Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,928,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually the White and Black populations in Charles are about even now. The school system has been majority minority for several years.

Crime stats are harder to winkle out, but looking at the various law enforcement agency press releases from all three Counties (and I have access to more in depth reports in Calvert), and not just Charles, indicate that the opioid issue isn't limited or concentrated in either group as far as arrest numbers go. Per capita is different with a higher arrest rate for Blacks.

Robberies in Charles and northern St. Mary's tend Black, not so much in the rest of the County or Calvert.

While people in other threads tout gentrification in DC you're seeing the results of that gentrification in Prince George's and Charles.

I agree with this- bottom line the drug/crime problem in Charles/Southern Maryland is a "Southern Maryland" problem- not a black/white/latino issue- Once we realize this and stop playing the blame game or the race card, hopefully something can be done about it-

But burying your head in the sand or saying it's not a problem, or it's not as bad as PG/DC/VA etc- thats never going to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 01:07 PM

789 posts, read 1,090,296 times
Or worse. Simply shifting the blame onto, and I quote "more blacks are moving into Waldorf/Charles County which means more crime" is pant-on-head stupid.

It's a societal problem. If any other group was/is as systematically discriminated against as much as blacks in this country, we'd be placing the same exact label on them. But no, we focus on the color of one's skin rather than a person as themselves.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:51 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,379,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Or worse. Simply shifting the blame onto, and I quote "more blacks are moving into Waldorf/Charles County which means more crime" is pant-on-head stupid.

It's a societal problem. If any other group was/is as systematically discriminated against as much as blacks in this country, we'd be placing the same exact label on them. But no, we focus on the color of one's skin rather than a person as themselves.
Look you can whine about the reasons why. Also the blacks moving in Charles are overwhelmingly middle class so how have they been oppressed? Either way I stand by what I say.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool rob View Post
No offense but you sound like you have a lot of self hate bro- there are more whites than blacks in charles county, yet all you hear about and choose to focus on are the crimes blacks commit- as if whites just don't do that sort of thing, you should open your eyes
No offense taken. I don't hate myself & I don't view myself as belonging to the African-American cultural group. So calling out their dysfunction doesn't really diminish the group that I identify with. Besides facts are facts.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:54 AM

219 posts, read 593,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
More blacks are moving into Waldorf/Charles County which means more crime and a deteriorating school environment. As some have noted there has been a recent spat of shootings, mostly domestic but still. I live in a nicer part of Waldorf and although it's ok I see the signs of deterioration creeping in. Teenagers roaming about with no real aim, arguments at the grocery stores. Small stuff but these things tend to snowball. The Indian guy at Popeyes was so shocked that I said thank you to him. It started him on a rant about how people have gotten nastier in the 9 years since he worked there. I knew what he meant.

From a purely investment standpoint, I'd pass. The appreciation just won't be there.

This statement is racist and offensive. There are plenty of Blacks/African-Americans that have moved to Waldorf that are upper-middle class, hard-working, professional individuals. To make such a generalized statement as "more blacks are moving into Waldorf....." is offensive. I know plenty that have moved there and none of them have ever been involved in criminal activity.

A lot of Africans and Blacks with African parentage (as you mentioned), that I have encountered, do not identify as African-American/Black so some of them (not all of them) have a mentality that they are "better" or more superior, so I am not surprised by your racist comment.

Just remember, at the end of the day, you are still looked at by white people as Black because of the color of your skin. Trust me, the white people in Waldorf and Southern Maryland do not want to see you there either

Also, if you have children, or when you have children, I hope they do not get discriminated against in Waldorf due to someone else with your type of thinking...

Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothGuy View Post
This statement is racist and offensive. There are plenty of Blacks/African-Americans that have moved to Waldorf that are upper-middle class, hard-working, professional individuals. To make such a generalized statement as "more blacks are moving into Waldorf....." is offensive. I know plenty that have moved there and none of them have ever been involved in criminal activity.

A lot of Africans and Blacks with African parentage (as you mentioned), that I have encountered, do not identify as African-American/Black so some of them (not all of them) have a mentality that they are "better" or more superior, so I am not surprised by your racist comment.

Just remember, at the end of the day, you are still looked at by white people as Black because of the color of your skin. Trust me, the white people in Waldorf and Southern Maryland do not want to see you there either

Also, if you have children, or when you have children, I hope they do not get discriminated against in Waldorf due to someone else with your type of thinking...
How white people view me is of no consequence of how I view myself. I don't want to deflect from the purpose of the thread. The OP asked for our opinions about the potential of Waldorf. I personally think it'll end up like PG County, because of the influx of blacks. I maybe right, I maybe wrong time will tell.

The school district is already falling in the statewide rankings.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:04 PM

18,579 posts, read 10,579,173 times
Face the facts ,over the last five years home values in Charles county (just not Waldorf) have gone down while the crime rate has gone up,this coincides with people leaving DC and PG to find cheaper homes it all so match's how the school system is getting worse and worse .You poster's are grown up's for the most part you figure it out.

Old 10-25-2015, 04:04 AM

377 posts, read 663,767 times
You guys have problems. And I mean all of you.

Old 10-25-2015, 06:34 AM

18,579 posts, read 10,579,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast GTO View Post
You guys have problems. And I mean all of you.
Nice retort but explain please?

Old 10-26-2015, 09:49 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,928,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Face the facts ,over the last five years home values in Charles county (just not Waldorf) have gone down while the crime rate has gone up,this coincides with people leaving DC and PG to find cheaper homes it all so match's how the school system is getting worse and worse .You poster's are grown up's for the most part you figure it out.
Do you really believe that charles county's problems only began 5 years ago when blacks from PG and DC moved in? Come on the issues there go deep and are longstanding, and southern maryland have there own homegrown brand of thug as well

Secondly homes in PG county are much cheaper than charles county as well, the high taxes are the main reason anyone is moving there from PG

That thinking is the main reason why Chuck County is years behind from the top to the bottom-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland