Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,560,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Not saying I agree with my mom. But I have heard this complaint from multiple people.They did close down that Safeway off 214, also a lot of people preferred Food Lion to Weis.
They closed that one in part because of Wegmans stealing the competition, and there are still multiple grocers in that area including the Weis plus another Safeway over in Fairwood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 02:37 PM

4,399 posts, read 4,288,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the resident09 View Post
They closed that one in part because of Wegmans stealing the competition, and there are still multiple grocers in that area including the Weis plus another Safeway over in Fairwood.
Yup, also that thing is confirmed to be a furniture store.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:21 PM

Finally! A ceremonial groundbreaking took place yesterday:

Capitol Heights Development Plans Revealed | NBC4 Washington

Old 05-17-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
Yup, also that thing is confirmed to be a furniture store.
I saw the sign as I rode by on 495 this morning, you are correct.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:09 AM

Woodmore town center, Largo, Ritchie Marlboro, BLVD posts can go here in this thread.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:22 PM

67 posts, read 80,697 times
we desperately need an upscale grocer there. The Wegmans at Woodmore was the #1 Wegmans in the nation as far as revenue. The area is starving for quality grocers and Ritchie Marlboro is a perfect spot with tons of new homes and old around. They could probably support another Wegmans there although they would never put one that close to the other.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:25 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveControl View Post
we desperately need an upscale grocer there. The Wegmans at Woodmore was the #1 Wegmans in the nation as far as revenue. The area is starving for quality grocers and Ritchie Marlboro is a perfect spot with tons of new homes and old around. They could probably support another Wegmans there although they would never put one that close to the other.
Wegmans and Ikea have the same model it seems when choosing locations. They see themselves as destinations. Wegmans normally spreads out 20 miles or more between stores. Ikea is even further. There has been much talk about Wegmans at Walter Reed. But I think that idea may be dead in the water now that they chose the old Fannie Mae headquarters on Wisconsin Ave.

You also have to take into account that they chose more middle-income to upper-income market areas. Draw a circle with a 15 - 20 mile diameter and you can see where a potential Wegmans may be.

The places I see having a chance are the following (ranked):

1. Waldorf
2. Upper Marlboro
3. (Burtonsville, Southwest Laurel, Colesville, etc.)

Old 07-10-2017, 09:53 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PositiveControl View Post
Not being a smart ### but do you have a link to that about that one being #1,thanks.

Old 07-10-2017, 10:01 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,658,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wegmans and Ikea have the same model it seems when choosing locations. They see themselves as destinations. Wegmans normally spreads out 20 miles or more between stores. Ikea is even further. There has been much talk about Wegmans at Walter Reed. But I think that idea may be dead in the water now that they chose the old Fannie Mae headquarters on Wisconsin Ave.

You also have to take into account that they chose more middle-income to upper-income market areas. Draw a circle with a 15 - 20 mile diameter and you can see where a potential Wegmans may be.

The places I see having a chance are the following (ranked):

1. Waldorf
2. Upper Marlboro
3. (Burtonsville, Southwest Laurel, Colesville, etc.)
Upper Marlboro is still to close to the Crofton Store and I doubt Waldorf becuase while the money and people are there it suffers, still suffers from that "good Ol Boy" reputation it has had for years.Burtonsville and Laurel I know little about.In my opinion there is a good chance at St,Mary's county getting something of a higher end grocer such as a Wegman,Harris Teeter or a Whole Foods.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:44 PM

67 posts, read 80,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
Not being a smart ### but do you have a link to that about that one being #1,thanks.
honestly I was told that by a Manager there when talking about its impact on the community as I frequent that location. Maybe he was blowing smoke but he said they had a year in which they were #1 of all wegmans. I was told this last year so I assume he had to be referring to 2015. I just did some googling to see if these figures can be found online and I could not find them. The place stays booming from open to close so I do buy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland