Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 07:47 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbnyet View Post
goldenage1, do you have any recommendations on downtown SS apartment buildings? We only plan to rent for a year then most likely will buy a house later. Thank you!
Citron would be a good fit for you on the east side of the train tracks (near where most of the amenities are, e.g. the Whole Foods you mention). I have a couple of friends who love the building.

The west side of the tracks is more residential and has fewer people/petty crimes, if that's important - there are a number of newer buildings to choose from, e.g. Veridian, 1200 East-West, Bennington, etc. The Blairs - a collection of older (but renovated) high rises - is another common choice among young professionals, but be aware of the current redevelopment where a couple of new buildings are under construction. The complex is still a viable option so long as you tour ahead of time to make sure you wouldn't be facing the construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 10:31 PM

100 posts, read 122,197 times
Quote:
buckaroo17, which neighborhood did you live in? A friend of mine mentioned about the area near Whole Foods.
I think the official name is Seven Oaks, along Sligo Creek. About a mile from downtown. There are some lower-income apartments nearby, but if/when the Purple Line goes in (~ five years?), I have a feeling those apts. are going to become much more expensive.

Old 11-24-2015, 01:57 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,958,388 times
Quote:
Dear all,

I will be starting a new job at the FDA in February. I have been looking for an apartment that is safe and relatively short commute to the job, as I need to relocate first for a few months before my husband can join me. He's finishing up school. Does anyone have some good suggestions? We are both in early 30s and no kids, rent ~$2000 is acceptable to us.

Thanks in advance!
Wheaton or Silver Spring. Montgomery County is pretty safe in general. Downtown silver spring would be the nicer of the two. Rockville and Takoma Park is also an option.

Driving will be your best option for commuting, but all of these are relatively close.

Old 11-25-2015, 04:37 AM

222 posts, read 270,765 times
Just to let you know there is a shuttle bus provided by the FDA that shuttles FDA employees from downtown Silver Spring to the White Oak Campus. I believe the shuttle runs every 45 min and it will take you back to downtown silver spring. I would pick downtown silver spring out of all mentioned areas. There are several new apartment complexes in the area but it will be right at your $2,000 budget. Any of the new units will be nice and convenient to dining/shopping/metro.

Old 12-15-2015, 03:06 PM

52 posts, read 150,657 times
Wheaton (new apartments) or DownTownSilverSpring (not the Blair Towers, however). Those are your best bets for safety and proximity to FDA.

Olney, Gaithersburg, Germantown -- very far re: commute time. Plus, there are some really sketchy areas in Gaithersburg and Germantown these days. Choose carefully if you select those areas.

Rockville/"North Bethesda" -- quite a bit of new construction, not far from FDA, but pricey. You will pay on Rockville Pike/Pike & Rose/Montrose/Strathmore area.

Whatever you do, DO NOT choose White Oak (that's right, White Oak right near FDA), Briggs-Chaney (particularly anything near Castle Blvd or the ICC), or New Hampshire Avenue going east (towards Langley Park). It's cheaper, but thumbs down for safety.

Last edited by Smiley32699; 12-15-2015 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 01-03-2016, 03:02 PM

22 posts, read 25,469 times
Hi bbynet,

Welcome to the area! I would definitely look around and definitely take into consideration what you are looking for and how large/small the home needs to be, the comfort level of the landlord, schools in the area (if applicable). If you need more information inbox me. Good luck to you!

Old 01-05-2016, 07:48 PM

9 posts, read 11,360 times
Default We were looking about a year ago...

We found a nice 3br house for rent for just a little more than $2000 maybe a mile north of the FDA in white oak in an area named Homestead Estates- just north from the intersection of 650 (New Hampshire) and 29 (where the police station is ), to the east of New Hampshire- near the MLK swim center...

We have been happy with our choice- feels safe (close proximity to the police station probably helps) we get a lot of room for our rent and a large yard for the dog- with deer and Foxes wandering around.

Neighbors are nice, and we feel safe walking the dog at night around the block. I occasionally look at the crime reports in the area and it isn't bad at all here- some thefts, but not a lot...

I don't see anything for rent in our immediate area now but something for $2000 isn't way out of the norm here...

Good luck! We are happy here after almost exactly a year...

PS. When I was looking- we used zillow and trulia, and occasionally craigslist, trulia has a crime map overlay that can help give you a sense of the crime in a neighborhood.

PPS: Thanks to all the folks on here that offered advice a year ago when we were asking questions!

Last edited by Kranon; 01-05-2016 at 08:04 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 06:32 PM

7 posts, read 8,066 times
White Oak is okay as long as you don't live on Lockwood Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland