Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2018, 08:39 AM

662 posts, read 783,172 times

Advertisements

“The hot markets in Prince George’s County are around Hyattsville, Riverdale and University Park, which have public amenities, transportation and density that make them walkable,” says Nela Richardson, chief economist of Redfin real estate brokerage in Washington. “In Montgomery County, the hot spots are in Rockville and Silver Spring near the Metro stations. There’s also more development around the Wheaton Metro station.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...=.3cb69c2a96b5
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 09:06 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
“The hot markets in Prince George’s County are around Hyattsville, Riverdale and University Park, which have public amenities, transportation and density that make them walkable,” says Nela Richardson, chief economist of Redfin real estate brokerage in Washington. “In Montgomery County, the hot spots are in Rockville and Silver Spring near the Metro stations. There’s also more development around the Wheaton Metro station.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/reale...=.3cb69c2a96b5
I think Wheaton will become denser and will rival Downtown Silver Spring in density and amenities. The framework is there. I see a lot of the remaining strip centers in Wheaton getting redeveloped into apartment/condo/office towers.

RT. 1 is shaping up to be another bedroom corridor. The only hope for daytime density is the Discovery District and M-Square. There needs to be a 40/60 office/residential ratio for the Route 1 corridor to be as vibrant as downtown Silver Spring. Although Silver SPring is losing a ton of daytime traffic with the Discovery move.

It is still disheartening to visit downtown College Park in the summer when the students have left and see empty restaurants and storefronts.

On the bright side, there have been several recent announcements about white collar jobs coming to College Park in the near future. I would like to see a few fifteen-story office buildings along Route 1 though. There are still a few lots that could accommodate an office building of that size.

PS. THe College Park City Hall project is a positive. There will be UMD offices there.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:08 PM

340 posts, read 376,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think Wheaton will become denser and will rival Downtown Silver Spring in density and amenities. The framework is there. I see a lot of the remaining strip centers in Wheaton getting redeveloped into apartment/condo/office towers.

RT. 1 is shaping up to be another bedroom corridor. The only hope for daytime density is the Discovery District and M-Square. There needs to be a 40/60 office/residential ratio for the Route 1 corridor to be as vibrant as downtown Silver Spring. Although Silver SPring is losing a ton of daytime traffic with the Discovery move.

It is still disheartening to visit downtown College Park in the summer when the students have left and see empty restaurants and storefronts.

On the bright side, there have been several recent announcements about white collar jobs coming to College Park in the near future. I would like to see a few fifteen-story office buildings along Route 1 though. There are still a few lots that could accommodate an office building of that size.

PS. THe College Park City Hall project is a positive. There will be UMD offices there.
Have to be very careful about planing a 15 story office building along Route 1 imo. I wouldn't want a 15 story building casting a permanent shadow over my home and almost all of the side streets off campus are residential. I think sites just off of Route 1 are going to be better, like the current plan in the Discovery District, and possibly the Greenbelt FBI site. Otherwise, away from Campus I think low lying mostly street level businesses are appropriate.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Have to be very careful about planing a 15 story office building along Route 1 imo. I wouldn't want a 15 story building casting a permanent shadow over my home and almost all of the side streets off campus are residential. I think sites just off of Route 1 are going to be better, like the current plan in the Discovery District, and possibly the Greenbelt FBI site. Otherwise, away from Campus I think low lying mostly street level businesses are appropriate.
I was thinking of mainly the West side of Rt. 1. where the second phase of University View was supposed to be built. The Campus Village Shoppes center is already adjacent to apartment towers. I think it is far enough away from SFHs not to cast a shadow. The College Park shopping center could handle 10-15 stories without casting a shadow on SFHs. The office buildings don't have to be 15 stories. Even 10 would be fine. Just something to increase the daily foot traffic in the "off-season."

I think buildings at the hight of the new UMD Hotel would be fine. I think Bethesda has pretty low heights for their office buildings. Something along those lines.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:15 PM

36 posts, read 36,494 times
Denizens Brewing Company

https://riverdaleparkstation.blogspo...riverdale.html

Old 04-13-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDReInfo View Post
Route 1. Brewer's Alley. Has a nice ring to it.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:14 PM

282 posts, read 322,583 times
Seriously when is there going to be a brewery opening in CP?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:18 PM

340 posts, read 376,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDReInfo View Post
Vent coming....

I'll start by saying that I'm all about local business, I'm sure this brewery will be awesome.

But I'm not very excited to see it come here. RPS townhouse residents probably will like the walkability to this location, but generally within 1.5 mile Route 1 has Franklins, Streetcar, and Maryland Meadworks, plus a great craft beer spot in the Town Center. I live in a SFH and this will be the closest for me too, in fact, I walk to Gold's and WF multiple times a week. I could care less about the walk, I'd like more variety. Particularly retail, but heck I can't find a place to get some Jack Daniels and watch a basketball game in the same span on Route 1 if I tried. We've already complained that RPS isn't landing anything but restaurants which this is basically another restaurant. But this one isn't all that it can be...the Denizen's in Silver Spring looks really fun, I'd be more excited if this were going to have a beer garden like that one, at least it's more experience driven then, but they are going into 4C which is the biggest lot remaining in the entire development and has no outdoor space. There just should be more ideal planning for stuff like this...FedEx has a great outdoor space beside it and on the roof, let's make copies on the patio and tape packages on the roof!!! 4H looks like it might have some nice rooftop space too...they'll probably lease that spot to CVS employees can go up there for a smoke break. How cool would it have been for Gold's to have an outdoor training area on the roof? Nope, rooftop CVS smoke breaks and Fedex Patio Copies. This should be in 1A/1B (yup, I still can't understand how they let that Fedex go there).

Old 04-13-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Vent coming....

I'll start by saying that I'm all about local business, I'm sure this brewery will be awesome.

But I'm not very excited to see it come here. RPS townhouse residents probably will like the walkability to this location, but generally within 1.5 mile Route 1 has Franklins, Streetcar, and Maryland Meadworks, plus a great craft beer spot in the Town Center. I live in a SFH and this will be the closest for me too, in fact, I walk to Gold's and WF multiple times a week. I could care less about the walk, I'd like more variety. Particularly retail, but heck I can't find a place to get some Jack Daniels and watch a basketball game in the same span on Route 1 if I tried. We've already complained that RPS isn't landing anything but restaurants which this is basically another restaurant. But this one isn't all that it can be...the Denizen's in Silver Spring looks really fun, I'd be more excited if this were going to have a beer garden like that one, at least it's more experience driven then, but they are going into 4C which is the biggest lot remaining in the entire development and has no outdoor space. There just should be more ideal planning for stuff like this...FedEx has a great outdoor space beside it and on the roof, let's make copies on the patio and tape packages on the roof!!! 4H looks like it might have some nice rooftop space too...they'll probably lease that spot to CVS employees can go up there for a smoke break. How cool would it have been for Gold's to have an outdoor training area on the roof? Nope, rooftop CVS smoke breaks and Fedex Patio Copies. This should be in 1A/1B (yup, I still can't understand how they let that Fedex go there).
Food retail is usually what these new town centers attract. THere's always the grocery anchor, then you have your requisite Starbucks. Followed by a string of fast-casual restaurants and maybe two good sit-down restaurants. Other retail space gets your dry cleaners, convenience store, and maybe a cell phone retailer or in this case, FedEx.

The Hotel should bring a nice mix with a steady flow of people who wouldn't otherwise visit RPS. But there will be another restaurant on the ground level adding to the other restaurants.

Unfortunately, there are not very many retailers other than food retailers that would locate in a place like RPS. I doubt there will be any clothiers. It's just unfortunate that Denizens didn't get the FedEx spot. But apparently, they needed a lot of space for their tanks. Meh. At least it's not another Chipotle.

I wouldn't mind something like a Crate and Barrel or an Arhaus - Restoration Hardware? THere are tons of new residences being built in the area. It would make sense to have at least one high-end furniture store other than Bob's Discount Furniture and Ikea.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:41 PM

662 posts, read 783,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Food retail is usually what these new town centers attract. THere's always the grocery anchor, then you have your requisite Starbucks. Followed by a string of fast-casual restaurants and maybe two good sit-down restaurants. Other retail space gets your dry cleaners, convenience store, and maybe a cell phone retailer or in this case, FedEx.

The Hotel should bring a nice mix with a steady flow of people who wouldn't otherwise visit RPS. But there will be another restaurant on the ground level adding to the other restaurants.

Unfortunately, there are not very many retailers other than food retailers that would locate in a place like RPS. I doubt there will be any clothiers. It's just unfortunate that Denizens didn't get the FedEx spot. But apparently, they needed a lot of space for their tanks. Meh. At least it's not another Chipotle.

I wouldn't mind something like a Crate and Barrel or an Arhaus - Restoration Hardware? THere are tons of new residences being built in the area. It would make sense to have at least one high-end furniture store other than Bob's Discount Furniture and Ikea.

They don't even need a high end retail...they could legit put a homegoods there and it would do well. A RH or Arhaus is too high end imo but they desperately need a store that is a destination.

That FedEx is a fedex office which I guess they sell as potential coworking space? While it was convenient for me to get a package you all are right...it's such a cute spot. It's too cute for a FedEx. FedEx should be next to the darn Verizon or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland