Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-16-2017, 09:30 AM
 
1,261 posts, read 695,414 times
Reputation: 364

Advertisements

Is Purple Line dying a slow death? Trump might see to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2017, 11:00 AM
 
662 posts, read 784,200 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Beco View Post
Is Purple Line dying a slow death? Trump might see to that.
Yes, federal funding has been put on pause for transit projects that were not finalized. This was not finalized due to the NIMBYs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 11:06 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Reputation: 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Yes, federal funding has been put on pause for transit projects that were not finalized. This was not finalized due to the NIMBYs
Funding has already been awarded for the Purple Line. In other words it is an approved project that is caught up in litigation. Unless I'm misunderstanding, it is not a project waiting for the approval of funds. It has passed all the governmental hurdles in terms of funding save for this one annoying lawsuit.

Not sure why they would scrap the project that has gotten this far.

I'm over it. The rich and wealthy win again. Time to move on to something else more hopeful. With all the development going on in the PUeple Line Corridor, I hope they enjoy their increasingly frustrating traffic congestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 12:04 PM
 
2,197 posts, read 2,693,257 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Funding has already been awarded for the Purple Line. In other words it is an approved project that is caught up in litigation. Unless I'm misunderstanding, it is not a project waiting for the approval of funds. It has passed all the governmental hurdles in terms of funding save for this one annoying lawsuit.

Not sure why they would scrap the project that has gotten this far.

I'm over it. The rich and wealthy win again. Time to move on to something else more hopeful. With all the development going on in the PUeple Line Corridor, I hope they enjoy their increasingly frustrating traffic congestion.
The Purple Line does not have a signed grant agreement. It was supposed to be signed in August, but has been delayed by the Chevy Chase NIMBY suit. In Trump's suggested budget outline, the Purple Line isn't funded because it doesn't yet have the signed agreement in place. Van Hollen says he expects the budget that ultimately passes won't be as batsh!t crazy as Trump's outline, but at this point who the heck knows. Everyone keeps underestimating how easily Trump/Ryan are able to turn everything into a clusterfudge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 01:01 PM
 
340 posts, read 377,455 times
Reputation: 97
Just out of curiousity, I don't know much about how this works...but I do know along Riverdale Road where the Purple Line is supposedly going to be built in Riverdale, homes have been demolished and leveled on multiple city blocks...not sure if this type of movement needs the project approved but the MD DoT wasted a lot of money if this project doesn't deliver. If you drove down the street today, you would see diggers and wrecking trucks working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 01:21 PM
 
2,197 posts, read 2,693,257 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
Just out of curiousity, I don't know much about how this works...but I do know along East-West Hwy where the Purple Line is supposedly going to be built in Riverdale, homes have been demolished and leveled on multiple city blocks...not sure if this type of movement needs the project approved or where funding comes from and who wasted that money if it doesn't deliver
Funding for all these years of preliminary work (everything from engineering and route design to environmental studies to right of way acquisition) has largely been paid for by the state (MDOT). It's hundreds of millions of dollars in sunk cost at this point. If Trump causes a 4 or 8 year delay in the project almost all of the studies (traffic, environmental, engineering, ridership, etc.) will have to be redone, which would be a massive waste of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Reputation: 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
Funding for all these years of preliminary work (everything from engineering and route design to environmental studies to right of way acquisition) has largely been paid for by the state (MDOT). It's hundreds of millions of dollars in sunk cost at this point. If Trump causes a 4 or 8 year delay in the project almost all of the studies (traffic, environmental, engineering, ridership, etc.) will have to be redone, which would be a massive waste of money.
Maryland should just go at it alone. Do it in phases. Start with College Park to Silver Spring initially. Then extend it to New Carrollton. Wait for the NIMBYs in Bethesda to run out of money or die off, then extend it to Bethesda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2017, 01:38 PM
 
340 posts, read 377,455 times
Reputation: 97
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.56ef0a830087
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2017, 08:24 AM
 
662 posts, read 784,200 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Maryland should just go at it alone. Do it in phases. Start with College Park to Silver Spring initially. Then extend it to New Carrollton. Wait for the NIMBYs in Bethesda to run out of money or die off, then extend it to Bethesda.
MD is currently running a deficit. They cannot just do it alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2017, 09:31 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Reputation: 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
MD is currently running a deficit. They cannot just do it alone.
Judging from the current budget proposal from the Trump administration, a lot of states are going to have to do things alone. I know that the budget probably won't pass, but I'm sure a lot of states are getting nervous right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top