Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2018, 08:14 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
It's huge.
Yeah. I saw the one opening up in Silver Spring. Never heard of it before. Still wanted my Sport & Health though. But I guess this will do. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 09:47 AM

206 posts, read 209,896 times
Default College Park parking

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Anyone else loath College Park's parking situation? It's REALLY expensive for a College Town. And I agree that at Bobby's, there is a small supply of parking spaces. I'm sure that retail space suffers a bit because of so few spaces. I'd go a lot more often if it was easier to park.

The city needs to invest more in Public parking garages as more retail comes online in that part of the city.

Downtown parking is almost always available, except for some football and basketball game days. In the summer much of the time it can be free. For instance, the City Hall parking lot and the city's parking garage are free after 5pm weekdays and all day on Saturdays from mid-May through mid-August. Sundays are free year round.

Some free parking is available in the mid-town area all the time. Street parking (3 hour limit) is available on Pontiac Street (4700 block, adjacent to the College Park Grill and Cambria Hotel). Also on Pontiac Street is access to the parking lot at the University owned office building behind the Best Western Plus Hotel. The lot is free and unrestricted on weekends and after 4pm on weekdays. With the upcoming opening of the new apartment building on Berwyn House Road some free on street parking should once again be available. This parking would also be restricted to two or three hours.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:10 PM

340 posts, read 376,383 times
Quote:
Yeah. I saw the one opening up in Silver Spring. Never heard of it before. Still wanted my Sport & Health though. But I guess this will do. :-)
Sports & Health is big box, Orange Theory is a chain upscale boutique fitness...CorePower, SoulCylce, FlyWheel, PureBarre would likely be their closest comps. These are places I didn't think I'd see here for over a very long time. So nabbing Orange Theory is probably the best landing regarding perception of the area's potential of all the gyms.

Old 08-20-2018, 06:11 PM

220 posts, read 184,390 times
https://dc.eater.com/2018/8/20/17759...o-college-park

A favorite D.C. taqueria is making the leap to Maryland for a second location. PoPville reported that the owners of Taqueria Habanero will soon open a restaurant at 8147 Baltimore Avenue in College Park.
“We are expecting to open within 3 to 4 months from now,” the restaurant wrote to Eater. “We will be serving the same menu with a few other new dishes. Habanero MD will still be authentic but with a modern touch for the College Park residents and students.”
Taqueria Habanero is inspired by the cuisine of Puebla, Mexico, and Washington Post critic Tim Carman fell in love with the restaurant’s house-made tortillas when he reviewed the taco shop back in 2014.

Old 08-24-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Downtown parking is almost always available, except for some football and basketball game days. In the summer much of the time it can be free. For instance, the City Hall parking lot and the city's parking garage are free after 5pm weekdays and all day on Saturdays from mid-May through mid-August. Sundays are free year round.

Some free parking is available in the mid-town area all the time. Street parking (3 hour limit) is available on Pontiac Street (4700 block, adjacent to the College Park Grill and Cambria Hotel). Also on Pontiac Street is access to the parking lot at the University owned office building behind the Best Western Plus Hotel. The lot is free and unrestricted on weekends and after 4pm on weekdays. With the upcoming opening of the new apartment building on Berwyn House Road some free on street parking should once again be available. This parking would also be restricted to two or three hours.
For now, I'll park behind the Cambria hotel in their parking garage.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:15 PM

This is not a good sign, Hotel at University of Maryland is suing Mike Isabella, owner of Kapnos Taverna. Isabella opening a restaurant in College Park was a big deal because he had great recognition in DC as a top restauranteur and I thought it would spur others to invest in CP. His name has been in the headlines recently for some bad allegations and I think that hurt his business greatly, and he has been closing multiple restaurants. His Food emporium at Tysons Galleria closed today.

What high caliber restaurant could Hotel at University of Maryland get in the place of Kapnos? Sadly I don't see much opportunity for upgrade, in terms of another top DC restauranteur coming to College Park but I hope i am wrong.

https://www.washingtonian.com/2018/0...mike-isabella/

At least three landlords are now suing Mike Isabella’s restaurants for unpaid rent. In addition to now-closed Graffiato in Chinatown and Requin Brasserie in the Mosaic District, Kapnos Taverna in College Park is also entangled in a lawsuit for breach of contract.
The Hotel at the University of Maryland, which is operated by Southern Management Corporation, claims Isabella owes $63,566.92 from January through April. The complaint was filed in Prince George’s County Circuit Court on May 15—before the other two eviction lawsuits—but has not been previously reported.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post

What high caliber restaurant could Hotel at University of Maryland get in the place of Kapnos? Sadly I don't see much opportunity for upgrade, in terms of another top DC restauranteur coming to College Park but I hope i am wrong.
While Kapnos Taverna is upscale and certainly refreshing to see in the county, I wouldn't necessarily call it high caliber. Requin and the original Kapnos were his high caliber offerings. Sure, it's a local DC favorite too. But if they do leave, I think Southern Management can locate an equally or higher scaled restaurant. Southern Management is a well-known company with millions of sqft of residential units in the region. So, they have a lot of influence if you will. Also, the Hotel at UMD is a 4 star hotel. You are not going to find a Subway or Chipotle there.

If they do leave, I will be sad. Their price points were nice and their food is pretty good. I especially liked their brunch.

Given the small size of the restaurant, I'm not sure a high caliber restaurant would fit. It will be interesting to see what replaces Kapnos if it leaves.

It's a shame that he closed his food hall in Tysons. It was cutting edge and had just recently opened.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 08-24-2018 at 02:10 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 02:21 PM

Found this today which may allay our fears....temporarily.

Quote:
Despite the lawsuit, Isabella says Kapnos Taverna is not closing. “Did we plan on having a slow summer? Yeah. But I’m not shutting down. We’re in the busy season now,” Isabella says. “We’re in negotiations. I hope everything is going to be fine. You know what makes everyone smile a little more? Seeing revenue. When you give people money they won’t bother you. Hopefully come Monday, we’ll have a good week.”

Old 08-24-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Found this today which may allay our fears....temporarily.

I only didn't include that because he said the same thing when there were rumors about Graffiato and another one of his restaurants closing. He said it wasn't happening, and days later it did. Heck I think he said even Isabella Eatery wasn't closing, and it did. Maybe with school starting soon they do gangbusters with the parents moving in their kids but yeah not a good sign.

Old 08-24-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
I only didn't include that because he said the same thing when there were rumors about Graffiato and another one of his restaurants closing. He said it wasn't happening, and days later it did. Heck I think he said even Isabella Eatery wasn't closing, and it did. Maybe with school starting soon they do gangbusters with the parents moving in their kids but yeah not a good sign.
I saw that statement about the eatery too. But that eatery was 41,000 sqft. The eatery was far too ambitious. I think the article said he had 12 separate kitchens and 300 employees alone at that location. Can you imagine the lease rate as well? That's probably what sunk him.

I think Kapnos in College Park tops out at a small fraction of the eatery in Tysons where the lease rates are cheaper in College Park than in DC and Tysons. That's why I think if any of his restaurants would survive, it would be the one in College Park. It all depends on whether Mike wants to salvage his restaurant business or call it quits altogether.

From the article, it says he's trying to work out a deal. I'm sure the Hotel doesn't want to have to close a restaurant and look for another. They'd rather keep Kapnos if they can. I would. The same goes for the city of College Park now having one of just a few of his restaurants that are still in operation. He still has a strong restaurant mix still in operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland