Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2022, 05:46 AM

220 posts, read 184,474 times

Advertisements

Construction of the Odessa Park project will be getting underway soon, as early as next week. https://www.kabircares.org/construct...art-next-week/

https://www.collegeparkmd.gov/310/Odessa-Park -
This project will create a new play area for neighborhood children. The parcel of land was donated by longtime residents to the City in 1999 for recreational use.
----------------------
Small thing but always nice to have playgrounds for young families to take their kids to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 06:25 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,752,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Wish we could grow into a Downtown Silver Spring type vibe with great sit-down restaurants and bars. All those millennials will get a big nothing burger when they get to Hyattsville and College Park.
I actually think we are headed in that direction although at a smaller scale. I think once we hit a critical mass of non-student housing things will start to change as there will be enough people to support retail all year round and not just when school is mostly in session.

I don't think we will get as a huge as Downtown Silver Spring though due to the area being a little more spread out with different retail nodes, like downtown College Park, Riverdale Station, downtown Hyattsville, etc.

Old 03-26-2022, 03:40 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post
I actually think we are headed in that direction although at a smaller scale. I think once we hit a critical mass of non-student housing things will start to change as there will be enough people to support retail all year round and not just when school is mostly in session.

I don't think we will get as a huge as Downtown Silver Spring though due to the area being a little more spread out with different retail nodes, like downtown College Park, Riverdale Station, downtown Hyattsville, etc.
Discovery Communications was a big part of that growth. Perhaps the Discovery District can do the same. Although as you say, on a smaller scale.

Old 03-29-2022, 11:21 AM

662 posts, read 783,172 times
Quote:
Discovery Communications was a big part of that growth. Perhaps the Discovery District can do the same. Although as you say, on a smaller scale.

And now that's gone isn't it?

Old 03-29-2022, 04:51 PM

123 posts, read 76,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by e2ksj3 View Post

I think that's right, though I feel that a lot will depend on the success of the Aster. If it does succeed, there's a number of other blocks that would be ripe for another mix-use midrise, such as the old Applebee's or the quickly decaying strip mall that includes Blaze (Popeyes has said it is "coming soon" for months now, and the Bagel place is closed for good). Another possibility given the advanced status of the Terrapin House project would be the block with NorthWest Chinese, though that one would be fine to keep as is for a while, in my opinion. More important would be to fix the block with the LaundryWorld and the never-to-be-build "District 3 Social House".

Old 03-30-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post
I think that's right, though I feel that a lot will depend on the success of the Aster. If it does succeed, there's a number of other blocks that would be ripe for another mix-use midrise, such as the old Applebee's or the quickly decaying strip mall that includes Blaze (Popeyes has said it is "coming soon" for months now, and the Bagel place is closed for good). Another possibility given the advanced status of the Terrapin House project would be the block with NorthWest Chinese, though that one would be fine to keep as is for a while, in my opinion. More important would be to fix the block with the LaundryWorld and the never-to-be-build "District 3 Social House".
I think the Campus Village shopping center would be the best next block to be redeveloped. It's dated although has some of the best restaurants in College Park. Would be a shame to lose Taqueria Habanero even temporarily.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I think the Campus Village shopping center would be the best next block to be redeveloped. It's dated although has some of the best restaurants in College Park. Would be a shame to lose Taqueria Habanero even temporarily.

That's certainly a block that needs developing, and in that case, I'd hope that they'd save some restaurants indeed. Taqueria Habanero is a CP treasure!

But I think midtown has a long way to go before it can be called "dense", and it is just to linear (concentrated around Baltimore ave). I was focusing on the downtown options because with all the latest developments it has a better chance to develop into the nice urban core that we were talking about.

Old 03-30-2022, 08:18 PM

Update on "Shop Made in Maryland" https://today.umd.edu/maryland-goods...park-city-hall

The only new information that I see there is that they should open this summer that they will occupy space #2. Site #1A will probably be a restaurant, and I wonder what 1B may end up being
Attached Thumbnails
College Park - News, Events, Updates, Questions and Developments Etc.-cp_city_hall_retail.png  

Old 03-31-2022, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerMD View Post
That's certainly a block that needs developing, and in that case, I'd hope that they'd save some restaurants indeed. Taqueria Habanero is a CP treasure!

But I think midtown has a long way to go before it can be called "dense", and it is just to linear (concentrated around Baltimore ave). I was focusing on the downtown options because with all the latest developments it has a better chance to develop into the nice urban core that we were talking about.
I agree. While College Park has come a long way in such a short time, there are still pockets that can get some redevelopment love.

Old 04-05-2022, 03:18 PM

220 posts, read 184,474 times
College Park is renewing VeoRide BikeShare contract for 3 more years. https://www.kabircares.org/city-to-r...-3-more-years/

Better than nothing but it would be nice for College Park to have Capital Bikeshare, which is the dominant player in bikeshare in DC and Northern Virginia and I assume parts of Maryland too. Maybe after 3 years it will be more feasible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland