Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2017, 06:05 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookingbutnotlost View Post
Thanks for posting.
I am not sure how I feel about even more hotels.
I think newer quality hotels are needed in the area to replace the outdated motels along route one that will eventually disappear due to the current revitalization.

Essentially, The Hotel at UMD, Cambria Suites, Hyatt House, and this other hotel will take the place of Quality Inn Suites (Gateway Project) and the Clarion Inn (Lidl). And once people prefer to stay at the nicer hotels, Red Roof Inn, Econolodge, and Super 8, etc would lose market share (hopefully). And give way to other development. Everything should balance out in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2017, 02:49 PM

220 posts, read 184,390 times
So at today's College Park Mayor and Council Meeting they will discuss a proposal that would turn the Calvert Road School into a day care. The city would lease the site to the University of Maryland under a 40 year lease.

Additional daycare options close to home can be very helpful in attracting more families to move or stay in College Park.

Agenda for today's meeting http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/documen.../031417RMP.pdf

Old 03-15-2017, 09:55 AM

A retail space in the Enclave finally has a lease more than 5 years after opening. The article mentioned a "dessert cafe." No other details have been given. MOM's will take over the entire REI site and will not host a co-tenant. I'm a little disappointed because the idea was that the co-tenant was supposed to be a cafe of some sort.

MOM’s Organic Market will move to College Park’s former REI site - The Diamondback

Old 03-17-2017, 01:37 PM

662 posts, read 782,508 times
NIMBYs are fighting the Chick fil A

College Park residents express concerns about proposed Chick-fil-A on Route 1 - The Diamondback

Old 03-17-2017, 03:01 PM

340 posts, read 376,383 times
Quote:
I'm not in favor of putting a Chick-Fil-A there either...it's corny. Corny like that stand alone Subway on Baltimore ave in Hyattsville Arts District. Prince George's County and particularly UMD with College Park and probably even Riverdale Park and Hyattsville should have a joint vision for how Baltimore Ave is built up.

What happened to putting Chick-Fil-A in the PG Plaza parking lot, that's still the best spot for it...put it in Beltway Plaza or put it up by Ikea or Shoppers if it must be in "College Park."

Last edited by DoughLow805; 03-17-2017 at 03:13 PM..

Old 03-17-2017, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post
I'm not in favor of putting a Chick-Fil-A there either...it's corny. Corny like that stand alone Subway on Baltimore ave in Hyattsville Arts District. Prince George's County and particularly UMD with College Park and probably even Riverdale Park and Hyattsville should have a joint vision for how Baltimore Ave is built up.

What happened to putting Chick-Fil-A in the PG Plaza parking lot, that's still the best spot for it...put it in Beltway Plaza or put it up by Ikea or Shoppers if it must be in "College Park."
I think that is a bad location as well. Personally, I think College Park will survive without a Chik-Fil-A. New restaurants are being added every year. We don't need a lot of fast food restaurants.

And the reason why Chik-Fil-A is not doing so well in Silver Spring is because there are plenty better places to eat. lol They need to get over themselves. If it was that bad, they would have closed their Silver Spring location. But I see they are still open. So it must not be that bad.

I don't want them at PG Plaza either. They wanted a drive-thru at that one in the parking lot. But that goes counter to what they are trying to do at and around the mall. It would be the ONLY drive-thru restaurant in the PG Plaza district area.

The Enclave has been without retail for 5 years. Perhaps they should put one there.

Old 03-17-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoughLow805 View Post

They didn't want a drive through. I never realized drive throughs were such a big deal. I like chick fil A and it's an empty lot. I hate driving to Laurel when I want a salad or a chicken salad

Old 03-17-2017, 09:35 PM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
A retail space in the Enclave finally has a lease more than 5 years after opening. The article mentioned a "dessert cafe." No other details have been given. MOM's will take over the entire REI site and will not host a co-tenant. I'm a little disappointed because the idea was that the co-tenant was supposed to be a cafe of some sort.

MOM’s Organic Market will move to College Park’s former REI site - The Diamondback
That's too bad. Although I knew it would never happen, I was hoping that the Green Turtle would re-establish itself in PG County at that location.

Old 03-18-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
That's too bad. Although I knew it would never happen, I was hoping that the Green Turtle would re-establish itself in PG County at that location.
Why could it never happen?

Old 03-18-2017, 10:56 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Quote:
Why could it never happen?
No (limited?) public parking.

Last edited by NJ2MDdude; 03-18-2017 at 11:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland