Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2016, 08:39 AM

7,069 posts, read 9,489,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
To me it feels like the progress building this place has been extremely slow. Feels like a solo handy man and his retired buddy could have finished this whole foods from the ground up in roughly the same time frame. They haven't announced anything new in regards to businesses or developers for this place in almost year.

Right now they've got:
Whole Foods
Hyatt House
Old Line Bank
Bella Spa
(Habit Burger)

At this rate, seems they may never finish the project.
I know. It is frustrating. I think part of the reason it is taking so long, and this is purse speculation, is that there was a 6 month delay last summer where nothing was happening. In addition, the fact that the property was heavily forested, there was no underground infrastructure at the site, and a few delays with permits. Construction resources could also be stretched. There are about 5 large construction projects going on along RT. and on campus at the same time. Maybe some of the contractors are working on multiple projects. Who knows?

Now I'm starting to think my July open date for Whole Foods is in jeopardy. lol August?

But construction still trudges along. And now work on the bridge has started. So, it's happening, just in slow motion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 09:50 AM

Default Riverdale Park Station Construction Update

Noticeable updates in bold.

Quote:
During the next two weeks the General Contractor, L.F. Jennings, will continue site construction including underground utility work to install storm drains, water mains, electric conduits and site lighting in multiple areas on the site. Washington Gas Light (WGL) and PEPCO continue to bring service to each new building.

Installation of curb and gutter around the entire west side of the site is ongoing. Installation of the new traffic signal at Van Buren Street and Route 1 is complete. This signal will be the property of the State and will most likely be placed into operation just prior to Riverdale Park Station opening. The parking lot in front of the Whole Foods Market will be paved and the first course of paving around the Whole Foods Market will be placed in April. Trees will soon be planted in the parking lot islands prior to paving. The final asphalt top course and striping will be completed later this spring. Construction of screen walls, seat walls, sign walls and other site hardscape structures in Gateway Park (buffer area adjacent to Route 1) and around the Whole Foods Market parking lot is ongoing. Final grading of the dirt in this buffer area is ongoing in preparation for landscape plantings. Bio-soil storm water retention devices are being installed throughout the site as required. Landscaping for areas completed during the winter months will be started.

The construction of a large permanent storm water management pond in the NE corner of the site is ongoing. The installation of a new storm drain outfall pipe under Rhode Island Avenue, from Wells Run to the site, has been installed and the road is now being patched.
Quote:
Future Plans:

Two week to two month look-ahead –
Continue all of the above work but start additional buildings to provide new retail businesses to the area.
Opening of Gateway Park buffer area along Rt. 1.

Two to six month look-ahead –
Start residential/parking buildings.
Start interior fit-out of Whole Foods.

Old 04-15-2016, 03:09 PM

Driving by the project yesterday, I was able to see that the Whole Foods parking lot is finally taking shape. The islands have been formed and the parking lot light poles are up. The foundation for the asphalt is laid.

Concrete steps from the Gateway Park on Rt 1. up to the Whole Foods parking lot are being formed.

The foundations of the additional buildings have been laid and those buildings should start to rise soon.

I'll see if I can't grab some photos this weekend.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:40 PM

Long awaited retail announcements for Riverdale Park Station, for me at least. Three new tenants have signed leases for the project.

1. Burton's Bar & Grill

This appears to be a national chain (East Coast at least). It looks to be a pretty swanky place. Definitely upscale. I took a look at the prices from their Alexandria menu. Not your average Outback Steak House. It would certainly fit in at National Harbor and of course Alexandria where one already exists.

The only caveat is that the owner of Franklins is opening up a steak and seafood restaurant at the UMD Hotel that is supposed to be a little more upscale than Franklins. A celebrity chef is opening up another upscale restaurant at the same hotel. And under the new Cambria Suites hotel, there will be another "upscale" steak and seafood restaurant. Too much too soon? Can this market handle all these new upscale grill & bars opening up with a year of each other? That's 4 new steak and seafood restaurants within 2 miles of each other. And there are still more retail spots available at Riverdale Park station. Time will tell. I do welcome the offerings. The foodie in me may be able to spend more time at home for once.

This takes the place of Founding Farmers. I'm content now.

Pretty good reviews on Yelp:

Burtons Grill and Bar - 20 Photos - Diners - 6450 Old Beulah St - Alexandria, VA - Reviews - Yelp

A photo of what one looks like on the inside.

2. Comcast

Really? over 4,500 sqft for a cable company? Uhhh. Especially when people are cutting the cord? I guess they would be good for internet, but a storefront? Meh. I think this will be temporary. I don't know what to make of this lease. Just seems odd. I'd understand a Verizon or AT&T store at half the square footage. Oh well.

3. Jersey Mikes

I get it. Jimmy Johns owns the Rt. 1 corridor from Hyattsville to College Park. In addition to Safeway. Nothing wrong with a little competition. I like Jersey Mikes anyway.

http://www.globest.com/sites/erikamo...20160318151625

Old 04-18-2016, 05:45 PM

340 posts, read 372,188 times
Besides Burtons, the other two are disappointing. Even Burtons, I still wish it was going to be more of a local chain like Founding Farmers, Ted's Bulletin, Hanks Oyster Bar, (emphasis on "like" for the next 2) Bus Boys or Pizza Paradiso. I'm ok with Burtons, I just feel there are much better targets that would or should consider

Jersey Mikes much like the selection of Pollo Campero for UTC, its a let down for me. Taylor Gourmet for example would have been a great get here instead of Jersey Mikes. Great fast casual, preferably local, to add to Nandos, Bobby Burger Palace, Blaze, Sweetgreen that are already showing success in the area is feasible. Cava Grill. &Pizza. District Taco. Chopt. Good Stuff Eatery...would all be reasonable gets. These places are clearly growing local favorites, opening a new location almost every couple of months but despite growth in the area continue to pass on the development in PG.

So far the tenants aren't on par with what I think of typically for a Whole Foods based development.

Old 04-18-2016, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Besides Burtons, the other two are disappointing. Even Burtons, I still wish it was going to be more of a local chain like Founding Farmers, Ted's Bulletin, Hanks Oyster Bar, (emphasis on "like" for the next 2) Bus Boys or Pizza Paradiso. I'm ok with Burtons, I just feel there are much better targets that would or should consider

Jersey Mikes much like the selection of Pollo Campero for UTC, its a let down for me. Taylor Gourmet for example would have been a great get here instead of Jersey Mikes. Great fast casual, preferably local, to add to Nandos, Bobby Burger Palace, Blaze, Sweetgreen that are already showing success in the area is feasible. Cava Grill. &Pizza. District Taco. Chopt. Good Stuff Eatery...would all be reasonable gets. These places are clearly growing local favorites, opening a new location almost every couple of months but despite growth in the area continue to pass on the development in PG.

So far the tenants aren't on par with what I think of typically for a Whole Foods based development.

Habit Burger and Bella Spa are two stores that can both be found at the sister Whole Foods development in Loudoun County (Belmont Chase).

Perhaps Cava Mezze grill will sign. THere are still plenty of retail spots open.

Here is the retail mix from a similar Project in Ashburn called Belmont Chase. Not exactly Bethesda or Chevy Chase caliber retail either. They do have Cava Mezze Grill and Cooper's Hawk which would be comparable to Burton's as far as being white tablecloth. I don't even think there is an 11,000 sqft space for a restaurant in Riverdale Park Station.

001 WHOLE FOODS 40,000 SF
04A IRONSTONE JAPANESE FUSION RESTAURANT 4,500 SF
04B AVAILABLE 4,300 SF
06A MOD PIZZA 2,700 SF
06B HABIT BURGER 2,700 SF
200 BELLA BEACH SPA 2,500 SF
220 PR FRESH LOOK STORE 2,000 SF
240 PETCO UNLEASHED 4,360 SF
250 PEET’S COFFEE & TEA 2,025 SF
300 PAZZO POMODORO 2,793 SF
305 VISUAL HEALTH 1,093 SF
310 FLOYD’S BARBERSHOP 1,093 SF
320 BELMONT CLEANERS 1,153 SF
330 CHIPOTLE 2,400 SF
340 PURE BARRE 1,500 SF
350 SOLIDCORE 2,268 SF
360 CAVA MEZZE GRILL 2,360 SF
500 COOPER’S HAWK 11,000 S

http://www.regencycenters.com/upload...361450_pdf.pdf

Old 04-19-2016, 09:51 AM

Lobby floor layout of the new Hotel at UMD.

No square footage numbers though.

http://www.thehotelumd.com/conference-center/

Old 04-21-2016, 10:18 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,638,692 times
Now that the liquor bill providing for seven licensed restaurants at Riverdale has passed, they should be rolling out announcements of new tenants pronto.

When a similar bill for Laurel passed in 2014, they were out the gate with their announcements in a few weeks. Since the developers have to ask for these bills Riverdale can hardly say they were surprised by it. They have had plenty of time to prepare.

If there are not a bunch of new restaurant announcements by June 30, I'd say they are in big trouble.

http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/2016RS/bills/hb/hb1311t.pdf

Also, Comcast is rebranding as Xfinity.

Old 04-26-2016, 09:26 PM

Default Riverdale Park Station Construction Update

Noticeable updates in bold.

Quote:
During the next two weeks the General Contractor, L.F. Jennings, will continue site construction including underground utility work to install storm drains, water mains, electric conduits and site lighting in multiple areas on the site. Washington Gas Light (WGL) and PEPCO continue to bring service to each new building.

Installation of curb and gutter around the entire west side of the site is nearing completion. The traffic signal at Van Buren Street and Route 1 is the property of the State and will most likely be placed into operation just prior to Riverdale Park Station opening. The parking lot in front of the Whole Foods Market has been paved with pervious asphalt and the first course of paving around the Whole Foods Market has been completed. Trees and shrubs have been planted in the Whole Foods Market parking lot islands. The final asphalt top course and striping will be completed later this spring. Construction of screen walls, seat walls, sign walls, sidewalks, light pole bases and other site hardscape structures in Gateway Park (buffer area adjacent to Route 1) is finishing south of Van Buren Street and ongoing to the north. Bio-soil storm water retention devices are being installed throughout the site as required. Landscaping is scheduled to start on the South portion of Gateway Park. The grating that constitutes part of the walkways is being field measured and ordered.

The construction of a large permanent storm water management pond in the NE corner of the site is finishing. Soon, rip-rap channels will be installed in the pond bottom and it will be placed into operation. The rip-rap channel exiting the pond outfall to the culvert under CSX tracks is finished.

• Two week to two month look-ahead –
o Continue all of the above work but start additional buildings to provide new retail businesses to the area.
o Opening of Gateway Park buffer area along Rt. 1.

• Two to six month look-ahead –
o Start a residential/parking building.
o Start interior fit-out of Whole Foods.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:25 AM

New work detail has me drive past the Riverdale Park site pretty much every evening now. The first buildings finally have ELECTRICTY! All the buildings were lit up last night, including the parking lot lights for Whole Foods.

Getting closer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland