Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 08:23 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Lol, so true. This illegal immigrant stuff is so blown out of proportion. It's a problem sure, but is it ruining a county of a million people? I don't think so. Plus, I don't see too many non immigrants doing most of the jobs they do anyway. I don't see people from NE coming in and cleaning my office at night. They won't do it, even for twice the pay.
Blown out of proportion huh? When's the last time you analyzed a Montgomery County budget?

Yeah, that's what I thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:59 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times
15 years ago after 10 years in a condo in Gaithersburg, I moved to an SF in Laurel. Reason for move was that boss refused to move out of PG. She's involved with the school system, but not a teacher. She wanted to stay because she's personally committed to trying to improve the schools. I didn't care because we have no kids. But would've cared a lot if kids were involved, and maybe wouldn't have done it.

At first I was a bit concerned, but that has long faded. Ah jus luv the absence of major traffic issues in PG. Beyond a few minor traffic issues in CP there's little traffic compared to MoCo. Laurel to Bethesda doesn't take much/any longer than Germantown to Bethesda.

I do wish PG pols would learn from their MoCo counterparts and be more proactive, (I didn't say and don't mean progressive), across a range of issues big and small. Sometimes it feels like the 1950's.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:07 AM

27,559 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Montgomery County is overall pretty good. But I'd say Bethesda is among the top places to live in the U.S.

Doesn't get much better than that.

Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Montgomery County is overall pretty good. But I'd say Bethesda is among the top places to live in the U.S.

ok whatever. its really not. but if you think so…..

Old 02-11-2016, 08:23 AM

469 posts, read 549,703 times
Howard and AA county both have higher scores amoung blacks, Asians, and whites. How does Bethesda represent a whole county? Lol. There are about 900k plus people that don't reside in Potomac or Bethesda

Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
Howard and AA county both have higher scores amoung blacks, Asians, and whites. How does Bethesda represent a whole county? Lol. There are about 900k plus people that don't reside in Potomac or Bethesda
What higher scores? Hos many of those scoring it actually lived in Bethesda? or are the scores about the whole county?

Old 02-11-2016, 12:27 PM

789 posts, read 1,095,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's your position? Really? My god, this forum is circling the drain. We can't even find an intelligent liberal, much less one who can demonstrate logic through their own sentences.
Okay smartypants, dispel my belief. Dictate to us what the massive issue is, and how my statement is incorrect. I'm waiting. You've been at this thread for how many days now? All you have done is link to articles that contain a fair amount of language that actually argues against your points. Which is a pretty lame way to try and persuade others that your labels are even accurate, let alone you opinion.

On an equally anecdotal note, I have yet to see anyone in the field I am familiar with (government, engineering, science, math, high tech manufacturing, food production) be negatively impacted by illegal immigration anywhere, let along Montgomery County.

And yes. I did say "Food production". These are jobs companies have been dying to fill positions for decades. The eastern shore, as an example, is more prolific than ever in terms of agricultural production. A lot of it has to do with immigration, legal and otherwise.

Finally, it doesn't appear that you have much empathy for others, particularly when you consider that many illegal immigrants (remember the median age differences) have absolutely nothing to do with coming here in the first place. I just am disappointed that people are selfish to the point that they are willing to actively destroy children's lives over something they had no control over.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:05 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Top places for who? Rich middle-aged white males? Just because a place is uber-affluent doesn't mean it is a nice place to live. Even people with money may prefer a little more diversity and hipness. Just because Bethesda is an edge city doesn't always make it desirable. I know even if I had the money to live in Bethesda, I wouldn't. I don't even go there for the restaurants. In fact, tonight I'm going to National Harbor to try the new Succotash restaurant.

Old 02-11-2016, 02:48 PM

469 posts, read 549,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
What higher scores? Hos many of those scoring it actually lived in Bethesda? or are the scores about the whole county?
ummm please check the MD State Report Card. Howard and AA have had higher test scores then Moco for a number of years. Again Bethesda is a city in Montgomery county, NOT MONTGOMERY COUNTY. You can only benefit from living in Bethesda if you can afford an 900k plus house.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:33 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
ummm please check the MD State Report Card. Howard and AA have had higher test scores then Moco for a number of years. Again Bethesda is a city in Montgomery county, NOT MONTGOMERY COUNTY. You can only benefit from living in Bethesda if you can afford an 900k plus house.
It didn't sound like you were talking about test scores, but now you are.

Decisions about where to live should be about more than test scores. Still, it is possible to live in one of the good school zones of MoCo without buying a 900k+ house. I know. I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland