Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2016, 12:04 PM

1 posts, read 867 times

Advertisements

I and my husband shift pretty soon to MD as he has landed a job at college park, MD. Based upon my research, Montgomery county has the best schools as I have a 4.5 year old special child who will start elementary school pretty soon. He can attend a elementary school with special assistance. My specific questions are
1.Which school district is the best which caters needs of a young special child.

We have a budget of 1500$ to 1900$ per month for rent accommodation where in we look for a 2 bedroom condo/apartment with gym and children play area.

My husband is happy to drive 30 to 35mins one way if we land a good school for my son

Upon research, bethesda and Potomac has good schools but how about Takoma Park and SILVER spring area?? How are the schools there as they are nearer to college park. My number priority is a very good elementary school and safe area for us to move about easily. I am very confused.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 12:22 PM

13,346 posts, read 26,855,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varija View Post
Upon research, bethesda and Potomac has good schools but how about Takoma Park and SILVER spring area?? How are the schools there as they are nearer to college park. My number priority is a very good elementary school and safe area for us to move about easily. I am very confused.
Silver Spring will have some decent options, such as the Forest Knolls Elementary School in the Four Corners area. Be sure to check with the county about placing your child, as they have some separate schools for kids with serious special needs.

BTW, Montgomery County runs the school district, not the towns, so there should be the same curriculum within any Montgomery County school. I think you are priced out of Bethesda and Potomac anyway. Concentrate on being close to work but stay with MoCo. Some parts of Takoma Park are in Price George County.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:45 AM

7 posts, read 23,224 times
Varija, Google "Child Find Montgomery County MD". It will direct you to the Special Education page. Our son was assessed at age four. He received services beginning in pre-school. MCPS has served us very well. In two weeks, our special needs son (speech/language delays, ADHD, sensory integration disorder, poor fine and gross motor skills) heads to college as a freshman and for the first time since age four, without accommodations. Also check out Special Olympics Montgomery County. It is very active beginning with kindergarten through high school. Good luck. We have been very happy with MCPS.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,104 times
This answer may come a little too late, but just in case, this website provides info about special ed in Montgomery County schools: MC School Reviews | Reviews of Special Education Programs in Montgomery County, Maryland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland