Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2008, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 8,004 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to the Bethesda area from Florida in the next month and will likely be renting a 2 BR/2B apartment or condo. I would like to know more about the cost of utilities in Maryland and also how to arrange for reliable high speed internet access. I have searched the Maryland forum and have seen utilities costs ranging from $150 to $800 a month - which is not helping me to make a budget . Any information on approximate costs would be much appreciated.
Also, since my work depends on internet access, I would appreciate any input on the most reliable internet providers in the Bethesda area. Many thanks for any help you can offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 09:55 AM

915 posts, read 3,179,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrollmichael View Post
My husband and I will be moving to the Bethesda area from Florida in the next month and will likely be renting a 2 BR/2B apartment or condo. I would like to know more about the cost of utilities in Maryland and also how to arrange for reliable high speed internet access. I have searched the Maryland forum and have seen utilities costs ranging from $150 to $800 a month - which is not helping me to make a budget . Any information on approximate costs would be much appreciated.
Also, since my work depends on internet access, I would appreciate any input on the most reliable internet providers in the Bethesda area. Many thanks for any help you can offer.
My utilities cost me about $150 /month gas and electric (Nov, 07 till now)
Internet, i'm using Comcast $66 for internet + digital cable (HBO + Starz)
home is 1110 sq ft with basement and 2nd floor, made of bricks..rowhome!

Old 02-11-2008, 11:27 AM

350 posts, read 1,645,485 times
We have BG&E, and our monthly bill has been around $150 this winter. We're pretty careful about lights and the heat.
Comcast offers bundles- we get phone(includinglong distance), internet and cable for $130. Digital cable on 1 tv and regular cable on 2 others.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 PM

15,424 posts, read 25,792,502 times
For internet there are a few choices. Camcast, RCN, or Verizon. I'm using RCN because I got tire of Comcast and Verizon FIOS isn't ready in my area yet.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:25 PM

770 posts, read 3,679,610 times
I do not have gas, just electric and I own a 1500 sq ft duplex. I keep my heat on 72 and someone is usually always home. My budget bill is 205 a month. I think I will end up having a credit though.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:53 PM

217 posts, read 751,969 times
I have a ceiling contract at $2.99 gal for heating oil. I keep the house at 65 deg and have had $900 worth of oil delivered since November. Electricity is around $60 month and water is the same.
I have satellite TV at $50 month and regular phone service with the only carrier in my area is $40 after the infamous MD fees, tolls and taxes are added to the initial $29 price. Verizon DSL cost me $18 month.

Old 02-12-2008, 07:46 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,397,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
I have a ceiling contract at $2.99 gal for heating oil. I keep the house at 65 deg and have had $900 worth of oil delivered since November. Electricity is around $60 month and water is the same.
I have satellite TV at $50 month and regular phone service with the only carrier in my area is $40 after the infamous MD fees, tolls and taxes are added to the initial $29 price. Verizon DSL cost me $18 month.
What's heating oil? Because we are considering the DC/Maryland area, I'm curious as to what we can expect to pay for utilities.

In Phoenix, I've paid as high as $271 in the winter and over $200 in the summer.

So I'm just wondering what "oil delivery" is because I've never heard of it. Sorry if this seems like a stupid question.

Old 02-13-2008, 09:17 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,482 times
"Heating oil, or oil heat, also known in the United States as No. 2 heating oil, is a low viscosity, flammable liquid petroleum product used to fuel building furnaces or boilers. In the U.S. it must conform to ASTM standard D396. Diesel and kerosene, while often confused as being similar or identical, must conform to their own respective ASTM standards.
Heating oil is commonly delivered by tank truck to residential, commercial and municipal buildings and stored in above-ground storage tanks ("ASTs") located in the basement, garage, or outside adjacent to the building. It is sometimes stored in underground storage tanks (or "USTs"), but less often than ASTs. ASTs are used for smaller installations due to the lower cost factor. Heating oil is less commonly used as an industrial fuel or for power generation.
Heating oil is widely used in parts of the U.S. where natural gas is frequently not available. In places where other fuels are available, it is sometimes preferred as the unit cost per BTU can be less then other fuels."

It is predominately used in older homes in the northeastern states.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM

629 posts, read 945,829 times
We rarely pay over $200/month for electric in peak. Off-peak, it's usually $80 or less. We are all-electric and own a 1300sf townhouse. Even better than insulation, a house on either side...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland