Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2021, 10:16 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
The liquor stores do lobby but it's the wholesalers who are the big guns. There's even an "alcohol" day in Annapolis when the industry goes to lobby.
Wouldn't the wholesalers want more outlets for their product?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2021, 11:30 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wouldn't the wholesalers want more outlets for their product?
Not necessarily, unless it can be shown to increase per capita consumption significantly. It's easier for wholesalers to "control" small independent stores than chains, and make purchases of one item, conditional on purchases of another. Illegal, but it goes on. Wholesalers often have to employ extra staff to merchandise product in the chains. That eats into their profit. In any event, the wholesalers don't decide what goes on the grocery shelves. That's decided by the producers and the chains.
The independent stores are not bereft of lobbying power either.

Old 11-04-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
Not necessarily, unless it can be shown to increase per capita consumption significantly. It's easier for wholesalers to "control" small independent stores than chains, and make purchases of one item, conditional on purchases of another. Illegal, but it goes on. Wholesalers often have to employ extra staff to merchandise product in the chains. That eats into their profit. In any event, the wholesalers don't decide what goes on the grocery shelves. That's decided by the producers and the chains.
The independent stores are not bereft of lobbying power either.
Hmmmm. So, the legislature caters to the wholesalers while making it less convenient for the actual constituents. Sounds about right. lol

Somehow I think the current status quo has its days numbered. Maryland is becoming the outlier when it comes to alcohol sales. I just don't see their argument being justified much longer.

Old 11-04-2021, 06:14 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times
Quote:
Hmmmm. So, the legislature caters to the wholesalers while making it less convenient for the actual constituents. Sounds about right. lol

Somehow I think the current status quo has its days numbered. Maryland is becoming the outlier when it comes to alcohol sales. I just don't see their argument being justified much longer.
I agree. I believe about 40 +/- states allow wine in grocery stores. There have been and will continue to be attempts in Annapolis to introduce legislation permitting alcohol sales.

Old 11-05-2021, 12:43 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,629 times
Quote:
I like Urban Butcher in Silver Spring.
I actually think a Green Turtle would thrive in CP, with students and locals, especially on game days. Looney's does pretty good so having another decent restaurant/pub on the southside of town would be good, especially to help anchor the new Aster development.

Moby Dick House of Kabob is here already but just on campus. I think it would boom if it was off campus but not too far away from students, i.e. at the Varsity near where Bobby's Burger was or across the street at Campus Village shops where Taqueria Habanero is located. They would get more locals like me and still be able to keep their current customers that are primarily students.

Old 11-05-2021, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I actually think a Green Turtle would thrive in CP, with students and locals, especially on game days. Looney's does pretty good so having another decent restaurant/pub on the southside of town would be good, especially to help anchor the new Aster development.

Moby Dick House of Kabob is here already but just on campus. I think it would boom if it was off campus but not too far away from students, i.e. at the Varsity near where Bobby's Burger was or across the street at Campus Village shops where Taqueria Habanero is located. They would get more locals like me and still be able to keep their current customers that are primarily students.
I agree. College Park is moving in the right direction though. THe restaurant business can be very volatile. I mean We lost Kapnos to a weird inside lawsuit that tanked the whole company. Lost OMG Steakhouse at UMD as well. Bobby flay had good burgers and I liked their spiked shakes. Meh.

Here's to more exciting opportunities ahead to land great establishments for College Park. .

Old 11-06-2021, 07:12 PM

123 posts, read 76,403 times
I just finished reading the 1,109 posts in this thread plus most of the not-yet-broken links therein, and wanted to thank everyone that contributed from the bottom of my heart. It was so instructive and fun to learn about the history of developments and retail in College Park! Also, very useful tips about the restaurants in the area, despite the blatantly wrong opinions about Habit burger by some

Old 11-06-2021, 08:44 PM

Interesting 2019 article on what Trader Joe's looks for in a demographic. I still feel they could have been here before Whole Foods and cleaned up. They waited until Whole Foods AND Lidl had time to settle in and obtain loyal customers. Meh.

Quote:
Mallinger said market research has shown a relationship between education and consumer choices. In that thinking, Mallinger explained, the more highly educated tend to travel more, likely to be drawn to the one-of-a-kind products at Trader Joe’s.
In an email, Trader Joe’s spokeswoman Friend-Daniel wouldn’t go so far as basing location on education levels but said the chain wants its customers to be “open to trying and learning about new and interesting products.” Further, she added, Trader Joe’s strives to offer customers value, with quality products at attractive prices.

Even though Trader Joe’s is value-driven, the chain still takes a hard look at an area’s income. Mallinger said the chain doesn’t feel its market is the wealthy, but it’s looking for an area with the disposable income that could command sizable store revenue.

Other area brokers and developers who approached Trader Joe’s around this time also were rebuffed: The chain told them it was focused on filling gaps around major metro areas before it would be ready for a region such as the Lehigh Valley.

https://www.mcall.com/business/mc-bi...sy4-story.html

Old 11-07-2021, 06:12 AM

123 posts, read 76,403 times
I remember when I moved here a few short years ago: I was told that the place to live was Bethesda. There may be more amenities over there, but the CP area has everything I'll ever need: all kinds of food, leafy safe neighborhoods, green spaces like Lake Artemesia, Greenbelt park or Patuxent wildlife refuge as well as a world-class university that brings in cultural events and people doing exciting research to the neighborhood (or a combination of both, such as "Science on tap" at the Hall CP).

Furthermore, it is super cool to see the growth of the area in real time. It was interesting to see the old posts complaining at how long all the projects were taking, when in the last two years projects have seemed to go from proposal to breaking ground in the blink of an eye (eg, the Hub, the Aspen, Union on Knox, the Standard, Tempo). It is incredible that College Park went from being a food desert to having within a 5 min drive a brand spanking new Lidl, Target express, Whole Foods, Safeway and a Trader Joe's on the way.

Also, given the frustrating national politics, it is refreshing to have sane politicians in charge. The city council may not get everything right, but they seem to genuinely try their best. The city hall is a good example, where they welcomed the partnership with the University, they made it work despite the price increases (I appreciate councilman Kabir always looking out to to be sure the city spends wisely, but I think this project was worth making an effort with the $20M that it ended up costing), in the best location, and the result seems fantastic: a beautiful building that will bring more office workers downtown, will give the city some panache, will make the city hall more accessible for citizens (I could barely find it before), will provide retail, and will bring a great public plaza for events and people to simply be.

Every time things change there is a risk, and the major transformation of downtown CP coming from the key projects of the City hall, the Aster, and the Union on Knox could go wrong if the place ends up soulless or with high vacancy rates. But most likely they will be successful, and when that happens, College Park will be an even more interesting place to live in

Old 11-07-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post
I remember when I moved here a few short years ago: I was told that the place to live was Bethesda. There may be more amenities over there, but the CP area has everything I'll ever need: all kinds of food, leafy safe neighborhoods, green spaces like Lake Artemesia, Greenbelt park or Patuxent wildlife refuge as well as a world-class university that brings in cultural events and people doing exciting research to the neighborhood (or a combination of both, such as "Science on tap" at the Hall CP).

Furthermore, it is super cool to see the growth of the area in real time. It was interesting to see the old posts complaining at how long all the projects were taking, when in the last two years projects have seemed to go from proposal to breaking ground in the blink of an eye (eg, the Hub, the Aspen, Union on Knox, the Standard, Tempo). It is incredible that College Park went from being a food desert to having within a 5 min drive a brand spanking new Lidl, Target express, Whole Foods, Safeway and a Trader Joe's on the way.

Also, given the frustrating national politics, it is refreshing to have sane politicians in charge. The city council may not get everything right, but they seem to genuinely try their best. The city hall is a good example, where they welcomed the partnership with the University, they made it work despite the price increases (I appreciate councilman Kabir always looking out to to be sure the city spends wisely, but I think this project was worth making an effort with the $20M that it ended up costing), in the best location, and the result seems fantastic: a beautiful building that will bring more office workers downtown, will give the city some panache, will make the city hall more accessible for citizens (I could barely find it before), will provide retail, and will bring a great public plaza for events and people to simply be.

Every time things change there is a risk, and the major transformation of downtown CP coming from the key projects of the City hall, the Aster, and the Union on Knox could go wrong if the place ends up soulless or with high vacancy rates. But most likely they will be successful, and when that happens, College Park will be an even more interesting place to live in
Thank you for sharing! Nice to have you in the forums!

If you thought there was frustration in 2016 when this thread was started, it was worse right after the housing crises in 2008. I'm very glad that College Park and Hyattsville both were able to recover and continue to grow into the great places they were destined to be.

Some of us remember the promise of East Campus back in 2008. Ironic how now there is the Aster south of campus that has a slight town center look and the old East Campus site still just has the hotel and The Hall CP.

https://activerain.com/blogsview/330...-a-town-center

East Campus (current site of The Hotel at UMD) never seemed to get off the ground. I think it went through three iterations and three developers before being abandoned. The article even mentions the Purple Line. Which is a 20+ year endeavor by local transit advocates and multiple administrations. The period a few years ago when the project was halted was very frustrating for a lot of us. Even with a new contractor signed, construction won't resume until next spring. It was supposed to be completed next year. Now it is projected to finish in 2024.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 11-07-2021 at 07:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland