Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2015, 04:10 PM

14 posts, read 29,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Huh? How does PG pay more than "everyone else around us?" .

Read the article that was linked in the first post. If you don't believe the story, I guess you'll have to take that up with Washington Post reporter Hernandez!

Quote:
PG spends the least amount of money per student in the DC area, by a lot...and it shows. God forbid that gap be closed a bit. If you think funding has no impact on results then you're just oblivious to reality.

I guess I'm just delusional too. My delusion led me to google, and I post the first link here. It took a matter of seconds.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publicati...ntability-does
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2015, 08:03 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,690,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pud_Kaplan View Post
Read the article that was linked in the first post. If you don't believe the story, I guess you'll have to take that up with Washington Post reporter Hernandez!

I guess I'm just delusional too. My delusion led me to google, and I post the first link here. It took a matter of seconds.

https://www.stlouisfed.org/publicati...ntability-does
I have no idea where "Hancock Place" is, but I don't believe it's relevant to this conversation. If you think it's a coincidence that PG spends the least of DC jurisdictions and also lags behind all of those other jurisdictions, then go right ahead. You're entitled to think that, just like I'm entitled to think you lack basic common sense.

Old 06-05-2015, 10:06 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,988,162 times
Quote:
Huh? How does PG pay more than "everyone else around us?" PG spends the least amount of money per student in the DC area, by a lot...and it shows. God forbid that gap be closed a bit. If you think funding has no impact on results then you're just oblivious to reality.
Why do we have so many people in this section who states things that are 100% false and try to convince people that some random statement that they made up is true.

This is not true:
Class sizes, teacher salaries and per-student spending: How D.C.-area schools stack up - The Washington Post

PG spends more money per students than the following places:

Loudoun, yes Loudoun
Manassas City
Manassas Park
Prince William County

PG basically ranks in the middle of the pack for our region.

Old 06-05-2015, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Why do we have so many people in this section who states things that are 100% false and try to convince people that some random statement that they made up is true.

This is not true:
Class sizes, teacher salaries and per-student spending: How D.C.-area schools stack up - The Washington Post

PG spends more money per students than the following places:

Loudoun, yes Loudoun
Manassas City
Manassas Park
Prince William County

PG basically ranks in the middle of the pack for our region.
I clearly say DC area. Of course there are exurban counties in the region, but obviously they aren't even remotely comparable to PG/MoCo/DC/Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax. Don't be silly.

Old 06-06-2015, 12:08 PM

14 posts, read 29,104 times
Quote:
I'm entitled to think you lack basic common sense.

Nice ad hom! Decent people don't resort to that sort of thing, you know.

The other poster gave you evidence of our school funding compared to that of surrounding communities, and for all our funding, we get the worst results.

I admit that it's kind of moot: the 4% increase will go directly to the teachers pensions, not increased investment in the students. You see, you can underfund or use the money that is supposed to go to the pensions, and having used it up, you can say, "b-but don't you want the teachers to have their PENSIONS?"

The current solution to all problems in PG is to ask for more money from those who have the temerity to own property. The result is we have less money to use for our own purposes or reinvest into our homes and communities the way we see fit.

I'm not saying "vote Republican" necessarily. I am saying vote the current guys out. They don't have any competition because the voters are giving them far too much unearned loyalty. I have been unaffiliated for 20 years. Consider other candidates, because if you don't, they will think it fine to raise it each and every year until all of their wildest and most wasteful dreams come true.

Old 06-06-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
I clearly say DC area. Of course there are exurban counties in the region, but obviously they aren't even remotely comparable to PG/MoCo/DC/Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax. Don't be silly.
They are the DC area, which is why the Washington Post included them. The DC area is defined by what bufflove thinks it is.

Old 06-06-2015, 07:15 PM

Quote:
They are the DC area, which is why the Washington Post included them. The DC area is defined by what bufflove thinks it is.
If you don't want to have a serious conversation and compare apples to apples then that's fine, but don't pretend like you've made a legitimate point by citing a link that clearly supports my claim that PG spends the least of any of the beltway jurisdictions (there, is that less ambiguous than "DC area"?). You know full well what the intent of my statement was and it's factually sound. Prince William County and Manassas? That's what you're hanging your hat on? Come on.

Old 06-06-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
If you don't want to have a serious conversation and compare apples to apples then that's fine, but don't pretend like you've made a legitimate point by citing a link that clearly supports my claim that PG spends the least of any of the beltway jurisdictions (there, is that less ambiguous than "DC area"?). You know full well what the intent of my statement was and it's factually sound. Prince William County and Manassas? That's what you're hanging your hat on? Come on.
Is the DC area based on what you define it as? I didn't realize you get to define it.

Old 06-06-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Is the DC area based on what you define it as? I didn't realize you get to define it.
Did you even read my reply? Or do you just come here to hear yourself repeat the same thing over again? Whatever, goodbye. It's not even a debate that PG's funding is low, compared to its actual peers in the immediate DC area. That's just common knowledge and supported by clear data that's readily available. If you want to pretend PG's actual peer is Prince William County(??!!!) and not DC/MoCo/Fairfax/Alexandria/Arlington then go right ahead and live in la-la land. I'm guessing you're not from around here if you actually think that.

Last edited by bufflove; 06-06-2015 at 10:57 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Did you even read my reply? Or do you just come here to hear yourself repeat the same thing over again? Whatever, goodbye. It's not even a debate that PG's funding is low, compared to its actual peers in the immediate DC area. That's just common knowledge and supported by clear data that's readily available. If you want to pretend PG's actual peer is Prince William County(??!!!) and not DC/MoCo/Fairfax/Alexandria/Arlington then go right ahead and live in la-la land. I'm guessing you're not from around here if you actually think that.
You continue to avoid the question.

Fairfax is included on your list but it's the one you have on your list that doesn't even touch DC, so what makes it any different than a place like Loudoun?

But even still there is no correlation between money spent and performance. If you look at school systems like Manassas, Manassas Park and PWC, the population is very unique and services are required there. There are many ESOL students, and low income just go name a few. The only real difference is that school districts are a lot smaller. I think even why we argue this point we should be wondering where the proof that this even helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland