Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 11:17 PM

629 posts, read 946,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbasix View Post
We are now focusing on the Silver Spring area north of the beltway...any suggestions on neighborhoods??
Stonegate, Naples, Sherwood Forest, Woodmont, Cresthaven, all really nice, probably pricey though. There is a neighborhood that has musical names of the streets that was nice back when I was a youngun, don't know if it still is as nice but there are townhouses there that could be more reasonable.

I commuted to downtown Bethesda from Stonegate, btw. It usually took about 45 minutes either way. And that was 13 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 09:28 AM

9 posts, read 46,000 times
We are on the move in about 3 weeks and are still working on finding a place...we still like Silver Spring but also based on the posts on this site are considering Rockville, Gaithersburg and Germantown...quick thoughts on what areas to avoid would be great!

Old 04-02-2008, 01:42 PM

52 posts, read 244,820 times
Silver Spring is very mixed as very as good and bad neighborhoods. I have a friend who lives there and commutes to NIH and is satisfied. Having said that you should know that just about anywhere in the area, Gaithersburg, Germantown, Rockville on a good day to NIH main campus is going to be 30minutes to hour. On a bad day over an hour. I've had it take me 2 hours down the 270 corridor to Bethesda from Germantown.

If you want to minimize your commute you'd need to live in Potomac or North Bethesda or close to a red line Metro station. If you don't mind living in a very congested area, King Farm in Rockville is very close to the Shady Grove Metro and runs a shuttle there.

Personally, Gaithersburg is too congested for me and has crime issues. Germantown is better but is also starting to get built up and has had some issues with gangs lately. Clarksburg is ok but also has overdevelopment issues. Kentlands in Gaithersburg is a nice area with lots of houses, townhouses, shops, restaurants and movie theaters. But again very tightly packed.

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2010, 09:24 AM

2 posts, read 6,224 times
Hey Guys! , I live in Baltimore (around White Marsh) and I have to commute to NIH Rockville campus everyday for work, I was wondering if someone could tell me what time should I leave for work and if I leave early around 6 from my house , should I take 495 or should i just take the Burtonsville exit and go from there and how long is it going to take if I leave around 6 or 6:30 am...and what time should I go back home. Please advise

Old 08-15-2010, 02:52 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamC View Post
Hey Guys! , I live in Baltimore (around White Marsh) and I have to commute to NIH Rockville campus everyday for work, I was wondering if someone could tell me what time should I leave for work and if I leave early around 6 from my house , should I take 495 or should i just take the Burtonsville exit and go from there and how long is it going to take if I leave around 6 or 6:30 am...and what time should I go back home. Please advise
Where is NIH located? (Major cross streets?) The answer would affect the advice. Generally, you're better off on 495.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:47 PM

265 posts, read 1,063,596 times
I am not able to help you specifically with a route but I do know NIH (Bethesda) well--the few folks I've known from the Baltimore area that commute get there, and return, as early as they can. The earliest regular shift (but it depends on your supervisor) could be 7:00 to 3:30. The key word is EARLY. If it is Fri. afternoon, or the weather is at all bad, or there is an accident, it will take even longer. If you can keep that commute up regularly, my hat is off to you. You might also want to look into carpooling or vanpooling. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland