Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 AM

789 posts, read 1,096,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm sorry in context of America the data makes both of you wrong. Race really isn't an issue here. It's culture or lack of a culture to be more accurate.
I'm sorry, but if you knew anything about American history (you know, the context of America?), you'd know that race is exactly the issue at hand. Just because it isn't actually about race at the core doesn't mean its not perceived that way and inevitably acted upon.

I mean, that honestly goes for nearly all prejudice in the world since forever. There are exceptions, but it has been the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:30 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,569,405 times
Quote:
I'm sorry in context of America the data makes both of you wrong. Race really isn't an issue here. It's culture or lack of a culture to be more accurate.
You singled out a group of people, then suggest it's not about race. There are subcultures in every race that aren't representative of the entire race. Would it be fair if someone said that you can't trust all Nigerians because there is a well-know subculture of internet fraud?

Just because there is a subculture of crime, which is evident in every race, doesn't mean that 99% of that race is involved.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:52 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
You singled out a group of people, then suggest it's not about race. There are subcultures in every race that aren't representative of the entire race. Would it be fair if someone said that you can't trust all Nigerians because there is a well-know subculture of internet fraud?

Just because there is a subculture of crime, which is evident in every race, doesn't mean that 99% of that race is involved.
The remaining criminal free portion strenuously defends the criminal portion, hence why it's a cultural problem. Also in terms of Waldorf the issue is mostly about the schools not crime. More black students means poorer test scores, means more behavioral issues. I heard there was a big fight at lackey a few weeks ago resulting in a lock down.

These are examples of a cultural problem that are not merely confined to a small subset.

Old 10-31-2015, 12:57 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,871 times
Quote:
The remaining criminal free portion strenuously defends the criminal portion, hence why it's a cultural problem. Also in terms of Waldorf the issue is mostly about the schools not crime. More black students means poorer test scores, means more behavioral issues. I heard there was a big fight at lackey a few weeks ago resulting in a lock down.

These are examples of a cultural problem that are not merely confined to a small subset.
It's not just culture, it's poverty. Poverty breeds a lot of issues, no matter if you are white or black. It's the same reason much of Africa is very poor and has issues with crime and corruption all around.

There was a news story out a few months ago in the Washington Post about an Asian restaurant in Kenya that banned all blacks after 5pm because they are too violent. At the same time I'm sure you know plenty of nice, law abiding African people who don't want to be grouped with Africans who misbehave.

Old 11-02-2015, 05:00 PM

408 posts, read 723,764 times
*sigh*

Lost track of what the thread was originally about, however... I recently moved to Waldorf (20601) found a house in a nice neighborhood for a great price. Waldorf as a whole isn't "bad"....yet*

But yeah, traffic is horrendous.

Old 11-03-2015, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackZappa301 View Post
*sigh*

Lost track of what the thread was originally about, however... I recently moved to Waldorf (20601) found a house in a nice neighborhood for a great price. Waldorf as a whole isn't "bad"....yet*

But yeah, traffic is horrendous.
Waldorf isn't bad at all really. It's just probably never going to see the price appreciation that other areas in the region enjoy because of the reasons cited. You still will be able to get nice homes for a reasonable amount near amenities.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:17 AM

311 posts, read 1,386,052 times
Quote:
Waldorf isn't bad at all really. It's just probably never going to see the price appreciation that other areas in the region enjoy because of the reasons cited. You still will be able to get nice homes for a reasonable amount near amenities.
I believe the reason there will not be much price appreciation is that the brief flirt with moving as far out in the suburbs as possible to get a good deal is now over. People are now coming to the conclusion that the nightmare commute, coupled with gas prices that skyrocket from time to time, is not worth it. If I didn't work in Southern PG county, fairly close to Charles County, I would not live out here either, as much as I enjoy doing so. The schools are much better, but even that is not a deciding factor, as private schools and group home schooling are easily available.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom21 View Post
I believe the reason there will not be much price appreciation is that the brief flirt with moving as far out in the suburbs as possible to get a good deal is now over. People are now coming to the conclusion that the nightmare commute, coupled with gas prices that skyrocket from time to time, is not worth it. If I didn't work in Southern PG county, fairly close to Charles County, I would not live out here either, as much as I enjoy doing so. The schools are much better, but even that is not a deciding factor, as private schools and group home schooling are easily available.
I agree but public schools are always a factor. Even within Southern MD, homes in areas that feed into better rated schools are valued more, everything else being equal. So homes in La Plata sell for more than new homes in Waldorf even though La Plata is further from DC.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:05 PM

311 posts, read 1,386,052 times
Quote:
I agree but public schools are always a factor. Even within Southern MD, homes in areas that feed into better rated schools are valued more, everything else being equal. So homes in La Plata sell for more than new homes in Waldorf even though La Plata is further from DC.
Homes in La Plata are generally more expensive than Waldorf but schools don't have much to do with it. In La Plata, homes are generally higher end and larger lots. When you compare apples to apples in La Plata and Waldorf, the costs are around the same. There were lots of McMansions built on tiny lots in Waldorf. Of course they will sell for less. Most town homes in Waldorf were very cheaply built in comparison to those in La Plata. La Plata houses are also more customized in their finishes as opposed to the builder grade materials used in Waldorf homes. So basically, you're paying more in LaPlata because it's actually a better house and oftentimes on a larger lot. If you don't believe it, compare new construction in both areas. The prices are basically the same for the same square footage and lot size, however Waldorf new construction is slightly higher, but not by much.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:58 PM

16 posts, read 15,233 times
I plan on moving to waldorf in a few years if and when I sell my homes. I do not really compare builders because its drywall, wood, and paint. We someone says homes in one area are cheaply built than another area. That's like saying some burgers from burger king in waldorf are different than the burger king in la plata. Its a burger. Its on all perception. You cannot choose perception. The prices from some homes are very expensive for the commute which I do not mind. The larger lot in la plata are a major deal when it comes to pricing. I would like to do at least 3 cartwheels before I'm in my neighbors yard. I'm moving out there just to be in seclusion from the urban hectic lifestyle of washington dc and its surrounding area. As far as crime goes.... stay in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland