Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 09:35 PM

48 posts, read 37,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I think that is a good call. the 10 year plan for NH and the surrounding area is substantive so it would be a good investment overall.

I hope you're right. Outside of the MGM what have you heard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 08:07 AM

2,429 posts, read 3,565,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvjay View Post
I hope you're right. Outside of the MGM what have you heard?
I haven't heard of anything definitive at this point but You should check out the master plans that the county has for the adjacent areas. That will give you an idea of the direction that the county and state are going.There have been actions over the past year or two that show signs that some major development activities are on the horizons. There have been several significant land purchases by developers in the surrounding areas of Oxon Hill, Eastover, Glassmanor, and Fort Washington that suggest that more development coming. Also Glassmanor's annexation of part of Oxon Hill Farm for commercial development is another sign that future development outside of the Harbor is more of a reality than a concept.

Projects that I know are on the books now are the 1.3 M square foot project at the National Harbor that will begin after MGM opens, the Tanger Outlets hotel project, as well as the four NH projects that have already started. There is the Livingston Square project in Fort Washington, Fort Washington Acres project near the hospital, two upscale multi-unit projects in Eastover, and the 210 reconfiguration project. Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I do know that the annexed land from Oxon Hill farm is in the running for the new Redskins stadium, there are plans in place to revamp Eastover Mall into a Town center concept and that the area has experienced an uptick in home sales by groups that have not traditionally bought here previously. This is probably due to home affordability compared to other parts of the metro area..

Last edited by UrbanScholar; 07-27-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 08:22 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I haven't heard of anything definitive at this point but You should check out the master plans that the county has for the adjacent areas. That will give you an idea of the direction that the county and state are going.There have been actions over the past year or two that show signs that some major development activities are on the horizons. There have been several significant land purchases by developers in the surrounding areas of Oxon Hill, Eastover, Glassmanor, and Fort Washington that suggest that more development coming. Also Glassmanor's annexation of part of Oxon Hill Farm for commercial development is another sign that future development outside of the Harbor is more of a reality than a concept.

Projects that I know are on the books now are the 1.3 M square foot project at the National Harbor that will begin after MGM opens, the Tanger Outlets hotel project, as well as the four NH projects that have already started. There is the Livingston Square project in Fort Washington, Fort Washington Acres project near the hospital, two upscale multi-unit projects in Eastover, and the 210 reconfiguration project. Those are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head. I do know that the annexed land from Oxon Hill farm is in the running for the new Redskins stadium, there are plans in place to revamp Eastover Mall into a Town center concept and that the area has experienced an uptick in home sales by groups that have not traditionally bought here due to home affordability.

Wow. Eastover. I used to live near there growing up. My how things are changing.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wow. Eastover. I used to live near there growing up. My how things are changing.
Yeah they plan to totally revamp that area over the next 15 to 20 years. My guess is that projects like MGM, DHS relocation, Continued improvements to Navy Yard and a potential relocation of the Redskins Stadium (which would be a major catalyst) would shorten that timeline. Here is a link to the sector plan for that area if you haven't already seen it.

Approved Eastover/Forest Heights/Glassmanor Sector Plan and Proposed Sectional Map Amendment (SMA)

Old 07-27-2016, 09:15 AM

48 posts, read 37,430 times
GREAT info indeed. I still think the last big missing piece, will be adding metro to the Harbor. There seem to be conflicting reports on if/when that will happen. I look forward to it happening at some point.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:31 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvjay View Post
GREAT info indeed. I still think the last big missing piece, will be adding metro to the Harbor. There seem to be conflicting reports on if/when that will happen. I look forward to it happening at some point.
Some form of transportation is coming. Whether it be heavy or light rail or BRT. There is no end in sight to the growth of that area. Not having some form of mass transit would be unsustainable in the long run. The only questions are in what form will it take and when will it be built.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Some form of transportation is coming. Whether it be heavy or light rail or BRT. There is no end in sight to the growth of that area. Not having some form of mass transit would be unsustainable in the long run. The only questions are in what form will it take and when will it be built.
Agreed. If things continue to go in the current direction there will definitely be one if not several modes that will be put in place. Especially if they want the commercial districts to be successful

Old 07-27-2016, 10:08 AM

130 posts, read 143,199 times
Interesting...@urbanscholar l, when do you think the 1.3 million sq ft development near mgm would start construction(directly after mgm completes?)?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmvwhatup View Post
Interesting...@urbanscholar l, when do you think the 1.3 million sq ft development near mgm would start construction(directly after mgm completes?)?
They didn't give a specific timeline just that they would give MGM time to acclimate. My guess would be a year so sometime in 2018,

Old 07-28-2016, 07:31 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
Read the OP…..where the heck is WFH? I wish people wouldn't use nuptials on first reference. Not everyone knows what they stand for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland