Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2015, 07:20 PM

181 posts, read 385,313 times

Advertisements

A little background...was working with a realtor to find a home to rent and we went as far as putting in an application on a home. Only to discover that I didn't think the realtor was doing much of their job and there were too many errors with the process. Needless to say, it out me off getting the home, so I could essentially 'fire' them. A

While I really like the home, am I able to find someone else to represent me in way of another realtor on the same home or should I just discuss with the landlords realtor?

Not sure what the real estate laws are in MD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 09:37 AM

341 posts, read 423,950 times
Why in the Sam Hill would you use a realtor to rent a house? Approach landlord, meet terms, rent.

Old 05-19-2015, 12:10 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghead View Post
Why in the Sam Hill would you use a realtor to rent a house? Approach landlord, meet terms, rent.
I'm actually considering having an agent take me around in July. It will cost me nothing and he'll go to bat for me with the landlords. This fellow comes highly recommended by a friend who used him to find a house to rent. She's very no-nonsense and not afraid to tell someone what's what, and she said he's not the type to upsell, try to push areas and places I don't want or features I don't need, etc. I will have limited time to scout places out when I'm on my recon mission down there and don't want to waste it checking out places that do not meet my requirements.

Old 05-23-2015, 11:24 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,848 times
You can certainly call the listing agent for the rental. Or if you want another agent who is representing you; then by all means, call the agent's broker and asked to be reassigned to a different agent. I'm honestly having a hard time understanding how it was the realtor's fault you didn't get the house; once an application is placed, it is out of the realtor's hands. The rental market is crazy right now; there are usually several applications on the good properties.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,749 times
If the application is in, the Realtor doesnt really influence the process of whether you get the rental or not. That decision is up to the landlord.

@Baghead asked why would you use a Realtor on a rental....you would because there are numerous properties that are only listed on the MLS, so the only way to get access to see and apply for that proeprty is through a Realtor/Real Estate agent.

Disclosure: I am a Realtor.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:04 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,629,344 times
I don't understand some of the comments here.

Of course a realtor effect your ability to rent. If the lessee isn't paying the realtor than the lessor sure is. It the lessor gets two offers to rent, one which requires a payment to a realtor (typically one month's rent) and the other one doesn't then chances are the one that doesn't require a realtor payment will get the nod.

Realtors are expensive but may provide a valuable service if they are capable. Unfortunately my experiences with realtors suggests that no one looking out for the buyer since everyone is pushing for a fast sale.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:13 PM

31 posts, read 40,488 times
I had a great experience with a "locator" that worked at RentalsGoneWild. I almost signed with a realtor until I call that company. They didn't have me sign a contract, the rent amount was exactly what it was on the landlords site.

If I had to guess, I don't think hiring an actual realtor should change the process of getting a rental or not.

@baghead, I would if I don't have the time to sort through the hundreds of scams or bad listings. Also to obtain access to listings not advertised on generic Rolodex sites like zillow.

Old 07-22-2015, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russelltee View Post
If the application is in, the Realtor doesnt really influence the process of whether you get the rental or not. That decision is up to the landlord.

@Baghead asked why would you use a Realtor on a rental....you would because there are numerous properties that are only listed on the MLS, so the only way to get access to see and apply for that proeprty is through a Realtor/Real Estate agent.

Disclosure: I am a Realtor.
Not sure this is correct. I believe I can see all of the rental MLS listings on sites such as Zillow, Realtor.com and Redfin

Old 07-22-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahstark View Post
I had a great experience with a "locator" that worked at RentalsGoneWild. I almost signed with a realtor until I call that company. They didn't have me sign a contract, the rent amount was exactly what it was on the landlords site.

If I had to guess, I don't think hiring an actual realtor should change the process of getting a rental or not.

@baghead, I would if I don't have the time to sort through the hundreds of scams or bad listings. Also to obtain access to listings not advertised on generic Rolodex sites like zillow.

It is true that landlords will pay the fee for services such as RentalsGoneWild, but still a landlord can choose to rent to a lessee that doesn't have an associated fee if both are requesting the rental at the same time. There is a cost to using any realty service. If it is a tight market it is up to the landlord whether to pay the fee.

One other important point. Realtors and services such as RentalsGoneWild only work with apartments that agree to pay theit fee. All others are excluded from the search. This means the client may not be seeing the most attractive offerings.

Last edited by richrf; 07-22-2015 at 03:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland