Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-30-2021, 05:14 PM
 
220 posts, read 184,628 times
Reputation: 42

Advertisements

I feel like Trader Joe's coming to CP will be a good draw for other companies. Maybe not as pronounced as "Whole Foods effect," but I think there is definitely a Trader Joe's effect. Their Union Market DC store opened in early 2018 but I assume was announced a year or two earlier, and we know that area has boomed. 14th St in DC, it just seems like they tend to have a good pulse for neighborhoods that are on the rise. I hope that bodes well for CP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-30-2021, 05:40 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Reputation: 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
I feel like Trader Joe's coming to CP will be a good draw for other companies. Maybe not as pronounced as "Whole Foods effect," but I think there is definitely a Trader Joe's effect. Their Union Market DC store opened in early 2018 but I assume was announced a year or two earlier, and we know that area has boomed. 14th St in DC, it just seems like they tend to have a good pulse for neighborhoods that are on the rise. I hope that bodes well for CP
I have a feeling that part of DC was going to boom regardless of Trader Joes by it being part of NoMA DC.

https://washington.org/dc-neighborhoods/noma

However, for a town like CP, I feel like Trader Joes will have more influence than it had in NoMA. It will fill in the gaps that Whole Foods didn't as far as attracting other retailers and residents.

College Park will thus have the holy trinity: Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and two mass transit options.

Still waiting on my steakhouse though. Ruth's Chris, Capital Grille, or something. It is the unicorn retail for CP.

Apple Store? Maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2021, 05:47 PM
 
220 posts, read 184,628 times
Reputation: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
I have a feeling that part of DC was going to boom regardless of Trader Joes by it being part of NoMA DC.

https://washington.org/dc-neighborhoods/noma

However, for a town like CP, I feel like Trader Joes will have more influence than it had in NoMA. It will fill in the gaps that Whole Foods didn't as far as attracting other retailers and residents.

College Park will thus have the holy trinity: Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and two mass transit options.

Still waiting on my steakhouse though. Ruth's Chris, Capital Grille, or something. It is the unicorn retail for CP.

Apple Store? Maybe?

I don't know about the steakhouse, I do want more independent restaurants of high quality, its too bad Kapnos failed but I think that was moreso the owner/chef's issues than the location. Maybe we should try to draw UMD alumni, many of whom are doing very well in DC restaurant scene, to open restaurants.


Xiquet in DC, Michelin star Spanish restaurant, owned by UMD alum Danny Lledo.
RASA, a fast casual Indian spot that opened 1st in DC but expanded to Pentagon City, is helmed by 2 UMD alums. There are some more that I am just blanking on.



The steakhouse I like in DC isn't a full blown chain but its 2 locations, St. Anselm was in NYC and expanded to Union Market. Place like that would be cool. But a good college town has to have unique things and while a Ruth's Chris is better than nothing, hope we can lure some good independent spots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2021, 06:02 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Reputation: 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
I don't know about the steakhouse, I do want more independent restaurants of high quality, its too bad Kapnos failed but I think that was moreso the owner/chef's issues than the location. Maybe we should try to draw UMD alumni, many of whom are doing very well in DC restaurant scene, to open restaurants.


Xiquet in DC, Michelin star Spanish restaurant, owned by UMD alum Danny Lledo.
RASA, a fast casual Indian spot that opened 1st in DC but expanded to Pentagon City, is helmed by 2 UMD alums. There are some more that I am just blanking on.



The steakhouse I like in DC isn't a full blown chain but its 2 locations, St. Anselm was in NYC and expanded to Union Market. Place like that would be cool. But a good college town has to have unique things and while a Ruth's Chris is better than nothing, hope we can lure some good independent spots.
I like Urban Butcher in Silver Spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2021, 12:49 PM
 
2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times
Reputation: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Hmmmmmm. Wonder what they saw to change their minds. Lidl? After all any university town will have a huge number of international staff and students who are open to international foods. Students in particular would be okay with processed foods.

Next big question, will they be able to sell wine?
No, and for the same reasons that Whole Foods Riverdale doesn't sell wine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-31-2021, 07:46 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Reputation: 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
No, and for the same reasons that Whole Foods Riverdale doesn't sell wine.
SHoppers and Yes Organic Sells wine. First time for everything. Personally, I think Prince George's County needs to come into the 21st century and join its neighbors in allowing wine in grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2021, 08:38 AM
 
2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times
Reputation: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
SHoppers and Yes Organic Sells wine. First time for everything. Personally, I think Prince George's County needs to come into the 21st century and join its neighbors in allowing wine in grocery stores.
It's not a county issue, it's a state issue.
Prior to the law last being changed, each grocery chain was permitted one license per county. When that was changed existing licenses were grandfathered in, but new operators such as Whole Foods/Harris Teeter can't get a license. No store whether independent or chain can now get a license if it is greater than 10,000 sqft. That's the keep "Total Wine Out" amendment.

I can only presume that the Yes Organic comes in under 10,000 sqft. TJ is typically 11-15K sqft, and toward the higher end if they carry wine. It's possible in theory that they could get in under 10,000 and have wine, but I don't see it as likely.

Edit to add:

Uli Currie got into trouble with the license change at Shoppers CP.

https://dbknews.com/0999/12/31/arc-y...ogqsymukt3syu/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...108-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2021, 12:47 PM
 
18,323 posts, read 10,678,119 times
Reputation: 8603
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Hmmmmmm. Wonder what they saw to change their minds. Lidl? After all any university town will have a huge number of international staff and students who are open to international foods. Students in particular would be okay with processed foods.

Next big question, will they be able to sell wine?
No, only a few small grocery establishments in Maryland sell it and I think(not sure ) none in PG county .Montgomery County is a different case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-01-2021, 03:48 PM
 
Location: College Park
206 posts, read 210,199 times
Reputation: 37
County liquor law says licenses can only be given to stores of no more than 10,000 square feet. A few larger stores have licenses because they predate this restriction and so were grandfathered in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2021, 05:03 PM
 
Location: It's in the name!
7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Reputation: 3780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
County liquor law says licenses can only be given to stores of no more than 10,000 square feet. A few larger stores have licenses because they predate this restriction and so were grandfathered in.
Are these the ten commandments or laws that can be changed? My goodness. lol You'd think the county got the hint that the rest of the region has left them twisting in the wind when it comes to having wine in grocery stores. I mean in Bible thumping Indiana you can buy hard liquor is CVS for cryin out loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top