Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:04 AM

95 posts, read 227,989 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at their MBA program.

How do people view a degree from UMUC...both in private sector and government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 08:33 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,987,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post

Its a heck of a lot better than getting your MBA or MFA (Finance and accounting) from the University of Phoenix any other diploma mill!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:04 AM

117 posts, read 234,285 times
Pretty well. I'm a graduate of UMUC and worked in non-profit and private sector. No negative feedback at all since it is tied to the University System of Maryland and accredited.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropping_k View Post
Pretty well. I'm a graduate of UMUC and worked in non-profit and private sector. No negative feedback at all since it is tied to the University System of Maryland and accredited.
I too am a graduate. UMUC has consistently demonstrated that its graduates contribute to their respective fields of study. Again, they are accredited and part of the University of Maryland system.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:42 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
It's not a for profit school, it is considered part of the University of Maryland system. It's not respected as say a degree at Harvard, but people will not question it either. It is seen as a way for working professionals to get their masters or certificates in the area, which is not a bad thing.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:23 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
What's up with these places like University of Pheonix and Cappella?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Its a heck of a lot better than getting your MBA or MFA (Finance and accounting) from the University of Phoenix any other diploma mill!

Old 05-20-2015, 06:25 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,417,247 times
I know some a few people who came out of their social work program, and their doing well. Best of luck on your program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skooby View Post

Old 05-20-2015, 05:27 PM

640 posts, read 1,294,898 times
Really for MBA programs the top 100 are all that matter especially the top 20. But if you're already a professional most any school will do even those outside the top 100.

Look for something your employer will cover will educational funds.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:21 AM

3 posts, read 13,359 times
Default UMUC MBA Grad

Hello,

What you've probably researched and read is accurate from my point of view as an UMUC MBA graduate. This isn't Stanford Business School, Harvard, or the Wharton School of Business. It won't magically open doors to $250k a year jobs. It will fill the graduate school gap in your resume, fulfill federal government requirements for advanced education, and is respected because it is the University of Maryland.

I would stay away from Phoenix and other for profit schools. Private conversations pointedly make fun of Phoenix and similar schools. While many employers may not say it publicly, they do not like Phoenix.

I proudly list my education as UMUC and not just University of Maryland. The Maryland Smith School of Business is a much better and higher quality program. That being said, I don't mind listing UMUC, as it was a lot of work to get my MBA. Granted, if you just want the degree and want to 'skate' through the program, you can do that, too. I wanted to do well and graduated with a 4.0. That is hard work, but also some luck depending on the professors. Some are easy graders, others almost impossible to get an A.

My current position as a VP of a small association was partly predicated on my having an MBA. The CEO noted that seeing "MBA" was important in addition to my other skills. Thus, I will say it helped me directly get a better low six figure job. If you already have that kind of salary, it won't boost it IMHO. You would be doing it for the love of education and have an MBA - which is nice to say. It has come up several times already in my work.

Hope that was helpful.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:53 AM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramo View Post
Hello,

What you've probably researched and read is accurate from my point of view as an UMUC MBA graduate. This isn't Stanford Business School, Harvard, or the Wharton School of Business. It won't magically open doors to $250k a year jobs. It will fill the graduate school gap in your resume, fulfill federal government requirements for advanced education, and is respected because it is the University of Maryland.

I would stay away from Phoenix and other for profit schools. Private conversations pointedly make fun of Phoenix and similar schools. While many employers may not say it publicly, they do not like Phoenix.

I proudly list my education as UMUC and not just University of Maryland. The Maryland Smith School of Business is a much better and higher quality program. That being said, I don't mind listing UMUC, as it was a lot of work to get my MBA. Granted, if you just want the degree and want to 'skate' through the program, you can do that, too. I wanted to do well and graduated with a 4.0. That is hard work, but also some luck depending on the professors. Some are easy graders, others almost impossible to get an A.

My current position as a VP of a small association was partly predicated on my having an MBA. The CEO noted that seeing "MBA" was important in addition to my other skills. Thus, I will say it helped me directly get a better low six figure job. If you already have that kind of salary, it won't boost it IMHO. You would be doing it for the love of education and have an MBA - which is nice to say. It has come up several times already in my work.

Hope that was helpful.
THIS.

For profit schools such as the university of phoenix of the worlds are to be avoided. They are not reputible.

But in terms of UMUC, it's not the best, but it's not bad either. This explination is dead on.

Most people view UMUC as a working professionals program. Nobody really frowns on it. I think it's treated like many other extension programs for working professionals that are out there. People use it to enhance their education and experience that they already have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland