Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 PM

45,343 posts, read 60,522,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
and did u feel that way about the students? If so their is your problem. Luckily for me I had teachers who if someone made that remark they would let the person know that they enjoyed teaching their students and watching them grow.

I don't remember saying I had a problem. No I didn't, defended my job choice.

You probably don't know what your teachers thought or did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,981,396 times
Quote:
and did u feel that way about the students? If so their is your problem. Luckily for me I had teachers who if someone made that remark they would let the person know that they enjoyed teaching their students and watching them grow.
Wow you're kind of making a huge assumption aren't you?

Old 06-09-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
The black population in PG county graduate rate is close to 80 percent, which is actually higher than the overall Graduation rate in PG
Especially in modern times, graduating from high school isn't really an accomplishment. How many of these individuals go on to graduate from college and/or are gainfully employed is a much more valuable measure of things. With that said, it still doesn't change the point that is being made. Are you arguing that because the graduate rate is a certain percentage than black families care? I think there are certainly black families that definitely value education, but attendance at Parent/Teacher Conferences, at Honor Roll Ceremonies, at School Board Meetings, and PTA meetings really speak volumes of the value of education. I actually personally know one of the former County PTA Council's Presidents and we had conversations about his initiatives to increase parental involvement. But it won't change if people don't think it's an issue...

Old 06-09-2015, 11:05 PM

22 posts, read 29,915 times
Quote:
The black population in PG county graduate rate is close to 80 percent, which is actually higher than the overall Graduation rate in PG
Is that an adequate number? What about the other 20%? Are you really content with the performance levels and poorly ranked schools? That's the type of attitude hurting this county.

Old 06-10-2015, 09:48 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
While we support many of the concepts in this school system’s strategic plan, we have collectively determined that [Baker’s proposals] . . . are not affordable for county taxpayers,” Franklin said.
In most jurisdictions in the country, this statement alone would cause near rioting by concerned parents. But in PG County? LOL Education took a backseat a long time ago to single-parent households, chronic crime, poverty, welfare, unemployment, etc. PG has chosen to put the worthless leeches ahead of education.

Par for the course! And PG will continue to circle the drain because of it! LOL

Old 06-10-2015, 09:53 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think some people feel that you can turn ships on a dime. The last I heard, when Maxwell took office, it was said it would take 5 years to turn the school system around. That was before Hogan was elected and decided to hold back education funds.

We should know by now that proposals or initiatives last as long as those who support them are in office and as long as funding is available. Just like everyone thought the Purple Line was a slam dunk. Then Hogan happened.

I'm not saying that this administration is infallible. But from where I sit, this county is doing better than it was under Johnson. And to be fair, if there were decades of dysfunction, I would expect the same length of time to correct it. who knows if the executive after Rashern Baker doesn't take us backward?

The important question is, are we going forward? Or backward? As long as we are going forward, I don't care how long it takes. Progress is progress whether it is fast or slow. Maybe too slow for some.

When you have a major housing crises affect the main revenue source in a county. And also a decades old law that held property taxes stable for such a long time, coupled with stagnating wages for the past 30 years, how else can you raise the money? Something has to give to fill the shortfall caused not by the county, but by Hogan and those who feel that the government should spend less.

Someone show me a better alternative. And I don't want to hear about business revenue. Because that takes decades to build and doesn't solve the county's immediate need.
In your first sentence you just couldn't resist in engaging in intellectual dishonesty, huh?

Didn't read the rest of your post because you started off with a blatant falsehood. The FACT of the matter is that Maryland schools have been funded at HISTORICAL levels under Larry Hogan. Just because he opted not to dispense EXTRA funding the schools NEVER had doesn't mean that he has undercut school funding, as your post explicitly implies!

When you stop lying, we'll take you seriously.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:09 PM

469 posts, read 549,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artnature82 View Post
Is that an adequate number? What about the other 20%? Are you really content with the performance levels and poorly ranked schools? That's the type of attitude hurting this county.
LOL, 80 percent is the national average, and is around the average for the State of MD overall, what are u talking about? I'm just pointing out facts. Just because they dont fit your "PG is horrible" mindset doesn't mean the facts shouldn't be pointed out. All I hear is how "black and poor" PG county is, well 80 percent gradation rate for a bunch of black & poor people aint too shabby

Old 06-10-2015, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
Especially in modern times, graduating from high school isn't really an accomplishment. How many of these individuals go on to graduate from college and/or are gainfully employed is a much more valuable measure of things. With that said, it still doesn't change the point that is being made. Are you arguing that because the graduate rate is a certain percentage than black families care? I think there are certainly black families that definitely value education, but attendance at Parent/Teacher Conferences, at Honor Roll Ceremonies, at School Board Meetings, and PTA meetings really speak volumes of the value of education. I actually personally know one of the former County PTA Council's Presidents and we had conversations about his initiatives to increase parental involvement. But it won't change if people don't think it's an issue...
So we should ignore stats that are accurate and and positive because they dont fit your narrative? You can want more progress without exaggerating how horrible the school system is. You want quality teachers and affluent parents. But who would move here and or teach here if all they hear is how HORRIBLE the school system is. What does that do to the students psyche as well? How does that motivate them to constantly hear from people like you how horrible they are, and how horrible the teachers are?

Old 06-10-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I don't remember saying I had a problem. No I didn't, defended my job choice.

You probably don't know what your teachers thought or did.
No I did know, because over a decade later I can drop by their houses unannounced. Thats the impact and bond I made with several of my teachers. Your Non response to that person statement is much more telling that anything you could have said. Like I said I'm glad my teachers didn't have your mindset, and once again if people in this thread are looking the "problem" in PG county schools look no further

Old 06-10-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
So we should ignore stats that are accurate and and positive because they dont fit your narrative? You can want more progress without exaggerating how horrible the school system is. You want quality teachers and affluent parents. But who would move here and or teach here if all they hear is how HORRIBLE the school system is. What does that do to the students psyche as well? How does that motivate them to constantly hear from people like you how horrible they are, and how horrible the teachers are?
No not at all, I'm not ignoring the statistics, I just don't think it tells anything about success. It's like getting a medal for coming to a marathon. You haven't finished the marathon, you just got started.

Never commented on the quality of the school system. Focus, calm down, and focus on what I am actually saying.

If it was true, that the school system is bad, are you suggesting that people should lie about the quality so that people will still come? That's like your best friend asking you if she is fat and you lie to her, tell her she's not hoping that people won't see what you actually see. Doesn't change the reality.

So when did I say the schools were bad in this conversation? When did I say the teachers are bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland