Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2016, 05:49 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukas1973 View Post
In contrast to the U.S. in Germany all income groups shop at discount stores like Aldi or Lidl and in upscale grocery stores like Edeka or Rewe. I don't understand why so many Americans seem to think that people from different income groups have to shop in different kinds of grocery stores.
Are slick, upscale grocery stores with an internatonal flair resevered for middle class to upscale communities like Bluffton? I think all people should be able to shop at those grocery stores.

The new Lidl stores are in my opinion sleeker than a Publix and the "exotic" food specialties give the Lidl stores something like an international flair The Lidl stores are surely more upscale than Aldi stores but that doesn't make Lidl stores upscale in my opinion. They have a suitable store design for a low cost grocery chain, that's it.
Publix doesn't seem either sleek nor upscale. It seems to be just a very expensive warehouse type grocery store. The appearance of a big box discounter in Eastern Europe seems more upscale than a Publix. But from what I have heard, Publix has nice employees and outstanding customer service.
If you need a bagging service, someone who carries your bags to your car or countless shop assistants around you that will ask you whether everything is ok, than you shouldn't shop at Lidl.
I can do without the assistants. Trader Joe's has way more assistants than necessary. They actually get in your way because the stores are so small.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2016, 12:15 PM

206 posts, read 209,896 times
The College Park proposed Lidl grocery on the current Clarion Inn property is scheduled for County Planning board action on October 20th. The property was recently posted.

Old 09-25-2016, 03:40 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Oh wow "another" lower scale grocery in PG county.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I can do without the assistants. Trader Joe's has way more assistants than necessary. They actually get in your way because the stores are so small.
This is exactly the sort of ill-informed comment from you that I referenced the other day. It confirms that you don't have a clue why TJ's is heavy on employees compared to a regular grocery store or a discounter like Aldi.

You don't know/understand why they have a lot of assistants, and what would happen if they got rid of them. You have no idea what the tradeoff's are, but presume to offer them advice, and in the process demonstrate economic illiteracy.

TJ has by far the highest sales per sq ratio of any grocery chain, $1,700-1,800. That's 300% of the national average, and 50% more than #2 Whole Foods. I wonder if Tj's know anything at all about running a grocery chain? What do you think?

Old 10-07-2016, 01:10 PM

Renderings of Prince George's County Lidl sites are starting to roll in. Here is the one for Glenn Dale just outside of Bowie:

They just have sketches so far.

file:///C:/Users/crypto/Downloads/Attachment-5533.pdf

College Park Lidl renderings can be found here.

Old 10-09-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Renderings of Prince George's County Lidl sites are starting to roll in. Here is the one for Glenn Dale just outside of Bowie:

They just have sketches so far.

file:///C:/Users/crypto/Downloads/Attachment-5533.pdf

College Park Lidl renderings can be found here.
Sorry but to me they all look like Aldi's ,nothing more than large 7-11's

Old 10-09-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Sorry but to me they all look like Aldi ,nothing more than large 7-11's
Are you talking about the inside or the outside. On the outside they will look completely different. And even on the inside they will have differences. Lidl will be twice the size of Aldi. They are two totally different companies. Not sure how you can compare a full-service grocery store with a convenience store.

Not even close. If anything, Aldi look like CVS or Walgreens.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:50 PM

206 posts, read 209,896 times
Given that MOM's is a mile and a half northeast of the location and the Whole Foods will be about two miles south, we don't need a destination store here, but rather a store to serve the shopping needs of the thousands of students and others who live (or will soon live) within a mile of this location. The store will be 50% larger than the Greenbelt Coop, which probably no one considers to be a "large 7-11."

Old 10-10-2016, 04:59 AM

Quote:

Not even close. If anything, Aldi look like CVS or Walgreens.

Sorry it's the way I feel.Aldi to me just aren't good grocery store's .The stores are not aesthetically pleasing either inside or out and I find their product to be inferior.Is what they sell bad ,no, of course not but I do believe there sell a lesser grade then the Safeways' and Giants.

Old 10-10-2016, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
I do believe there sell a lesser grade then the Safeways' and Giants.
Based on what? Perception, or have you actually compared quality? Have you sampled more than one Aldi? More than one product? What products at Aldi are inferior to Safeway's?

Here is something to ponder, Trader Joe's is said to have as much cache as Whole Foods as a high-end food store. If you doubt the quality of Aldi products compared to one of the most coveted grocery stores, please read:

Six indisputable reasons Aldi is better than estranged-brother Trader Joe's

5 Reasons to Shop at Aldi Instead of Trader Joe's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland