Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 11:47 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,802,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
Schools in this county are terrible. Bad administration, bad principals, terrible teacher and staff turnover, overtly sensitive teacher mandates (teachers being removed from permanent classrooms and replaced with subs for very little reason). These teachers are literally sitting at home collecting a check, while the classroom is abandoned with a sub, for seemingly any allegation, whether proved false or true.

At one of my kids schools, a teacher was put on administrative leave for "suggesting" a student be put on time out. The result- classroom had a permanent sub for 3 months, and the teacher found a new school. Classroom went to hell, naturally until a new permanent teacher came in with 2 months to go in the school year.

Underwhelming test scores, kids being ushered through at a rabbits pace, whether they are taught or not- schools are well funded, yet choose to spend their money unwisely.

Way too man "employees" and not enough services, I could go on an on.

Unless you can afford to pay for private, or are fortunate enough to have a family member who lives in another county/DC to play the address game with, don't do it. This goes for any color/race.
horrible bathrooms to
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 02:53 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,810,795 times
Quote:
Schools in this county are terrible. Bad administration, bad principals, terrible teacher and staff turnover, overtly sensitive teacher mandates (teachers being removed from permanent classrooms and replaced with subs for very little reason). These teachers are literally sitting at home collecting a check, while the classroom is abandoned with a sub, for seemingly any allegation, whether proved false or true.

At one of my kids schools, a teacher was put on administrative leave for "suggesting" a student be put on time out. The result- classroom had a permanent sub for 3 months, and the teacher found a new school. Classroom went to hell, naturally until a new permanent teacher came in with 2 months to go in the school year.

Underwhelming test scores, kids being ushered through at a rabbits pace, whether they are taught or not- schools are well funded, yet choose to spend their money unwisely.

Way too man "employees" and not enough services, I could go on an on.

Unless you can afford to pay for private, or are fortunate enough to have a family member who lives in another county/DC to play the address game with, don't do it. This goes for any color/race.
My wife teaches in AA County. They are having some of the same problems. The main problem is the teachers can't discipline the students, especially if they are black and the students know it and are taking control of "some" of the schools. The schools with good leadership that are not afraid to discipline the kids are doing fine however. It really comes down to having good principles and principles that hire good teachers and they are all on the same page with how to run a school. Too many principles that don't care, hire only their friends as teachers and let the kids run wild will ruin an entire school.

Once a school gets a bad reputation, it's very difficult to reverse as parents that care start to move out of the district or a bad reputation keeps good families from moving in. Then you have a downward spiral that will ultimately effect the entire county.

Having said that, PG County has some goods schools and I don't know why a white family couldn't live there as a minority. I'm white, but I when to mostly black public schools and it was fine. 90% of how successful kids are in public schools is based on the student's home life and their parents, not the school district anyway.

Last edited by kcmo; 11-29-2017 at 03:11 PM..

Old 11-30-2017, 08:38 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,930,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
My wife teaches in AA County. They are having some of the same problems. The main problem is the teachers can't discipline the students, especially if they are black and the students know it and are taking control of "some" of the schools. The schools with good leadership that are not afraid to discipline the kids are doing fine however. It really comes down to having good principles and principles that hire good teachers and they are all on the same page with how to run a school. Too many principles that don't care, hire only their friends as teachers and let the kids run wild will ruin an entire school.

Once a school gets a bad reputation, it's very difficult to reverse as parents that care start to move out of the district or a bad reputation keeps good families from moving in. Then you have a downward spiral that will ultimately effect the entire county.

Having said that, PG County has some goods schools and I don't know why a white family couldn't live there as a minority. I'm white, but I when to mostly black public schools and it was fine. 90% of how successful kids are in public schools is based on the student's home life and their parents, not the school district anyway.
Come on bro- that bolded part is your own personal insecurity or bias. White/black/Green, the school system as a whole in the State of Maryland is behind and a joke.

Old 11-30-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Come on bro- that bolded part is your own personal insecurity or bias. White/black/Green, the school system as a whole in the State of Maryland is behind and a joke.
No it's not. Schools are scolded when they have a high percent of blacks disciplined vs whites and so principles will hold back on disciplining black kids or tell teachers they are on their own while they will discipline white kids for lesser issues. It's a numbers game and it's politics from the top down.

My wife has taught in urban and high minority suburban districts all her life. It's the same everywhere, not just Maryland. If a class has 15 white kids and 15 black kids then the ratio of discipline better be similar. (there should be 2 bad white kids for every 2 bad black kids). It just doesn't work that way in real life most of the time.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
No it's not. Schools are scolded when they have a high percent of blacks disciplined vs whites and so principles will hold back on disciplining black kids or tell teachers they are on their own while they will discipline white kids for lesser issues. It's a numbers game and it's politics from the top down.

My wife has taught in urban and high minority suburban districts all her life. It's the same everywhere, not just Maryland. If a class has 15 white kids and 15 black kids then the ratio of discipline better be similar. (there should be 2 bad white kids for every 2 bad black kids). It just doesn't work that way in real life most of the time.
The fact that you are so hyper focused on race, and barely mentioned or scolded the actual school system that would allow these racial number wrangling games to even go on, tells a lot about your true motivation.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
The fact that you are so hyper focused on race, and barely mentioned or scolded the actual school system that would allow these racial number wrangling games to even go on, tells a lot about your true motivation.
It's the district's fault for allowing it. I'm just telling you what's going on since you seemed to not believe me. This is obviously not the only problem with public schools, but you have to be able to effectively discipline the students.

Race is hardly the biggest problem facing public schools.

Poor teachers that don't care and have little ability to actually teach, but have tenure and just show up to babysit.

Good teachers that try hard, but have so much paperwork and red tape that they can't actually teach.

Way too many buddy/pal systems going on in schools and at the district level where all you have to do is know the right people to get whatever job you want, no matter how unqualified you are for the job.

Caving to political nonsense (both conservative and liberal) rather than just doing what's right for the students.

Blaming everything on the school system when many students don't have proper parents to help guide the children through this important part of their life. People expect public schools to raise their kids for them often despite having a terrible home environment with parents that couldn't care less and let their kids run wild getting involved with criminal activity etc.

Old 11-30-2017, 12:52 PM

45,202 posts, read 60,346,783 times
In defense of PGCPS, all Maryland school systems are working their discipline policies based on mandates from Maryland State Department of Education addressing disparate impact.

Those mandates, about four or five years ago, required lessening penalties for certain behaviors disproportionally committed by one or another student cohort.

Physical attack on teachers went from automatic expulsion to 10 day out of school suspension, as one example.

The penalties for chronic classroom disruption and insubordination had a couple changes. The number of teacher initiated parent contacts and assigned detentions increased before they could be sent to the Administration (and God help the teacher if they had any documentation out of order). The Administrative penalties decreased from out of school suspension to either in school suspension or counseling.

The automatic request for expulsion for possession of drugs and/or alcohol went to ten day suspension.

Possession of weapons remained at automatic expulsion but an appeal process was instituted.

The last two actually changed 12 or 15 years ago.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:05 AM

16,508 posts, read 10,548,205 times
Quote:
You are either naive, uninformed, or choose to see the world through rose-colored glasses. Look up "disparate impact." That's the notion that groups should be represented in (whatever category) in general proportion to their share of the overall population. Thus, the thinking goes that if a particular student body is half black and half white, disciplinary measures should be meted out in roughly equal proportion.

Of course, in the real world, things aren't so evenly distributed. In the above example, I can just about guarantee that the proportion of honor students won't be half and half. Nor will the proportion of star athletes. And nor will the proportion of students who should be subject to disciplinary measures. Notice that I said "should." In schools that are held in thrall to the "disparate impact" theory, discipline will indeed be meted out in roughly equal proportion. But in the real world, what this usually means is that white kids will be disciplined more harshly than their offenses merit, whereas black kids will be disciplined less so than would be warranted.

It's unfair, and discriminatory, and racist -- against whites. But the liberals who run most school systems don't care about that.

Old 12-01-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
You are either naive, uninformed, or choose to see the world through rose-colored glasses. Look up "disparate impact." That's the notion that groups should be represented in (whatever category) in general proportion to their share of the overall population. Thus, the thinking goes that if a particular student body is half black and half white, disciplinary measures should be meted out in roughly equal proportion.

Of course, in the real world, things aren't so evenly distributed. In the above example, I can just about guarantee that the proportion of honor students won't be half and half. Nor will the proportion of star athletes. And nor will the proportion of students who should be subject to disciplinary measures. Notice that I said "should." In schools that are held in thrall to the "disparate impact" theory, discipline will indeed be meted out in roughly equal proportion. But in the real world, what this usually means is that white kids will be disciplined more harshly than their offenses merit, whereas black kids will be disciplined less so than would be warranted.

It's unfair, and discriminatory, and racist -- against whites. But the liberals who run most school systems don't care about that.
Jeez cry me a river! Come on if your acting like a @ss and your white, face the punishment- If your acting like and @ss and your black, whether the punishment is as severe or not, you will still face the punishment- the bottom line is don't act like an @ss in school! As stated above by North Beach Person, there is a rubric for punishments, so regardless of frequency (depends on kid) their is only so much that can be done to a kid anyway.

This whole racial thing is blurring the lines and trying to pick at low hanging fruit i.e. race

The school system is broken, and ran by incompetent, degenerate, greedy, unqualified morons, and your whining about unfair racial discipline practices, when at the end of the day if your child was doing their work, and not acting like an @ss it wouldn't be a problem.

It starts at home, for all kids.

Last edited by cool rob; 12-01-2017 at 08:05 AM..

Old 12-01-2017, 08:21 AM

Quote:
It starts at home, for all kids.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland