Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 12:37 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,567,997 times

Advertisements

Isn't it about time for the quarterly College Park Development update to be released? There are a lot of projects in motion that would be nice to get updates on.

I'm particularly interested in the following:

1. The restaurant selected for the Cambria Suites hotel. It shouldn't be a secret anymore now that construction is more than halfway complete.

2. THat daggone winebar/cafe/coffeehouse/breakfast (D3 Alehouse?) place across from Platos that has been talked about and talked about, but the building remains untouched. Most recent article mentions a winter 2017 opening. As time moves on, that's less likely to happen.

3. Southern Gateway - Have the parcels been purchased? Is there a delay or will construct start as scheduled next year?

4. The Hall CP by Warhorse - This was supposed to be open by this fall I believe. But driving by, it looks as if nothing has happened.

5. Apartment project by Avalon Bay across the street from the UMUC Marriott Hotel and Conference Center. Is this close to being approved? DSP submitted yet?

6. APartment project at College Park Metro. When will construction start?

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 07-14-2017 at 12:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 11:18 AM

Kudos to Wallace Loh and his administration. Another talking point for economic development to help the town rise to the level of the university it surrounds.

Quote:
If you, a family member or friend are exploring schooling options, you don’t need to look far and wide as UMD is ranked among the best schools nationwide with the likes of Yale, UCLA, UC Berkeley, Harvard and Princeton. The rankings list, put out by Money Magazine just recently, also listed UMD as the highest ranked school in the DC Metro area, 34 spots ahead of the prestigious Georgetown University as well as other well regarded local area educational institutions such as George Washington University and Johns Hopkins of Baltimore.
https://maryland.ourcommunitynow.com/2017/07/28/2841/

Old 08-05-2017, 12:27 PM

282 posts, read 322,583 times
Nice! The one negative mentioned was the town of college park and slowly that is changing for the better. Interestingly the proximity to I95 was the reason given for CP not having a great college town feel. I95 isn't the issue, it's the fact that rt1 dominates the town (too linear) and creates a disconnected feel. Significant improvements are coming and CP will feel more and more like a good college town. Hopefully the university rep and rank will continue its upward trajectory as CP improves.

Old 08-07-2017, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyRoma View Post
Nice! The one negative mentioned was the town of college park and slowly that is changing for the better. Interestingly the proximity to I95 was the reason given for CP not having a great college town feel. I95 isn't the issue, it's the fact that rt1 dominates the town (too linear) and creates a disconnected feel. Significant improvements are coming and CP will feel more and more like a good college town. Hopefully the university rep and rank will continue its upward trajectory as CP improves.
Yeah. But that building fire was a big setback. Those nearby businesses lost out on hundreds of potential customers. Now they have to wait 2 more years.

ANd some projects seem to never get started. THe College Park update failed to mention the coffee/wine house and The Hall CP which was supposed to open n 2016 won't open until the fall of 2018. This is all when the permitting process was supposed to be streamlined two years ago. That's a hell of a delay just for permits if that's the case.

The Boulevard at 9091 was supposed to start construction in the spring. Still waiting on that too. These developments that were approved years ago are taking forever to break ground and the dates keep getting pushed back.

I went to Culpeper this weekend and they have a Lidl that is already open.

I think College Park may have to revise their 2020 vision to 2023. lol

Old 08-07-2017, 09:18 AM

206 posts, read 210,022 times
Things are moving slowly with respect to Lidl. Initially the Clarion Inn was scheduled to close in July, then October and now it is to be December. It looks to be tied to permitting issues.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
Things are moving slowly with respect to Lidl. Initially the Clarion Inn was scheduled to close in July, then October and now it is to be December. It looks to be tied to permitting issues.
Yeah. So much for streamlining. Unless there is just that much new development going on in the county. Which is plausible because this volume of activity is quite new for this county in recent memory. Lots of developments in the pipeline.

Last edited by adelphi_sky; 08-07-2017 at 11:05 AM..

Old 08-07-2017, 11:10 AM

282 posts, read 322,583 times
The 2020 vision was not realistic. I think 2030 is the target to assess how much CP has improved as a college town.

Old 08-07-2017, 02:48 PM

206 posts, read 210,022 times
College Park's Development & Business updates are now posted for the 2nd quarter of 2017. I noticed one new major proposed project for west Campus Drive.

Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 PM

220 posts, read 184,474 times
Council to Discuss Proposal to Immediate Transfer of UMD Properties to a Development Company | KabirCares.org

Thoughts?

Old 08-07-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcprtc View Post
College Park's Development & Business updates are now posted for the 2nd quarter of 2017. I noticed one new major proposed project for west Campus Drive.
Yeah. I'm interested in that one since west campus hasn't seen any development in a while. I wonder how much retail they will include as the Purple Line stop will be right in front of the project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland