Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 10:31 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Langely Park does not need to be gentrified. They cannot keep pushing working class and lower working class citizens further and further out, away from public transportation which is exactly what gentrification would do.
There is a ton of subsidized housing in all the new apartment towers in Silver Spring. The county requires a certain amount of units to be set aside for lower income people. They are able to live in a thriving urban community with lots of restaurants, retail (and the service sector jobs they likely fill).

Don't be in such a rush to think gentrification is all bad.

Last edited by kcmo; 08-30-2017 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2017, 10:42 AM

206 posts, read 209,997 times
Various groups have been working on strategies to preserve low cost housing for a long time. See the link below.

http://wearecasa.org/wp-content/uplo...g-Report-1.pdf

Old 08-30-2017, 02:50 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times
It's tough. While I would like that area to be revitalized, that usually means there will be some people priced out. THe Langley Park international corridor is in between Silver Spring and the Rt. 1 corridor. Both Silver Spring and College Park are growing. It makes sense that they will grow toward those areas that are cheapest to build and accessible via transit.

This map says it all. The entire international corridor is at some level of risk of gentrification.

Purple Line Corridor

Old 08-30-2017, 06:24 PM

662 posts, read 782,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
There is a ton of subsidized housing in all the new apartment towers in Silver Spring. The county requires a certain amount of units to be set aside for lower income people. They are able to live in a thriving urban community with lots of restaurants, retail (and the service sector jobs they likely fill).

Don't be in such a rush to think gentrification is all bad.

There is not a 'ton' of subsidized housing in downtown silver spring and most of it is still kinda expensive and it is very restrictive and the waiting lists are very long. So that's not a viable option for many residents.

I stand by my statement that the area does not need to be gentrified in the least. There are long standing businesses within those communities. I do not live there but I frequent them occasionally. I would truly hate to see those businesses leave for hipster spots. The well off should not be the primary beneficiaries of the purple line.

Old 08-30-2017, 06:25 PM

662 posts, read 782,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Various groups have been working on strategies to preserve low cost housing for a long time. See the link below.

http://wearecasa.org/wp-content/uplo...g-Report-1.pdf
I do love the work that CASA does. They are a staple in the community.

Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,565,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
There is not a 'ton' of subsidized housing in downtown silver spring and most of it is still kinda expensive and it is very restrictive and the waiting lists are very long. So that's not a viable option for many residents.

I stand by my statement that the area does not need to be gentrified in the least. There are long standing businesses within those communities. I do not live there but I frequent them occasionally. I would truly hate to see those businesses leave for hipster spots. The well off should not be the primary beneficiaries of the purple line.
On the other hand, I think it is kind of unfair for one county to bear the burden of being the responsible one for harboring the poor and low-income because somehow other counties just can't seem to successfully fit them into their new developments.

As a result, you have a situation where a developer does not build in the county because they face lesser regulations to provide affordable housing in neighboring counties. Or, the county bends toward the developers because their county has blocks and blocks of aging retail and housing stock in desperate need of revitalization and the poor and low-income get displaced anyway.

And then people from other counties shake their heads at Prince George's county because its poverty rate is higher and there are no amenities and jobs. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Chances are, the poor will be displaced anyway. Prince Geroge's County is in desperate need of increasing its tax base. If MoCo can price out the poor, so can Prince George's County.That would be unfortunate.

Not to mention the fact that you have a number of homeowners who have been waiting on revitalization so that they have more amenities and increased home values.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:16 PM

123 posts, read 76,148 times
Well, Fall 2026 it is. Risks seem lower than before, but one never knows. Usual ~80% cost overruns between the delays, the liability of resuming someone else's job, and the pandemic-related inflation on labor and materials. Painful, but at this point it really seems they should finish the project.
Quote:
Maryland’s Purple Line would begin carrying passengers in the Washington suburbs in fall 2026 — 4½ years behind schedule — and cost an additional $1.4 billion to build under a proposed contract to complete the beleaguered light-rail project, state transportation officials said Wednesday.

The longer-term financial implications would be steeper. The state’s cost of a broader agreement for a private concessionaire to build, operate and maintain the line for several decades would climb from $5.6 billion to $9.3 billion.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trans...and-when-open/

Old 01-14-2022, 02:55 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
A bunch of warned it would be a colossal mess.

We were not wrong.

Old 01-15-2022, 06:53 AM

123 posts, read 76,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
A bunch of warned it would be a colossal mess.

We were not wrong.
Well, it all depends on your expectations. I fully expect major construction projects to have delays and cost overruns, so if the Purple line ends up being delivered in 2026 with just an 80% cost overrun, I'd consider the construction a mild success (we'll see about the operation when the ridership numbers come in).

I'll consider the construction a mess if it ends up being delivered after 2030 with more than 100% cost overrun. Which is not too far...

Old 01-15-2022, 06:57 AM

211 posts, read 237,855 times
What economic impacts do you all think the purple line will have for the areas it serves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland