Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:31 PM

12 posts, read 13,323 times

Advertisements

Hi Y'all!

So my husband and I currently live in Knoxville, Tennessee, but we're looking at moving somewhere that's more progressive and definitely more lgbt friendly, with a bit more to offer as well.

We've done extensive research that led us to consider Maryland, but now we're trying to figure out which communities would be the best fit.

A little bit about us:

• Both in our early 30s
• Both currently work from home. I may end up looking for a job locally, probably not in DC, but haven't ruled it out either. Have seen some opportunities in Bethesda as well that caught my eye.
• We're basic and kind of boring lol - bars and Nightlife are of no interest to us.
• We're total suburbanites - love having access to good shopping, chain restaurants (although appreciate local ones too), movie theaters, etc. Walkable areas are really appealing also.
• Being from the South, have basically no concept of what it's like to use a Mass Transit system, but it sure sounds nice. It might be convenient to live close to a rail station so we could take a train into DC.
• No kids, don't plan to have them either, so schools not super important to us. My lesbian cousin may end up moving with her wife-to-be as well and they may want kids, but that's a secondary concern for us.

So far we think we're considering:
Rockville
Gaithersburg
Laurel
Germantown
Crofton

Open to suggestions though.

We like newer areas. Safety is a priority. Reasonable commute to employment centers is a medium priority in case I do decide to work in the area. Convenient restaurants and shopping are high priorities. Parks and community amenities would be nice. Want it to be a lgbt friendly accepting place, and it would be nice if it weren't a rarity to see other gay couples!

We're both introverts, but also wouldn't mind places that offer some decent opportunities to meet other people our age.

Really appreciate any thoughts and feedback! I hope this wasn't too scattered, just exploring this process with so many thoughts and have never lived outside of Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 09:01 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
The area's expensive, so the most important factor is your budget and size of apartment/house you need for the price.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
The area's expensive, so the most important factor is your budget and size of apartment/house you need for the price.
Budget is $1800-2400 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment, we’ve seen several options that look nice in that range

Old 04-13-2019, 11:32 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,692,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoroughlyResearched View Post
Budget is $1800-2400 a month for a 2 bedroom apartment, we’ve seen several options that look nice in that range
I think downtown Rockville would make sense. It fits in your budget and is walkable to restaurants, movie theater, library, grocery store, etc. (you'd have to drive 5-10 minutes to Rockville Pike for most shopping). It's also extremely diverse and welcoming, has a metro station, is clean/safe, and is suburban/"boring" (it has a lively European-esque public square ringed with restaurants and a couple of bars, but it's a dinner/happy hour scene as opposed to a late-night, rowdy scene). The other places you're considering have some of those attributes, but Rockville checks all the boxes you mention.

Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,984,315 times
I agree! Downtown Rockville is perfect for your needs. If that feels just a little too much like a "city" check out King Farm or The Rio just up the road. Can't go wrong with any of these. :-)

Old 04-14-2019, 09:41 AM

698 posts, read 1,052,143 times
You might want to look at Columbia. Walkable areas,parkland, some decent restaurants and shopping. Between Balto. and D.C. I lived in that general area over 18 years ago,so can't say what it might be like now. But it was always very amenity laden.Expensive, as you might expect.

Catsy

Old 04-14-2019, 09:57 AM

490 posts, read 924,891 times
Here are the area I recommend you check out The Rio Washingtonian, Crown Farm, Rockville Town Square, Pike and Rose, Kings Farm, Germantown Town Center

Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,437 times
In addition to all the areas people mentioned also check out PG County. It is overall cheaper than MoCo because the school system isn't that great. Specifically Hyattsville, College Park, and Riverdale Park are great places. Those communities are along the Green line which is goes through some of the more popular areas in DC like U St/Shaw, Columbia Heights, Chinatown, and the Navy Yard/Capital Waterfront areas. There are also a lot of parks and bike trails in the area that also connect to DC.

Old 04-14-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
I agree! Downtown Rockville is perfect for your needs. If that feels just a little too much like a "city" check out King Farm or The Rio just up the road. Can't go wrong with any of these. :-)
Rockville is high on our list, so this is great to hear! We've found some awesome apartments up there and near King Farm.

In general the whole Germantown, Rockville, Gaithersburg, Bethesda corridor seems to have a lot of options.

Anybody have any insight into some of the others we've looked at? Namely, what's Laurel like around the Windsor at Contee Crossing complex? Is it safe, and do you think it would fit our criteria?

What about the Waugh Chapel area near Odenton / Crofton?

We're starting to plan out a visit probably in June to check everything out and tour some apartments. Want to make sure we look at the things that make the most sense, but that we don't overlook any possibilities either! It's a little overwhelming! You all seem to have some really awesome towns and communities (at least from what the internet tells me)!

Old 04-15-2019, 10:31 AM

103 posts, read 184,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoroughlyResearched View Post
Hi Y'all!

So my husband and I currently live in Knoxville, Tennessee, but we're looking at moving somewhere that's more progressive and definitely more lgbt friendly, with a bit more to offer as well.

We've done extensive research that led us to consider Maryland, but now we're trying to figure out which communities would be the best fit.

A little bit about us:

• Both in our early 30s
• Both currently work from home. I may end up looking for a job locally, probably not in DC, but haven't ruled it out either. Have seen some opportunities in Bethesda as well that caught my eye.
• We're basic and kind of boring lol - bars and Nightlife are of no interest to us.
• We're total suburbanites - love having access to good shopping, chain restaurants (although appreciate local ones too), movie theaters, etc. Walkable areas are really appealing also.
• Being from the South, have basically no concept of what it's like to use a Mass Transit system, but it sure sounds nice. It might be convenient to live close to a rail station so we could take a train into DC.
• No kids, don't plan to have them either, so schools not super important to us. My lesbian cousin may end up moving with her wife-to-be as well and they may want kids, but that's a secondary concern for us.

So far we think we're considering:
Rockville
Gaithersburg
Laurel
Germantown
Crofton

Open to suggestions though.

We like newer areas. Safety is a priority. Reasonable commute to employment centers is a medium priority in case I do decide to work in the area. Convenient restaurants and shopping are high priorities. Parks and community amenities would be nice. Want it to be a lgbt friendly accepting place, and it would be nice if it weren't a rarity to see other gay couples!

We're both introverts, but also wouldn't mind places that offer some decent opportunities to meet other people our age.

Really appreciate any thoughts and feedback! I hope this wasn't too scattered, just exploring this process with so many thoughts and have never lived outside of Tennessee.

I know very little of Montgomery County compared to other posters, but my first thought reading this is Annapolis Towne Center @ Parole or nearby apartments in zip 21401. You've got shopping centers but a 'faux main street' area such as at the Towne Center, and easy access to downtown Annapolis, plus Route 50 for commuting (to DC; I97 takes you towards Baltimore).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland