Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:05 PM

222 posts, read 270,925 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure how you would even get to Fort Meade from either of those three locations without a car. I am also not sure how any of those three places are cheaper than whats around fort meade. I would stick it out with a location closer to your work as your commute will drive you crazy as each of those three without a car will easily be 3 hours or more per day in just commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 12:09 PM

15 posts, read 26,428 times
The MARC train goes right outside and then there's a shuttle to Ft Meade. They aren't cheaper necessarily, but the price of apartments around that area (say $1700 in DC vs. $13-1400 for a nice place near Ft Meade/Arundel Mills) doesn't cancel out keeping the car. Plus, I don't feel like I would meet lots of people in a suburb like that? But I'm not sure of the demographics. If I live close to Union station and hop on the MARC from there, it's about 35-45 mins by train, I believe.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:28 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenba View Post
The MARC train goes right outside and then there's a shuttle to Ft Meade. They aren't cheaper necessarily, but the price of apartments around that area (say $1700 in DC vs. $13-1400 for a nice place near Ft Meade/Arundel Mills) doesn't cancel out keeping the car. Plus, I don't feel like I would meet lots of people in a suburb like that? But I'm not sure of the demographics. If I live close to Union station and hop on the MARC from there, it's about 35-45 mins by train, I believe.
ok we have all given you replies to you question. so you already figured it out. nobody recommends living in dc or va to commute across the state. but good luck

Old 03-09-2016, 12:33 PM

If I have a budget of $2000 for apartment, possible car, and anything else that might come up, what would you do? Car will be around $500/mo, which leaves me with $1500 for an apartment/extras. Apartments in that area are going for $1300-$1500....

Old 03-09-2016, 12:47 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Quote:
If I have a budget of $2000 for apartment, possible car, and anything else that might come up, what would you do? Car will be around $500/mo, which leaves me with $1500 for an apartment/extras. Apartments in that area are going for $1300-$1500....
What I would do: Trade in that new car with a $500/month payment, and buy an old car for cash. Move to Glen Burnie in the cheapest 1-bedroom.

If you really want to try the carless option, I pick a studio in the NoMa neighborhood. I believe there are some which have a grocery store in the complex. Otherwise, you will be living on take-out food from Union Station.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:50 PM

1,616 posts, read 1,807,144 times
Quote:
so you think commuting from a farther distance and living in a more expensive area makes sense?

Old 03-09-2016, 12:53 PM

My car is leased so I can't trade it in wish I hadn't done that now. I considered getting a cheap car once I save up a little, if I can save at all. That's awesome some have grocery stores in them. I did just see that apartments near Ft Meade have possible bike routes as well. Although I don't know how "carless" I could go out there, even living across from a mall...

Old 03-09-2016, 01:30 PM

25 posts, read 59,323 times
Did you know that Ft. Meade has housing that you can rent, for pretty reasonable prices? When they allowed the on-base housing to be run by a contractor, they opened it up to military, military retirees, and DOD employees:

Fort Meade |

We live in Bowie MD - my DH is retired Army. We go to Ft. Meade for a monthly commissary trip, it's about a 30 minute drive for us. No way in H E double toothpicks would I want to commute from DC or VA to Meade. No.Way.

Old 03-10-2016, 05:14 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,304,524 times
This is our 3rd tour to Fort Meade and I really, really think you're going about it all wrong. I cannot express to you what a pain it will be commuting from DC or anywhere in Montgomery County to the Fort Meade area. Its terrible driving it and you want to do it with no car in an area that really is pretty car dependent? In your situation, I'd recommend you concentrate on finding a place in the area around the Arundel Mills mall (Hanover). Keep your car. Go into DC/Silver Spring in the evenings/weekends to hang out. Rent for a year while you are figuring it all out. If moving to DC still looks good to you after a year, then you'll make the decision with better information than you currently have.

Old 03-11-2016, 12:25 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
^^ silvercedes cjmeck and others are trying to tell you what the deal is day to day in this area, and how commutes are. If you qualify for housing ON Fort Meade, do that. nothing HAS to be a permanent decision. But why not live close in the beginning, and as you get to know the area as you actually live here, THEN you can decide if you want to commute from farther away.

- Have you thought about a roommate?
- Have you perhaps looked at other areas of your budget?
- Can you get the student loan payments reduced?

-- I don't want to get all into your business…but are you a newly graduated student? and is this your first job? Or is this a pay-cut move to position yourself for more money later on?
-- Do you plan on working a part-time job?
-- If this offered salary isn't enough to make ends meet then do you plan to supplement your income?

I just feel bad because it sounds like your salary really won't be enough for you to live on.

Last edited by selhars; 03-11-2016 at 12:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland