Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 08:38 AM

20 posts, read 22,957 times

Advertisements

Hello! Hubby and I are looking at houses in Silver Spring and went to see this one on Greenbrier:

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Silver-Spr.../home/10966572

We liked it a lot. I saw that it's been on the market for 66 days.

Then we saw this one on Hanover and also liked it a lot, but it's been on market for 7 months:

https://www.redfin.com/MD/Silver-Spr.../home/10979889

Neither of them are within shouting distance of the purple line construction, so we're wondering if you all know if anything might be "wrong" with them considering their times on market. We live in DC so don't know too much about the area aside from the daytime walking tours we've done.

Many thanks for any input!!

Last edited by EllenUpt; 01-04-2016 at 08:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 08:59 AM

20 posts, read 22,957 times
Ok looks like the owner of 2006 Hanover was murdered in his home. Sounds like he was a wonderful person. How sad part of me still wants to buy it since I think all houses want to be a home. But I'd be afraid of resale issues.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...5a6_story.html

Any comments about Greenbrier much appreciated!

Last edited by EllenUpt; 01-04-2016 at 10:04 AM..

Old 01-04-2016, 10:15 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,011,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenUpt View Post
Any comments about Greenbrier much appreciated!
Decent location. The kitchen will be cramped with the fridge next to the door. Does it have a basement? If not, you will have a challege with storage space.

BTW, the house on Hanover is adorable. I like it much better than the house on Greenbrier. I would buy it, especially if I were going to live there for 5 years or so. People will have forgotten about the murder by then. (If the owner's ghost is still around, I think he will be a friendly ghost.)

Old 01-04-2016, 11:36 AM

2,187 posts, read 2,683,598 times
Yeah, I'd think Hanover hasn't sold because of it's abnormally high PPSQFT, more than anything.

For Greenbrier, 66 days during this time of year isn't surprising; there are very few buyers out there this time of year.

There aren't any red flags I know of, other than the locations being a bit detached re: walkability. Crossing 16th and crossing Dale aren't deal breakers for a pedestrian, but it isn't pleasant, either.

Also, for the Hanover home, you'll definitely hear/feel the few CSX trains a day rumble by. You're far enough away that it shouldn't be unpleasant, but if you're a light sleeper or something like that then maybe the location wouldn't work.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:28 PM

22 posts, read 25,462 times
I would agree that 66 days isnt that long considering it's been fall/winter. In terms of the location, consider the walking index and also consider space which is not only the final frontier but can truly be a deal breaker when shopping around for homes. Finally, if you are afraid of perhaps the ghost in the house, burn some white sage. Google white sage and you'll see what I am referring too. Cheers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
View detailed profiles of: