Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2021, 06:01 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
An act of congress to sell wine. lol

Wow. Didn't know Harris Teeter was in the area that long. But of course, time has flown this past decade.
IIRC they were in Arlington maybe 5 years before DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2021, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 532 times
Default Been there few times

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post
Has anyone been to the Hall CP behind The Hotel?

I went to one of the "Science on tap" events where a professor comes to talk about a cool topic in an accessible way, and it was fantastic: really great space indoors and outdoors, and beautiful mural. The food was mostly great, with the crab dip being the best I ever had, a pretty great shrimp stir fry, and then, there was the pizza... Initially I was impressed because the tomato sauce was juicy and fresh, and the dough was thin and well done but... it was quite tasteless! It seemed as if they forgot to add salt at all

I'm thinking of giving the pizza a second try, but it would be helpful to hear other people's experiences beforehand.In any case, I whole heartedly recommend the place.

I am a BIG fan of the Sunday brunch!

Old 12-09-2021, 06:33 PM

123 posts, read 76,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Very Man Himself View Post
The Prince Georges delegation in Annapolis will next week consider a 2022 bill proposal, that would permit the transfer of a liquor license from almost anywhere in the county, to only the 7100-7200 blocks of Baltimore Ave. in College Park. Looks like TJ will have grog. This maneuver to bypass other restrictions in state law has happened with other new developments (Laurel, Woodmore,) in recent years, so I'll be surprised if it doesn't pass.

Separately, after 15 years Harris Teeter is closing one of its four stores in DC in January. Potomac Ave. SE.

So this bill would allow TJ to skirt the 10k sqft limit to sell alcohol? Also, is there anything linking this to TJ? Couldn't it be for other businesses in those blocks?

In any case, these alcohol laws are so outdated.

Old 12-09-2021, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Article about the Discovery District:

https://technical.ly/dc/2021/12/07/a...very-district/
It doesn't really have new information and reads a bit like a PR release, but I guess it is good to have it out there. Still, it is hard to believe the $3.5B valuation of IonQ. Unless there's something truly unexpected, quantum computers shouldn't be really useful for a fairly long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raine967 View Post
I am a BIG fan of the Sunday brunch!
Interesting! I think I had heard someone in another forum also mention the brunch, so I should go there in the morning some time. Thanks!

Old 12-10-2021, 06:57 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
It doesn't really have new information and reads a bit like a PR release, but I guess it is good to have it out there. Still, it is hard to believe the $3.5B valuation of IonQ. Unless there's something truly unexpected, quantum computers shouldn't be really useful for a fairly long time.
Valuation is part of the stock price which had a run up a few weeks ago. The stock price has now since dropped a bit. That run up was because people saw that Amazon, Google, and Microsoft became investors, partners.

Apparently, IONQ has found a different method of quantum computing. Maybe that's where their value is. I wouldn't say they won't be used for a long time. I see them being used inside this decade.

https://ionq.com/technology

Old 12-10-2021, 07:46 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,570,921 times
Quote:
So this bill would allow TJ to skirt the 10k sqft limit to sell alcohol? Also, is there anything linking this to TJ? Couldn't it be for other businesses in those blocks?

In any case, these alcohol laws are so outdated.
Good point, I had forgotten about that. AFAICT, the transfer applies only to off-premise licenses, because there is little difficulty getting a new on-premise license. In the past, these changes have been at the behest of the developers, (as opposed to license applicants), who want an off-premise option.

Wegmans in Crofton, Harris Teeter in Bowie have gotten around the 10K sqft limit, by joint venture with adjacent liquor stores. In Crofton, it's next door, in Bowie, it's under the same entrance but separated.
The licenses are held by "independent" individuals, but the inventory/prices, etc. are "controlled" by corporate. Wegmans has also done this in Owings Mills, Hunt Valley, and other states.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:26 PM

The end of an era. The last Knox box has now been demolished (the odd one out in the corner of Terrapin Row). This is a nice picture showing the clearing and grading for Aspen Heights (two 9-story buildings with 434 beds and 2,080 sf of retail) and The Hub (a 9 story building with 464 beds and 1,022 sq of retail). It is kinda nifty that they are both building exactly at the same time, thus minimizing the duration of the construction nuisance.

Old 12-11-2021, 07:42 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
The end of an era. The last Knox box has now been demolished (the odd one out in the corner of Terrapin Row). This is a nice picture showing the clearing and grading for Aspen Heights (two 9-story buildings with 434 beds and 2,080 sf of retail) and The Hub (a 9 story building with 464 beds and 1,022 sq of retail). It is kinda nifty that they are both building exactly at the same time, thus minimizing the duration of the construction nuisance.
I'm absolutely floored at how many separate projects are under construction in South Campus alone. A decade ago we were happy to have two or three on the entire Rt. 1 strip. Now there are four just within about a 3 block area.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:18 AM

283 posts, read 322,886 times
Is something being built on the spot of the last Knox box or will that just be an open space? Seems like an odd place to build right in front of the Terrapin Row complex

Old 12-11-2021, 09:32 AM

283 posts, read 322,886 times
Article on new Hillel building

https://umdsbs.wordpress.com/2021/12...ars-of-delays/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland