Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 10:12 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

I really wish there had been more of a residential component at Ritchie Marlboro, anyone heard of the possibility of this?

I expect a lot of more residential infill to pick up between exits 13 and 17 of the Beltway as the new hospital begins construction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2016, 12:17 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I think it had something to do with the liquor license and the the timelines for improving Beltway Plaza. From what I heard, the owners are not going to do anything significant unless the FBI comes.

There is nothing stopping SMG from having another location in Greenbelt once that site improves. Hopefully they, or similar styled theaters, will have locations throughout the county.
Yeah, but northwestern Greenbelt has good "bones." There were plans before the FBI to build around the metro and even turn Beltway Plaza into a town center. I can't imagine with all that's going on along Rt. 1 and the new Purple Line that the owners of Beltway Plaza will continue to sit on their hands even if the FBI doesn't come. Beltway Plaza is not that far from the booming RT.1 corridor. All they would have to do is see what's happening around PG Plaza and what the mall owners for that mall have decided to do. I see redevelopment as inevitable regardless of an FBI move to Greenbelt. The location is ideal for development.

Nevertheless, I'm glad they still decided to locate within the county.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:28 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Yeah, but northwestern Greenbelt has good "bones." There were plans before the FBI to build around the metro and even turn Beltway Plaza into a town center. I can't imagine with all that's going on along Rt. 1 and the new Purple Line that the owners of Beltway Plaza will continue to sit on their hands even if the FBI doesn't come. Beltway Plaza is not that far from the booming RT.1 corridor. All they would have to do is see what's happening around PG Plaza and what the mall owners for that mall have decided to do. I see redevelopment as inevitable regardless of an FBI move to Greenbelt. The location is ideal for development.

Nevertheless, I'm glad they still decided to locate within the county.
I agree. They will definitely do something but I don't think it will be as significant a transformation as it would be if the FBI comes (more like the reno at Iverson Mall vs LTC). As least that was the impression I got at an economic development meeting I attended earlier this year. I personally feel its short sighted to hedge their investment on the FBI considering the growth of the area but I can't speak for their wallets.

Old 11-08-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanScholar View Post
I agree. They will definitely do something but I don't think it will be as significant a transformation as it would be if the FBI comes (more like the reno at Iverson Mall vs LTC). As least that was the impression I got at an economic development meeting I attended earlier this year. I personally feel its short sighted to hedge their investment on the FBI considering the growth of the area but I can't speak for their wallets.
Well, if that's the case, let's hope the FBI does in fact choose Greenbelt. I'd be very interested to see what the owners would do with the mall then. If not, I'd rather they just sell it to someone willing to invest a bit more so the community can get something they have deserved for decades.

If The Mall at Prince George's transforms into a solid Class A mall with a more upscale retail mix promised by PREIT, its owners, it may slowly kill off Beltway Plaza Mall. Then it would be a case of too little too late and they will have to radically transform the mall in order to compete with a redeveloped Mall at Prince George's. Or as you said, do very little, perhaps opening it up to a buyout.

Old 11-08-2016, 08:00 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Well, if that's the case, let's hope the FBI does in fact choose Greenbelt. I'd be very interested to see what the owners would do with the mall then. If not, I'd rather they just sell it to someone willing to invest a bit more so the community can get something they have deserved for decades.

If The Mall at Prince George's transforms into a solid Class A mall with a more upscale retail mix promised by PREIT, its owners, it may slowly kill off Beltway Plaza Mall. Then it would be a case of too little too late and they will have to radically transform the mall in order to compete with a redeveloped Mall at Prince George's. Or as you said, do very little, perhaps opening it up to a buyout.
I would love to see the plans they had pre-housing bust come back to the table. Turning Beltway into a mixed use project. Revamping the apartments behind Beltway into something more upscale or converting them into condos and townhomes sans the Mall at Prince George's.

Old 12-03-2016, 05:55 AM

23 posts, read 23,412 times
The last i was told the FBI is coming at the old Landover

mall site not beltway plaza. And they going to have to get rid of the maple ridge apartments

Old 12-03-2016, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missey8410 View Post

mall site not beltway plaza. And they going to have to get rid of the maple ridge apartments
There has been no decision from the GSA yet on which of the three sites they are choosing for the new FB headquarters. That decision has been postponed until early 2017.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:25 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Quote:

While the decision has been postponed till 2017 I have heard the same thing, they want Landover.No matter what it will be good for the county.

Old 12-10-2016, 01:14 PM

469 posts, read 549,383 times
Quote:

What does Maple Ridge have to do with anything? Its no where near the property, Landover Mall site is very big

Old 12-10-2016, 07:47 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mos82 View Post
What does Maple Ridge have to do with anything? Its no where near the property, Landover Mall site is very big
It's directly across the street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland