Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 12:21 PM

340 posts, read 377,455 times

Advertisements

https://www.bizjournals.com/washingt...more-than.html

Quote:
Online cybersecurity training company Cybrary will expand and move its headquarters to College Park, with plans to create more than 200 jobs in Prince George's County in the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 04:38 PM

283 posts, read 322,886 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...02b_story.html

Old 11-26-2018, 07:55 PM

220 posts, read 184,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post

SIX YEARS?!

Old 11-26-2018, 09:38 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,578,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terp80 View Post
SIX YEARS?!
I know. These damn projects take too long. We're all getting older just waiting to enjoy them. Everything in this damn country takes so long. The Hyattsville library finally broke ground after about a year delay. Riverdale Park station was delayed. The Purple Line was delayed.

Old 12-06-2018, 06:40 PM

@CollegePark_MD Dec 5

Exciting news: A groundbreaking ceremony was held today for the College Park Woods Trail. This trail will connect the College Park Woods neighborhood to the Paint Branch Trail (and the rest of the Anacostia Tributary Trail system).

Old 12-06-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
@CollegePark_MD Dec 5

Exciting news: A groundbreaking ceremony was held today for the College Park Woods Trail. This trail will connect the College Park Woods neighborhood to the Paint Branch Trail (and the rest of the Anacostia Tributary Trail system).
I did notice that they are building a trail on Cherry Hill Rd along the part near the campgrounds and Dept. of Agriculture property. Also, a new bridge was put up by the Seven Springs apartments over the Paint Branch stream. At first, I thought they were building a secondary road. The trail is very wide along Cherry Hill RD.

Is this new groundbreaking a phase of that construction? It would be sweet if you could bike to Silver Spring mostly off-road.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:50 PM

Taqueria Habanero Opens a Maryland Location With Meat-Packed Molcajetes

The D.C. taqueria’s second restaurant is up and running in College Park

https://dc.eater.com/2018/12/20/1815...u-college-park

“I guess word of mouth is traveling around,” says William Martinez, who handles marketing and social media for the restaurant when he’s not waiting tables or washing dishes. “The past few days have been really great.”

Really hoping Taqueria Habanero is successful. With Kapnos closing and the supposed ownership change at Old Maryland Grill (WaPo chatter remarked about it not being good right now, with original chef and owner now gone)? Need some standout food options in CP. Taqueria Habanero had a great rep in DC, so glad its in College Park now.

Old 12-21-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Taqueria Habanero Opens a Maryland Location With Meat-Packed Molcajetes

The D.C. taqueria’s second restaurant is up and running in College Park

https://dc.eater.com/2018/12/20/1815...u-college-park

“I guess word of mouth is traveling around,” says William Martinez, who handles marketing and social media for the restaurant when he’s not waiting tables or washing dishes. “The past few days have been really great.”

Really hoping Taqueria Habanero is successful. With Kapnos closing and the supposed ownership change at Old Maryland Grill (WaPo chatter remarked about it not being good right now, with original chef and owner now gone)? Need some standout food options in CP. Taqueria Habanero had a great rep in DC, so glad it is in College Park now.
Unfortunately, CP needs more chains. Even if they are local. Local restaurants that no one has heard of won't make it unless those restaurants have been around for decades. Think of restaurants like the long-closed Plato's Diner, Cornerstone Grill, Bently, and Ledos.

It takes a while for a restaurant to gather a cult following. The restaurant business is tough. It is even tougher trying to break into a "gentrifying" market like CP.

The following restaurants would work in CP but are in neighboring towns:

1. Burtons
2. Franklins
3. Pizza Paradiso
4. Sardis
5. Bird's Kitchen (Mt. Ranier)

There's a host of restaurants in DC that would work in CP, but CP is not as sexy or as hip as DC is right now. So, right now, we get one or two that will test the waters, and most will fail. The ones with an already established customer base will last longer. Kapnos was just bad timing with the bad situation with the owner and his legal issues.

Fantasy wish: Cracker Barrel

Old 12-21-2018, 09:58 AM

662 posts, read 784,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Unfortunately, CP needs more chains. Even if they are local. Local restaurants that no one has heard of won't make it unless those restaurants have been around for decades. Think of restaurants like the long-closed Plato's Diner, Cornerstone Grill, Bently, and Ledos.

It takes a while for a restaurant to gather a cult following. The restaurant business is tough. It is even tougher trying to break into a "gentrifying" market like CP.

The following restaurants would work in CP but are in neighboring towns:

1. Burtons
2. Franklins
3. Pizza Paradiso
4. Sardis
5. Bird's Kitchen (Mt. Ranier)

There's a host of restaurants in DC that would work in CP, but CP is not as sexy or as hip as DC is right now. So, right now, we get one or two that will test the waters, and most will fail. The ones with an already established customer base will last longer. Kapnos was just bad timing with the bad situation with the owner and his legal issues.

Fantasy wish: Cracker Barrel
Bird's closed months ago. Did it re-open? I highly doubt an upscale pizza place would survive in a college town anyway.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:12 AM

I disagree about chain restaurants. I feel like the better college towns have more mom and pop options, restaurants that are unique. The younger generation is also much more food-savvy, they want organic, farm to table type stuff. Not everyone, but I think a lot of these TGI Friday's and other mass chains are not doing as well as before? I don't know. Stuff like Cava is great, but at least that is local and has good ingredients, fresh food. Sweetgreen same thing. I'd hope we don't see more TGI Fridays, Applebees type places. Local chain like Ted's Bulletin would be nice.

And its unfortunate about Isabella's issues, I think Kapnos could have succeeded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland