborhoods. I believe this would have a huge impact on the crime rate and the poor's lives for the better.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:19 PM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
"...but seriouly we should scatter the poor..."

If only it was that easy. Nice concept, but not very realistic. So do we scatter the wealthy throughout Appalachia, the inner cities, and trailer parks to equalize those areas too? Can't just relocate just the poor, we'd run out of space in the "wealthy" areas.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:31 PM

217 posts, read 751,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
"...but seriouly we should scatter the poor..."

If only it was that easy. Nice concept, but not very realistic. So do we scatter the wealthy throughout Appalachia, the inner cities, and trailer parks to equalize those areas too? Can't just relocate just the poor, we'd run out of space in the "wealthy" areas.
Beautiful.

I suppose most are of the mindset to kill them off because of their financial status. Genocide of the down and out. Call Dr Poorvorkian.
If everyone were at the least in the now current top 50 percentile range what would an unskilled labor job be? Who would do housekeeping in hotels or clean the toilets in business office buildings. Who would be the school janitor?
Are we to build a reservation for the impoverished and leave them there to die?
Aren't any of you human?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:35 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Beautiful.

I suppose most are of the mindset to kill them off because of their financial status. Genocide of the down and out. Call Dr Poorvorkian.
If everyone were at the least in the now current top 50 percentile range what would an unskilled labor job be? Who would do housekeeping in hotels or clean the toilets in business office buildings. Who would be the school janitor?
Aren't any of you human?
How about having better resources, forcing companies to offer affordable health insurance, and having community financial programs, so people can learn how to mange money? I think it's amazing how many people know next to nothing about credit scores, and finance charges, etc. There should be financial preparation classes in high school, so that kids learn this info and don't get themselves into trouble that they have a hard time finding a way out of. One of the reasons that poor people stay poor is because they can't afford the necessities, such as health care; and end up owing thousands of dollars for emergency room visits.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:44 AM

144 posts, read 630,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Beautiful.

Aren't any of you human?
Fish:

You seem to want to make this a PG County issue when in fact this is a societal issue. It's about the powers that be. This is life in the USA. There is no utopia here

Go talk to Bush and the many other clowns that have come before him that we worship and deify who are more concerned about the rich getting richer and poor poorer. How they are for protecting credit card companies pharmaceutical companies and ensuring other big business are reaping in the dough. Go look into the Bush's CIA relationship and the effect it has on this country and we as a society etc etc.

Anybody who comes along with the intent of redistributing the wealth in this country and jeopardizes the powers that be will be taken out quickly. All the so called intelligence agencies will be after them and you can be assured they will be snuffed out if they are a legitimate threat to this political structure.

They are capitalizing off of people like you and instead you blame the county. 90% of the wealth is in the hands of 10% of the people. The tax structure is set up to buffer the rich. Go hate on that. This is not exclusive to PG County. Go in front of the WHITE HOUSE and protest this and do something they don't like and see how fast your A-- is locked up.

The county certainly has it issues but please people need to start being objective and not turning their warped hate into negative biases.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:46 AM

8 posts, read 38,916 times
Fishfister,

I agree with you wholeheartedly. What would this country be if we did not have laborers to do the unskilled work that so many people refuse or believe are beneath them? People should not judge a person by where they live, financial status, or even employment. At any time, each of us could lose our homes, jobs, family, etc. and our circumstances would be entirely different. Embrace those who are less fortunate and try to help instead of discriminating.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:52 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Egads, people are talking about redistributing the wealth?
Which wealth asset would you like to take.

Investments (people who took risk and provided capital to the market and came out ahead).

Income ( People who did what was necessary to be successful in their area of employment)?

Inheritance ( People who did the above and are family oriented and planned for their children's future).

Real Estate Appreciation ( Again Capital outlay and risk etc etc).

Let me try another thought- Get your hands out of my pocket and do the things necessary to acquire wealth for you and your family. Focus on acquiring things that appreciate and not ones that depreciate. No cell phones, cable, Directv, Play Station3, fancy car or debt until you are putting $500 a month into sheltered investments for your old age.
We don't need more cradle to grave tax burdens. You have the opportunity to study, save buy with prudence and become a fatter cat yourself one day.

Many of todays wealthy were from families that only a few generations ago were poor. Should we punish them for their efforts? Maryland has a serious issue with inequity. The solution is not to drive the wealthy out of state to a land of greater balance.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:40 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
TuborgP -- When I responded to "scattering the poor," I was being sarcastic. It would be interesting to try to force a whole demographic to relocate. I happen to be what some would call "working poor." I am not a criminal nor am I financially irresponsible as people want to portray the unwealthy. I own two used cars (a 1988 and a 2000). I have a $19.99 Tracfone. I don't own a game system, nor does anyone else in the household. My computer is 6 years old (luckily, I can do my own upgrades and repairs). I have no credit cards (or the debt that goes with it). I even have hand-me-down furniture. I do have life insurance, health insurance, and a 401K. I'm a copy editor, so I assume I'm educated. I work a 9-5 office job with a government contractor. Why am I financially strapped? Could it be that I'm a single parent of 2 kids with a deadbeat ex? Could it be this area with its high cost of insurance (auto and health), housing, and utilities. I don't have my hands in anyone's pockets. I don't get any government assistance. I can do everything responsibly like you say, but I will not by any stretch of the imagination become "WEALTHY."

Old 01-17-2008, 08:45 AM

144 posts, read 630,810 times
I 'am referring to bailouts, tax loopholes, subsidies and the like that support the power structure.

The structure is set-up to always have an underclass to support the few that are controlling the many.

I 'am not talking about the willingness to take risk and making prudent decisions to better oneself individually. Capitalism is in large part predicated on Greed and blaming all those less fortunate for their plight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland