Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 AM

196 posts, read 205,806 times

Advertisements

Can we say Woodrow Wilson Bridge project is successful? I see a lot of traffic congestion in rush hour, I know its much much better than what it used to be before but i'm thinking may be in 5-10 years we will be back again to the same nightmare.
What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:36 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,886,950 times
From what I remember about the old bridge....people are seemingly afraid to drive over bridges. Watch them all hit their brakes when driving near one. I don't care if it is a the Bay Bridge, Wilson bridge, American Legion bridge or the 301 bridge. The same goes for tunnels. They both go straight, have no turns and the speed limits are the same as the normal highway. The trouble is with human nature.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
From what I remember about the old bridge....people are seemingly afraid to drive over bridges. Watch them all hit their brakes when driving near one. I don't care if it is a the Bay Bridge, Wilson bridge, American Legion bridge or the 301 bridge. The same goes for tunnels. They both go straight, have no turns and the speed limits are the same as the normal highway. The trouble is with human nature.
That can be one additional factor but there are multiple ramps merging to 495 right before the bridge, I believe this is the main issue here at WWB.
As the surrounding get developed this will be a real challenge for WWB users.

Last edited by Sampg1; 06-30-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-30-2015, 03:52 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,866,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
So true. Same with tunnels. You have to design a bridge twice as wide as the roads leading to it in order to maintain speeds. In most cases, lanes narrow over bridges, so it's very rare for traffic to maintain speed across bridges even though the number of lanes remains the same. When the traffic slows as it approaches and cross the bridge, it will eventually trigger a backup into the main lanes of the freeway.

From what I have heard, the traffic on that part of the beltway it still much better than it was prior to the new bridges. I just wish they would do something with the stretch of beltway between College Park and Silver Spring. The Purple line can't come fast enough!

Old 06-30-2015, 04:48 PM

673 posts, read 1,185,900 times
Eventually there going to need to create an outer ring beltway.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:48 AM

2,768 posts, read 3,526,446 times
The bridge is a bit of an incline too. People don't realize but small things like small hills can have a big ripple effect on traffic.

I would say that it's successful because it's free flowing both directions the vast majority of the time. And during rush hour, it's only bad going into VA in the mornings and out to MD in the evenings. It's unreasonable to expect that there never be traffic on a major freeway in a city of 5 million. We need to better manage the capacity we already have. Maybe convert an existing lane into an HOV/HOT lane.

Old 07-01-2015, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomason View Post
We need to better manage the capacity we already have. Maybe convert an existing lane into an HOV/HOT lane.

Old 07-02-2015, 08:49 AM

341 posts, read 423,491 times
Thank God it's there. Of course, should have also incorporated a rail crossing...

Old 07-03-2015, 05:23 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,543,440 times
Without question, I haven't seen a true back up on or near the bridge since the project was completed. I actually thought this was a rhetorical question from the OP.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:40 AM

673 posts, read 1,185,900 times
WMATA should look into extending the metro across the Potomac underneath the Woodrow Wilson to provide access to National Harbor. I'm sure it would see tons more development if created.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland