Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 AM

712 posts, read 1,091,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gummywork_89 View Post
Thank you all for the reply. I was really surprised at how nice Ft. Washington is. Everyone at work tells me that it's dangerous. It looked really nice to me and I lived in really bad parts of Los Angeles before such as Long Beach and East Los Angeles, so I don't really understand when someone is trying to tell me that Ft. Washington is a bad area.
People like to paint a broad brush stroke over all of Prince George's County and the whole county suffers from the "dangerous" perception because of a few bad areas. There are many nice areas in the county, with Ft. Washington being one of them. I grew up in New Orleans during the high crime, "murder capital one of the world" years in the 90s and after moving up here people at my job told me to stay away from PG county. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. After seeing most of the county for myself, I've found many parts to be safe, quiet, and a welcome change to what I'm used to. And even some of the worst areas pale in comparison to what I've encountered growing up. I'm sure it'll be the same for you, after having lived in bad parts of LA. Good luck on your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 06:55 AM

11 posts, read 10,553 times
Quote:
Hello everyone:

We have been looking at housing in MD. I work in Mt. Vernon Alexandria and my spouse works at the Suitland Federal Center. We have been looking for houses in MD because they appear to be half the price as in VA. So far we have attended a few open houses in Ft. Washington, and I must say I never knew Ft. Washington was so beautiful. Nice tree lined streets well-kept homes. However, I have also been looking into La Plata, MD and Waldorf, MD. These two areas appeal to me more than Ft. Washington because of all the retail options nearby. I must say I enjoy suburban living much more than city living and I don't mind a commute. No kids, so schools are not important, but it would be nice to not have to worry about private schools in the future. Right now we live in Old Town Alexandria. I must say it's not for me. I enjoy living in sprawl a little yard and plentiful parking which is why I'm leaning towards the suburbs. We are looking for homes under 1.2 million. Honestly, the cheaper the better. I seen some homes I love in the 300k range in Waldorf and Ft. Washington. Any other areas I need to look?
Check out Clinton and Brandywine. Also, there are some homes in Ft Washington (Tantalion) that are back in a community; away from the stores. Some homes are also in your price range. I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more questions. I'm here to help. Best wishes

Old 10-08-2016, 05:37 AM

35 posts, read 65,833 times
In the past 2 years, we've owned a home in Accokeek (right on the FW line) and now Bryans Road, MD. We love, love, love this southern Maryland area! First, FW is very safe. It has beautiful parks and views of the Potomac. Accokeek is very similar with fewer resources but close enough to FW, Waldorf, Alexandria, and DC, that you can get everything you need in a short drive. We now live in Bryans Road which we also love. It's more affordable than FW or Accokeek and in Charles County with MUCH lower taxes.

Commuting on 210, or any road in the DC area for that matter, can be a nightmare. The further you live from employment in this area, either the earlier or later you need to leave to avoid terrible traffic. My hubby leaves before 5:30 am to get to Tysons each morning. Takes him about 45 minutes. If he gets out after 5:30, his commute easily DOUBLES! He's home by 3pm most days. He has coworkers that don't leave their PG county or further out VA homes until 10:30 or 11am and work until 7 or 8pm just trying to avoid traffic. That's the DC area for you. Good luck and I hope you found a great home!

Old 10-08-2016, 09:47 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskmd View Post
Honestly, I could never, ever live in Dunkirk, North Beach, Prince Frederick area ever again.....its so far from everything, no shopping options...no nothing!!! The only good thing is schools!

I just hated living there so much!!!! I moved from there about 6 years ago and still nothing has improved around there. I have family members that still live in the area, so at least once or twice a yearI go there.

If commute is not a problem for you, I would recomend Waldorf. Suburban feel, nice affordable housing, but not too far from DC and plenty of shopping.
Well what do you expect in a rural/semi-rural area? The demographics aren't there for what you want, and not everyone's life revolves around shopping.

Back to the question, thousands of people do the commute out of Southern Maryland every day. Your times out of Calvert are good unless RTE 4 has an accident on it. Then the sky's the limit.

As mentioned, the amenities aren't here that some can't seem to live without.

Old 10-08-2016, 11:37 PM

2,429 posts, read 3,564,578 times
Quote:
Hello everyone:

We have been looking at housing in MD. I work in Mt. Vernon Alexandria and my spouse works at the Suitland Federal Center. We have been looking for houses in MD because they appear to be half the price as in VA. So far we have attended a few open houses in Ft. Washington, and I must say I never knew Ft. Washington was so beautiful. Nice tree lined streets well-kept homes. However, I have also been looking into La Plata, MD and Waldorf, MD. These two areas appeal to me more than Ft. Washington because of all the retail options nearby. I must say I enjoy suburban living much more than city living and I don't mind a commute. No kids, so schools are not important, but it would be nice to not have to worry about private schools in the future. Right now we live in Old Town Alexandria. I must say it's not for me. I enjoy living in sprawl a little yard and plentiful parking which is why I'm leaning towards the suburbs. We are looking for homes under 1.2 million. Honestly, the cheaper the better. I seen some homes I love in the 300k range in Waldorf and Ft. Washington. Any other areas I need to look?
I also recommend Ft. Washington. Like another poster, I have lived in Captain's Cove area for about 13 years now and love it. The only downside (at the moment) would be the proximity to shopping but it is between the Harbor and Waldorf. Not that far from Clinton and Alexandria so, although not walkable, there is access to shopping. I know that Livingston Square where the Giant used to be is on the books for a renovation and other developments will come online in the next 5 to 10 years. You should also check out Fort Washington Acres (Caruso Homes - Fort Washington Acres). Its a new development of about 60 SFH from 450K to 600K. Its across the street from the post office, next door to the Hospital, down the road from the new police station, and a close walk from Safeway. It may be worth a look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland