Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 07:36 PM

280 posts, read 350,829 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of moving to MD or VA for job in DC. I am actively looking for places in Rockville, Silverspring area. I checked out Neighbourhoodscout and other resources. I am kind of getting scared to move there. With all this gang activity/riots(Baltimore)/recent Police man case in Odenton, I dont know whether to consider these areas to move or just more to NoVA since I cannot afford to live in DC.
I have some family living close to Elliot City , they dont seem to mind all the crimes happening in Maryland or may be its just a pocket that is relatively safer for them. I dont know.
It must be a silly question to ask, is there any rule of thumb one must keep in mind while choosing areas to live? Any particular areas to avoid?
I dont mean to offend anyone and start another who's better NoVA vs Maryland debate thread. Its a question, honest may be stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 09:01 PM

912 posts, read 915,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musman View Post
I am in the process of moving to MD or VA for job in DC. I am actively looking for places in Rockville, Silverspring area. I checked out Neighbourhoodscout and other resources. I am kind of getting scared to move there. With all this gang activity/riots(Baltimore)/recent Police man case in Odenton, I dont know whether to consider these areas to move or just more to NoVA since I cannot afford to live in DC.
I have some family living close to Elliot City , they dont seem to mind all the crimes happening in Maryland or may be its just a pocket that is relatively safer for them. I dont know.
It must be a silly question to ask, is there any rule of thumb one must keep in mind while choosing areas to live? Any particular areas to avoid?
I dont mean to offend anyone and start another who's better NoVA vs Maryland debate thread. Its a question, honest may be stupid.
It's not a dumb question. You need to feel safe where you live. It is common to fear that which we do not know. And all you know is what you hear on TV, since you're not living in MD/DC/VA (and you're not on the street to see the good things happening here that never make the news, because bad news sells, not good).

There are pockets, like anywhere else. Baltimore's pockets just happen to be worse than other pockets. But you shouldn't be in those pockets anyway, so stay out of them, and you'll be fine. Same goes for MD, DC, and VA. Pick where you want to live, check out some crime maps, pick a place to rent that isn't in a pocket, and you're good to go.

LA has pockets. It also has multi-million dollar mansions with celebrities in them. Does that mean all of LA is unsafe?

When I was new in CA my first time living there, I was given sage advice to stay west of PCH until I learned where their bad pockets were. My advice to newcomers to MD is stay in the burbs (generally speaking) until you know where the pockets are. I think Rockville would be a perfect location for someone new to the area. Figure out which part suits you best, pull some data, and settle in. And an early 'welcome'.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:17 AM

280 posts, read 350,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
It's not a dumb question. You need to feel safe where you live. It is common to fear that which we do not know. And all you know is what you hear on TV, since you're not living in MD/DC/VA (and you're not on the street to see the good things happening here that never make the news, because bad news sells, not good).

There are pockets, like anywhere else. Baltimore's pockets just happen to be worse than other pockets. But you shouldn't be in those pockets anyway, so stay out of them, and you'll be fine. Same goes for MD, DC, and VA. Pick where you want to live, check out some crime maps, pick a place to rent that isn't in a pocket, and you're good to go.

LA has pockets. It also has multi-million dollar mansions with celebrities in them. Does that mean all of LA is unsafe?

When I was new in CA my first time living there, I was given sage advice to stay west of PCH until I learned where their bad pockets were. My advice to newcomers to MD is stay in the burbs (generally speaking) until you know where the pockets are. I think Rockville would be a perfect location for someone new to the area. Figure out which part suits you best, pull some data, and settle in. And an early 'welcome'.
Thank you for responding. I am planning a trip to visit the area get a feel of it. As I mentioned, I am considering Rockville area. I am also looking around Odenton area. I heard schools are pretty good and its accessible to Marc.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:03 AM

789 posts, read 1,095,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserName14289 View Post
I was given sage advice to stay west of PCH until I learned where their bad pockets were.
They were really messing with you. That's like, what, 1/1000th of LA?

Old 12-15-2015, 10:59 AM

45,356 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Maryland usually rates in the Top 10 for violent crime. The hook is that the rating is driven primarily by 1 or 2 jurisdictions.

Stay out of the bad areas in those and you'll be fine.

Old 12-15-2015, 01:12 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
A map and some elementary statistical analysis would be very helpful.

Old 12-15-2015, 04:03 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
Quote:
Neighborhood scout really is not reliable because it does not take into account per capita rates which is important when there is any density.

Also in terms of safety Montgomery County is nowhere close to as dangerous as Baltimore, they may as well exist on another planet. There is nothing to be scared of in Downtown Silver Spring or Rockville. They are really safe, albeit more urbanized, suburbs. So please realize the problems of Baltimore are nowhere close to being the problems of Montgomery County. You are basically comparing an affluent suburban area, to one of the most dangerous cities in the US. Don't. Silver Spring and Rockville are safe, really, you are getting a little too overly fearful.

With Silver Spring, it's generally places in the northeastern part of the county, and east of the long branch. This is not in the downtown area. Even then it it's not that bad, like east of the river DC or the poorer parts of PG county bad. Even East of the River DC and the poorer parts of PG county is not Western Baltimore bad.

You are taking the fear of one really bad city, and applying it to the state, and to be truthful, one of the nicest areas of the state. My advice if you are looking at downtown silver spring or rockville, there is not much to be worried about. In this case it's irrational fear that is having it's role.

Last edited by DistrictSonic; 12-15-2015 at 04:11 PM..

Old 12-16-2015, 11:03 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
Based on what you may see on the news, it is understandable that Maryland in general looks a little questionable. It's great that you already have family here, I'm in Ellicott City too. I grew up in a ruralish suburb in Ohio and you know what? There was higher crime in my town in Ohio then there is in my town now. I'd urge you to look at spotcrime.org; it allows you to plug in an address to see what kind of crimes have recently occurred in that area. Be sure to look up your current neighborhood as well. Also, when looking at neighborhoods, it's helpful to look up the schools on greatschools.org. The information listed under "students" will help you get a clearer picture of the types of families you can expect in your neighborhood.
Maryland is a beautiful diverse state with SO MANY fantastic areas. You really need to come see for yourself.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:11 PM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Try to avoid living in a zip code in which the median household income is < $60,000 (for the Baltimore-Washington area).

Otherwise, there is nothing to worry about.

Old 12-16-2015, 07:42 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,959,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Try to avoid living in a zip code in which the median household income is < $60,000 (for the Baltimore-Washington area).

Otherwise, there is nothing to worry about.
This is generally good advice. Handy tool: Washington: A world apart | The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland