Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 10:51 AM

45,329 posts, read 60,500,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
The race card was thrown a while ago. I'm just willing to acknowledge its existence. What you say about PG county is absolutely true, but we are talking about Charles.

It's kind of bounced back and forth to southern PG.

Anyway, what happened in Waldorf was the same thing-the White kids aged out, the parents downsized and moved and were replaced by Blacks with school aged kids. The driving force for that was Black Flight from Prince Georges and, to an extent, DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2016, 04:24 PM

50 posts, read 49,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Naw I don't folks one bit for avoiding public schools with many black kids. I just think it's sad that it has had to come to that.
tyvm and he is in college now. In his 3rd year of computer science and loves it. I'm so glad you are doing well also

Old 06-01-2016, 07:23 AM

24 posts, read 35,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskmd View Post
Hello everyone!!

I want to buy a house and Waldorf seems affordable
.....Is Waldorf a good place to live??? Family of 3, 1 child.

I haven't seen all the replies on this thread yet, so apologies if this has already been communicated. I lived in Waldorf 20603 between 2011-2015 with a husband and two young kids. Our neighborhood was new, space was aplenty, and the neighbors were professional. However, outside of our little enclave there were pockets of crime picking up. Opioid abuse was rising and more crimes associated with that were becoming more frequent.

The schools were alright, but I only had experience with the local Elem. Actually, the further south in White Plains, LaPlata you go, the better the school system.

Other pro's: convenient to National Harbor, shopping, retails and chain restaurants. Updated, nice movie theaters.

But we moved because of this: HORRENDOUS TRAFFIC!!!!!!

We both worked in DC and as a result, our two young children were in daycare from 6am - 6:00pm everyday. If we were late by 5-10minutes or God forbid, a 1/2 hour, our commute suffered. I'm talking 1.25 hours -1.5 hours each way if you do not leave your house by 6am or conversely get off at 3:45pm in the afternoons (I worked in Metro Center, hubby near Farragut North). There is a commuter bus option, but again you need to be on it by 6am if you want to actually spend time with your children in the evening (homework, afternoon soccer practice/games, family dinner). Our quality of life suffered. We never saw each other until one of us got home at 8pm. Weekends were spent recuperating, car maintenance, stuck in local weekend traffic along 301 to run errands.

Waldorf is a bedroom community. Everyone commutes in and out M-F and the two options 210 and 301/5 are awful with no plans for improvement.

Yes, Waldorf is affordable, but if you actually want the life part in the work/life balance, please re-consider another community.

Fort Washington perhaps? FYI - Avoid 20602. Pockets of 20601 are okay. If you would like more information, I happy to share via PM.

At the end of 2015, we moved to a smaller home, 20 mins from our jobs and life has been so much sweeter!

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskmd View Post
What do you think about taking the commuter bus to DC?
The commuter bus runs only during a certain time, so say you have a morning/afternoon doc's appointment, you will have to drive in and out of the city or drive to a metro station afterwards. There is 1 bus that leaves at 12noon from DC, but the last bus going into DC is around 9am ish.

If you're catching a 6am bus, you should be into Metro Center about 6:45am-7:15am. After riding the bus for a year, I got really claustrophic with the various smells that you're forced to endure for 1 hour and no access to windows. People usually are quiet in the am but some try to nap on the pm ride, but you will occasionally have the obnoxious person chatting on the phone the entire ride.

Old 06-01-2016, 12:59 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by au18 View Post
I haven't seen all the replies on this thread yet, so apologies if this has already been communicated. I lived in Waldorf 20603 between 2011-2015 with a husband and two young kids. Our neighborhood was new, space was aplenty, and the neighbors were professional. However, outside of our little enclave there were pockets of crime picking up. Opioid abuse was rising and more crimes associated with that were becoming more frequent.

The schools were alright, but I only had experience with the local Elem. Actually, the further south in White Plains, LaPlata you go, the better the school system.

Other pro's: convenient to National Harbor, shopping, retails and chain restaurants. Updated, nice movie theaters.

We both worked in DC and as a result, our two young children were in daycare from 6am - 6:00pm everyday. If we were late by 5-10minutes or God forbid, a 1/2 hour, our commute suffered. I'm talking 1.25 hours -1.5 hours each way if you do not leave your house by 6am or conversely get off at 3:45pm in the afternoons (I worked in Metro Center, hubby near Farragut North). There is a commuter bus option, but again you need to be on it by 6am if you want to actually spend time with your children in the evening (homework, afternoon soccer practice/games, family dinner). Our quality of life suffered. We never saw each other until one of us got home at 8pm. Weekends were spent recuperating, car maintenance, stuck in local weekend traffic along 301 to run errands.

Waldorf is a bedroom community. Everyone commutes in and out M-F and the two options 210 and 301/5 are awful with no plans for improvement.

Yes, Waldorf is affordable, but if you actually want the life part in the work/life balance, please re-consider another community.

Fort Washington perhaps? FYI - Avoid 20602. Pockets of 20601 are okay. If you would like more information, I happy to share via PM.

At the end of 2015, we moved to a smaller home, 20 mins from our jobs and life has been so much sweeter!

Good luck!
Nice post. Unfortunately opioid use is on the rise in Southern MD. I know the local hospitals had to hire more security to calm and restrain the od patients.

Old 06-01-2016, 02:20 PM

219 posts, read 594,821 times
Quote:

Good luck!
Good post! This solidifies my reasoning for not purchasing in Waldorf b/c the traffic is terrible. I need a good work/life balance and don't want to spend most of my time in the car.

Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,187 times
I used to work near McPherson as well and lived in Fort Washington. It regularly took me 1.5 hours to get too work. I can imagine coming from Waldorf would be even worse. After a year I moved because I couldn't take the commute. I agree with au16. 210 traffic is no joke.

Old 06-02-2016, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 3,511 times
Quote:

Good luck!

Thank you for sharing this great information. I was considering buying in Waldorf as well because of affordability. I have a tight budget of 250K only and I also work downtown DC (McPherson Sq)

Sorry being nosey, but Where did you move to?

I've checked Fort Washington, but public schools there are awful, awful!

I just don't know what to do

Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
I used to work near McPherson as well and lived in Fort Washington. It regularly took me 1.5 hours to get too work. I can imagine coming from Waldorf would be even worse. After a year I moved because I couldn't take the commute. I agree with au16. 210 traffic is no joke.
Commute to Springfield via 210 from Waldorf it's pretty bad. Moving in the fall when my lease is up.

Old 06-03-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp2016 View Post
Thank you for sharing this great information. I was considering buying in Waldorf as well because of affordability. I have a tight budget of 250K only and I also work downtown DC (McPherson Sq)

Sorry being nosey, but Where did you move to?

I've checked Fort Washington, but public schools there are awful, awful!

I just don't know what to do

Thanks! I understand the budget aspect, and I don't want to steer anyone away from what they can afford, but I wanted to share information folks ought to know before buying.

We moved to Silver Spring, near Forest Glen Metro.

I'm not terribly sure about schools in this area, but the Mt. Rainer/University Park/Cheverly, MD are supposed to have good Elem's and okay middle schools. We considered this area before eventually settled in SS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland