Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-18-2017, 03:34 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Reputation: 3780

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
No (limited?) public parking.
They could take over that abandoned Jerry's Sub or Taco bell that's been closed for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-18-2017, 04:44 PM
 
340 posts, read 376,383 times
Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I think that is a bad location as well. Personally, I think College Park will survive without a Chik-Fil-A. New restaurants are being added every year. We don't need a lot of fast food restaurants.

And the reason why Chik-Fil-A is not doing so well in Silver Spring is because there are plenty better places to eat. lol They need to get over themselves. If it was that bad, they would have closed their Silver Spring location. But I see they are still open. So it must not be that bad.

I don't want them at PG Plaza either. They wanted a drive-thru at that one in the parking lot. But that goes counter to what they are trying to do at and around the mall. It would be the ONLY drive-thru restaurant in the PG Plaza district area.

The Enclave has been without retail for 5 years. Perhaps they should put one there.
First, I'm pretty sure UMD has a Chick-Fil-A in a food court on campus already, so this one is about getting one for the public moreso it seems. The Chick-Fil-A in Silver Spring isn't doing well because of lack of access...Chick-Fil-A needs to either be in a drive thru or in a food court...otherwise, it's essentially a fast casual restaurant. It's also lacking a playground and free parking in Silver Spring. The food is good, I'm sure I'd go often if it were in College Park, but it does attract very very long lines something that I don't think belongs in a college town in that form.

I'd like it at PG Plaza, right on the corner beside BB&T in front of TJ Maxx. Chick-Fil-A is different than most other drive thru restaurants, it's a draw.

Last edited by DoughLow805; 03-18-2017 at 05:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2017, 07:32 PM
 
2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Reputation: 2105
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
They could take over that abandoned Jerry's Sub or Taco bell that's been closed for years.
Actually, I was hoping the Green Turtle would occupy the empty space at the Enclave, moving the entertainment area further north and perhaps leading to the faster redevelopment of the area between the University View and the Enclave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-19-2017, 06:47 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Reputation: 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
Actually, I was hoping the Green Turtle would occupy the empty space at the Enclave, moving the entertainment area further north and perhaps leading to the faster redevelopment of the area between the University View and the Enclave.
There are other retail spaces in the Enclave. Though I'm not sure any retail space on the Enclave that is big enough for a full-service restaurant with a bar.

There are more retail spaces opening up in the next few years at the College Park Metro, the southern gateway where Plato's Diner currently sits, etc. THere's also more space at Riverdale Park station. Shoot the Green Turtle an email and see f they'd like to locate somewhere in College Park. I have contacted a number of restaurants and had them consider College Park. Including Chef Geoff. I asked them to take over the restaurant that flooded by the College Park airport. Worth a shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Reputation: 3780
College Park's Annual Development Update

http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/develop...%2014%2017.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 04:58 AM
 
20 posts, read 33,363 times
Reputation: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
College Park's Annual Development Update

http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/develop...%2014%2017.pdf
Looks like CalAtlantic will be the builder of the 45 townhomes on the Metropolitan property. They have decent homes up in Beltsville. Although I really don't like the location, Monument Village across the street has been struggling with high vacancies, and it's motel city up there on Route 1... not even remotely walkable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 06:35 AM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
Reputation: 3780
SHA has plans to redevelop RT 1 with bike lanes, wider sidewalks, sidewalks where there are no sidewalks, etc. to make that part of College Park along RT. 1 more walkable and bikeable. So, it will coincide with all the development in the north.

With the development of a grocery store, Lidl, that part of College Park will grow in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 03:39 PM
 
220 posts, read 184,390 times
Reputation: 42
Could College Park ever get Google to open an office here? With the M Square Research Park and the fact that one of Google's co founders is a UMD graduate, I thought it would make some sense.

Google has an office in Reston, VA but recently Reston has been in the news because the Reston Town Center took away free parking, which is hurting the businesses in the Town Center and is causing a lot of controversy (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.9b358b6299e6). Reston Town Center is also where Google happens to be. While an office like Google wouldn't be affected by pay parking like restaurants would be, it sort of makes RTC less of a cool place as it used to be when Google first moved there around 8-10 years ago.

While College Park may not be an obvious location for Google, did Reston make much sense? I would think College Park provides cheaper rent, closer to D.C. where I'm sure Google does a lot of lobbying. Maybe closer to the metro station than the new Reston metro line. I wonder if College Park officials have ever tried to get Google on board or if its just not realistic. With the new hotels, restaurants, and such opening up I think CP could be better positioned to attract a company like this than when Google first moved to the D.C. area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 05:18 PM
 
662 posts, read 782,508 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
Could College Park ever get Google to open an office here? With the M Square Research Park and the fact that one of Google's co founders is a UMD graduate, I thought it would make some sense.

Google has an office in Reston, VA but recently Reston has been in the news because the Reston Town Center took away free parking, which is hurting the businesses in the Town Center and is causing a lot of controversy (https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.9b358b6299e6). Reston Town Center is also where Google happens to be. While an office like Google wouldn't be affected by pay parking like restaurants would be, it sort of makes RTC less of a cool place as it used to be when Google first moved there around 8-10 years ago.

While College Park may not be an obvious location for Google, did Reston make much sense? I would think College Park provides cheaper rent, closer to D.C. where I'm sure Google does a lot of lobbying. Maybe closer to the metro station than the new Reston metro line. I wonder if College Park officials have ever tried to get Google on board or if its just not realistic. With the new hotels, restaurants, and such opening up I think CP could be better positioned to attract a company like this than when Google first moved to the D.C. area

That would be great if the university's lobbyist and the city could get together and make this happen. Since we know city officials read this thread...HINT HINT guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-24-2017, 05:19 PM
 
662 posts, read 782,508 times
Reputation: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavensbee View Post
Looks like CalAtlantic will be the builder of the 45 townhomes on the Metropolitan property. They have decent homes up in Beltsville. Although I really don't like the location, Monument Village across the street has been struggling with high vacancies, and it's motel city up there on Route 1... not even remotely walkable.
Where is the Metropolitan property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top